Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already entered and payed for the "to be judged" section in the car show @ Mustang Wek in myrtle beach this summer and i need some help getting it ready. I have never entered the car in a car show before. I have been reading some of these threads and i blows me away at how much you guys know about detailing! :eek: I also found out that i have to have my hood open at the show which i was not expecting so i need to kit up my engine bay badly. My exterior is pretty nice to me but im sure it is not to you guys lol so i need some help with what products i need to do a detailing overhaul like from wash to clay bar to wax or polish to sealant to hard water removal to engine bay detailing to whatever else. I do not drive the car and i am ready to start on it now and have until July to get it ready. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :D

What i need to do....... (educate me on products and techniques for these things)
-Clay bar the car
-Wax, polish, or sealant? Which order do i do this?
-Repaint my calipers
-Repaint my wheel wheels black
-Touch up a few chips in my rocker panel right behind the tire
-Polish or wax? my rims, pony in my grill, and exhaust tips
-Engine bay...... Dont know what all i need here but i KNOW i need to fix 2-4 chips under my CC plates where my old CC plates chipped the paint, paint my CC plates cause they look bad, clean the bay, shine up all the plastic's n rubber hoses, and get some kind of under hood liner to go on my unfinished cowl hood
-Clean my interior. What's the best look clean, shiny, flat, or what?
-Get the hard water spots off my windows

AND what else do i need to do for a car show??????????????????

Here is a few pics of the car, it is a lot lower now than it was in these pics
Will have some black leather and suede tan Corbeau GTS II seats in a few weeks, have new black carpet in my room and i know the pedals are dirty lol

It does not have the Cobra badges on it now, changed em to OEM GT badges

Has the third brake light in it, 3.5in rolled tips, and the SVT badge removed now

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please overload me with info guys!
Thanks in advance to all that help:D

·
I'm, Ron Burgundy?
6,908 Posts
I have already entered and payed for the "to be judged" section in the car show @ Mustang Wek in myrtle beach this summer and i need some help getting it ready. I have never entered the car in a car show before. I have been reading some of these threads and i blows me away at how much you guys know about detailing! :eek: I also found out that i have to have my hood open at the show which i was not expecting so i need to kit up my engine bay badly. My exterior is pretty nice to me but im sure it is not to you guys lol so i need some help with what products i need to do a detailing overhaul like from wash to clay bar to wax or polish to sealant to hard water removal to engine bay detailing to whatever else. I do not drive the car and i am ready to start on it now and have until July to get it ready. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :D

What i need to do....... (educate me on products and techniques for these things)
-Clay bar the car
For this, you can use the clay kit by mothers or meguiars from walmart.
-Wax, polish, or sealant? Which order do i do this?
Polish, Sealant, wax. For polish I would recommend Meguiars M205, sealant I would recommend Blackfire Wet Diamond, For wax I would recommend Chemical Guys Pete's 53.
-Repaint my calipers
-Repaint my wheel wheels black
-Touch up a few chips in my rocker panel right behind the tire
-Polish or wax? my rims, pony in my grill, and exhaust tips
You could use Optimum metal polish for this.
-Engine bay...... Dont know what all i need here but i KNOW i need to fix 2-4 chips under my CC plates where my old CC plates chipped the paint, paint my CC plates cause they look bad, clean the bay, shine up all the plastic's n rubber hoses, and get some kind of under hood liner to go on my unfinished cowl hood
Get you a good APC such as CG Grime Reaper and some Opti-bond tire gel for dressing the engine bay.
-Clean my interior. What's the best look clean, shiny, flat, or what?
I like the clean and flat look as opposed to shiny. Meguiars quick interior cleaner for this.
-Get the hard water spots off my windows
You could ttry vinegar for that. I've never removed them from windows so someone else will have to chime in here

AND what else do i need to do for a car show??????????????????
Also get you a good car wash soap such as Chemical Guys Glossworkz and a sheepskin mitt and 2, 5 gallon buckets. Get yourself a Quick Detailer to wipe any dust that may settle before your car is judged. A good Quick Detailer would be Chemical Guys

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i say find a hott chick to pose on it all day...

then you will for sure do good!

but i really think your car is really nice, a good detail will finish it up,

cant wait to c you at MW, im registerd to the non judged show

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
I could post my 3 page document that outlines everything I do before major shows, but you might have a heart attack :lol I'm also registered for the judged show at Mustang Week :)

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
im sorry a head of time but im going to be walking around with a ragin hard on all day at that show

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Ok, let's get is started in here, let's get retarded in here.

