Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, when put in my cobra hat with dual svt focus pumps will I be able to drive my car before tune. I would like to go ahead and install since I'm doing it myself. I can't get into my tuners place until mid January, and I was wondering if it will change things to much to still drive the car. My car currently is MMR 950 short block, stage 3 ported heads, stage 2.5 blower cams, ported typhoon, with a s-trim on 15 #.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Slightly different situation, but when my stock pump on my old 01 GT went bad, i put a focus pump in it and drove it fine. It was a pretty much stock car though, not sure how it would work with your setup. Id call your tuner and ask him

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
How long is the drive to the tuner? If your light on the gas and keep the revs down it should be fine even if its not perfect. Also your tuner may be able to email you a tune so u can get to the shop.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in a situation that I have the time and place to do work myself now. I can't get into see my tuner until second week of January. I was hoping I could still drive it up until I go get it tuned. It needs retuned after it cause I'm running out of fuel at 6000 and need to tune for up to around 6800

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm thinking as long as just upgraded the fuel system and you didn't up the boost or anything else performance wise then everything would be the same. Only difference would be a lower DC on the pumps.

Better fuel system just allows you to support more air, ei more boost. It's the tune that makes it add more gas, not bigger pumps.

Edit ... because of your ninja post.

Your tuner should have tuned for your lack of fuel at 6K ... ei less boost. I wouldn't think he would let you run lean and say "just don't go there". I still say as long as nothing performance wise happened, the tune shouldn't matter at this point. DC on the pumps will drop and let you get a better tune to feed the fuel up top.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
You shouldn't need a new tune. The ecu will or tune will demand x amount of psi to the inj.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I always figured there was a relationshipd between the volts and psi supplied. And a totally different pump would cause problems?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If your new pump can handle more than your current pump I don't see why the new tune would be needed. Sure it would help you realize the full potential of the new pump but I doubt you need it.

Although to be sure I also suggest simply calling your tuner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts