Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some negative caster on my 02 gt that want to correct. What is the correct way to do this? loosening the crossmember and then readjust then realign or is it just in the cc plates?

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Drive car to alignment shop.
Tell them to align it.
Pay.
Go back in car and drive home.
That's how I adjust my caster

:shiftyeyes

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
I have some negative caster on my 02 gt that want to correct. What is the correct way to do this? loosening the crossmember and then readjust then realign or is it just in the cc plates?
CC plates. Although I would just have a shop do it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what I am talking about. Affected passenger side:

Normalish driver side:

The car track and drives straight as an arrow and has aftermarket CC plates on it. It just looks odd and rubs when in reverse and turning at the same time.
I know the previous owner had some front end damage repaired because the headlight panel is cracked in several places and the torch red is too new for being 12 years old compared to other parts of the car.

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Here is what I am talking about. Affected passenger side:

Normalish driver side:

The car track and drives straight as an arrow and has aftermarket CC plates on it. It just looks odd and rubs when in reverse and turning at the same time.
I know the previous owner had some front end damage repaired because the headlight panel is cracked in several places and the torch red is too new for being 12 years old compared to other parts of the car.
I would look at other things before I assumed that was alignment. Maybe a bent control arm or strut... that seems way too ****ed up to be just an alignment issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did the brakes yesterday and inspected everything closely and couldn't see any obvious bent or damaged A-arm or spindle. The k member even looked good but i did notice the 2 rear mounting bolts on the K member on that side were not centered in their slots. (if that makes sense) Is their adjustment on the K member when bolting it up?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That is not negative caster, something is misaligned or bent...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Do you know the history of the car, how long have you had it?

Has it ever been on an alignment rack, was the thrust angle checked?

Have you measured the wheelbase? It should be 101.3"...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
History is it is not a salvage title. I have only had it about a month, Alignment is spot on as far as driving it goes. Tire wear is not abnormal, no pulling or odd steering habits. Has unknown CC plates and lowering springs on it. I have not had it on a rack as of yet but i will this week and let you know what they say.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Lacking a salvage title only means it was not totaled, it could still have been crashed and poorly repaired--did you run a VIN check through one of the online services? I ran a CarFax check on my '03 before I bought it and found it had been in a front right fender-bender and the passenger door replaced--used that to knock $500 off the price.

Make sure they check the wheelbase, that will reveal if it is a suspension or body issue...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I ran the vin. It came back clean and mileage documented. When they check the wheelbase if it is off is that a suspension or body issue?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes I ran the vin. It came back clean and mileage documented. When they check the wheelbase if it is off is that a suspension or body issue?
It would be most likely a front suspension/K-member issue...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the suspicion that the K member is just pushed back on that side like you said cliff. does the crossmember itself have any front to back adjustment when it bolts to the car? I noticed while i was under it that the holes the bolts go through are slotted instead of just round holes. wondering if it got pushed back and never corrected just aligned.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have never seen a stock K-member with slotted holes, though some aftermarket units have holes slotted left-to-right or the front holes the size of the bolt and the rear holes larger.

Here's