First, are you going to want to do any paint correction such as machine polishing? If not, then just by pass the area where I discuss that.

Now on to the good stuff. Keep in mind this is all my opinion, and other products can easily substitute for what I have listed.

We are going to want to wash the car and remove any residue and buildup from the ghost of winters past.

So here are the supplies you will need:

2 5 gallon wash buckets. These can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for a couple dollars.
2 Grit guards Grit Guard, Grit Guard insert, bucket grate, bucket grid, (optional, but highly recommended)
Assorted brushes for cleaning all those nasty areas.
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush,
Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts
Clean Vent Kit
Natural Horse Hair Interior Upholstery Brush
Mothers Fender Well Brush cleans wheel wells beneath the car's fenders. Fender Well Brush has a long handle to scrub behind wheels and tires.
Mothers Wheel Brush makes cleaning your wheels more comfortable with a rubberized grip. Clean your wheels with Mothers Car Care Products!
Mothers Detail Brush Set cleans crevices and creases inside your car. Mother Detail Brush Set includes 2 small brushes.
Nice washmit Mothers Genuine Lambswool Wash Mitt or Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt: Microfiber Wash Mitt, car wash, shampoo mitt
Drying towel Mothers Ultra Soft Drying Towel has a foam core wrapped in microfiber to quickly towel-dry your vehicle after washing.
Assorted Microfibers for touching paint DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel - 16" x 16" | Detailed Image
Other microfibers you can use for door jambs, underhood, interior and glass. You can get these at Autozone.

Start with the interior. If you do not have a good strong vacuum hit up a car wash, and vacuum everything. Go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover. Follow the directions on the bottle. You can use Folex on the headliner as well, just spray a MF towel with it and lightly scrub the headliner. For leather I love Mothers Leather Cleaner gently cleans leather auto upholstery without drying or fading. Leather moisturizers remove oils and stains from leather. Dressing leather is a hotly debated subject. Some believe you do not dress leather, others feel you do. If you choose to, Mothers Leather Conditioner is formulated from premium neatsfoot oil and lanolin for dry leather auto upholstery. works good. Next move on to the plastics. Zep Citrus at 10:1 dilution will work great. One of those toothbrush like detail brushes and a microfiber to wipe with and you will be golden. For dressing the plastics Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing makes me a very happy boy.

Now that your interior is nice and pretty, let's move under the hood.

Zep Citrus 4:1 makes it's face known here again. There is already an excellent sticky on this written by Emay, so I will not go in to it. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/72337-engine-bay-cleaning-look-here.html I just prefer the Zep instead of the Simple Green. You can use any dressing you choose. Foams work great for this. For the metal, Never Dull Wading Polish is phenomenal. You can get it at any parts store.

Now outside.

Start by washing the wheels. I personally love Mothers Wheel Mist All Wheel Cleaner cleans & maintains coated, painted, polished and anodized wheels without pitting the coating or corroding the for cleaning wheels & tires. Spray on a cool dry surface and let dwell. As it is doing it's thing, use Zep Citrus (available at Home Depot) diluted 4:1 with water and spray your wheels well liberally. I work one wheel at a time. Next, grab a tire cleaning brush and lightly scrub the tire. Use the Daytona wheel brush to clean your wheel. Make sure you get the lug nuts. Using the long handle wheel well brush, scrub the wheel wells. Now rinse with water. Do all 4 this way.

Next move on to the paint. Since we know it will be a rewax at the very least, I use a combo of Dawn, Zep Citrus and car wash soap. Overkill? Maybe. LOL Fill one five gallon bucket with grit guard with this combo. I use about an ounce or two of each for 4.5 gallons of water. I then work one panel at a time starting with the roof. I first pre soak the panel with Zep Citrus at 4:1. Let dwell for approx 30 seconds and then wash. Rinse the wash media out in the clean water bucket and then repeat on the next panel. Rinse the panels as you go so nothing dries on them. Work your way down doing the bumpers and rocker panels last.

Now dry that car!!! A leaf blower will help remove all water from behind the emblems headlights, tallights, etc. Blot the rest dry using your drying towel.

Go ahead and get a good quick detailer and clean your door jambs and trunk area. Cheaper MF towels work great for this. I use the Mothers Jamb Towels, not cheap, but they work great.

Next it's on to clay. The Mother's kit is great for this. Meguiars kit works good as well. Do not use the entire clay bar. Break off a piece the size of your thumb and work with that. Knead the clay often and use the supplied quick detailer to keep the paint nice and lubricated. Do not go in random patterns, try to go in straight lines. Start from the top and work your way down, just like the wash. If needed, you can then clay your wheels.

On the subject of wheels, you might want to remove them for all of this and have the car on jackstands. That way you can seal the entire wheel and clean the entire wheel. Plus you can easily clean the wheels wells, suspension, and under the vehicle. If you want to go that far with underbody cleaning, do that before you start the rest of the vehicle.

Anyway, back to paint work.

Now, if you want to do any paint correction this is where it gets fun. I am going to opt out of this area for know, only because no one will read the post because it will be even more long winded. If you want to do it, let me know.

Next I would recommend a good paint cleaner. Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. Your car being white, I would NOT skip this step unless you are doing paint correction. You can apply this by hand using Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal is an ergonomically shaped urethane handle that holds specially designed foam pads using hooks & loops.. The white pad will work great for this. Buff off with a nice microfiber.

Next I would glaze the vehicle. You can use the red pad from the kit above to do this. For a glaze I really like Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish - 16 oz | Detailed Image
This is good too Chemical Guys Extreme EZ-Creme Glaze with Acrylic Shine II - 16 oz | Detailed Image Again, buff off with a nice microfiber.

Follow that up with a good sealant. I personally like Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz | Detailed Image a red pad on your polishing pal and buffed off with a good microfiber.

Now, you could stop there, but hell, why? I love topping BFWD with a nice wax. For that I could recommend way to many. Here are a few:
Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax - 8 oz | Detailed Image
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax is Brilliant on Red- Awesome on Black! Souvern is hand poured, one container at a time, and boxed with an
Dodo Juice Supernatural Wax, natural carnauba car wax, Dodo pure wax, dodojuice waxes, carnauba wax, super natural wax

Now that you are done with that, go back and dress all the trim. I apply all trim dressing with a MF applicator and spray it away from the vehicle so I don't get any on the paint.

Trim dressing you can use the Adam's VRT above. I like the look of it and it is now water repellent.

For your tires it depends on the look you want. If you like a satin to matte finish then Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel is great. You can dilute it up to 1:1 with water to lessen the shine. If you want shine, but not a wet look then Mothers Reflections Advanced Tire Care dresses tires with a satin sheen that protects the rubber from the environment. Maintains supple, black tires or DP Gloss Tire Gel penetrates deep below the surface to hydrate and refresh dull, dry rubber.

Go back to your wheels now. You can seal them with the BFWD. For wheel wells Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Well, we are almost done. Now it's time to start cleaning those windows. A good glass cleaner like Stoners Invisible Glass will do fine. If you have water spot problems DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for works great.

I like to treat my windows to Duragloss Rain Repel (RR) #751

Now the day of the show you are going to want a good quick detailer, and here it is Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine, finish care quick detailer, ultra slick detail spray

Ok, I know that was a long read, and I am sorry. I also know I forgot things, so I am sorry for that as well. Hope it helps somewhat.

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
^ thats no lie, hott cars every where and hot chicks every where

hott cars+hott chicks= boner

and MP

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD
His list is short compared to mine :lmao

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
lol my car is in dier need of a good detail, it is in pretty sad shape

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
His list is short compared to mine :lmao
I did not go in to detail. :lol Thought I would lose the readers interest.

Your list is ridiculous though.

·
Hey Everybody, Come See How Hard I Parked!
13,873 Posts
Dave, Lets see under the hood! The outside with some polishing should look great. It sounds like under the hood needs help, so lets see it.

For interior. The new seats should look great, I always like Brand New floor mats for shows. Gives such a clean look!

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
You know how I know your lazy! You won't drive to my house to let me do all the work! :lmao
why did i know you would see that post...

im a very busy guy sorry

·
I'm Learning Drugs ΔΧ
5,214 Posts
tink im very interested in getting my head melted form your list. I wanna see what kidna work it take sot get the beauty to shine

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
tink im very interested in getting my head melted form your list. I wanna see what kidna work it take sot get the beauty to shine
Yeah, blow me......my mind I mean Tink!
OK....I will post it in this thread tonight :). I don't list every product I use, ...but I am very detailed on everything that I do. You have been warned :D.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Tinks list is great because it gives you a checklist to go over and a LONG list of areas to look at. Where mine was a generalization of things to do along with a product list, she actually has a detailed checklist of every part that needs to be cleaned. Between my write up and her list, you should be freggin golden.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts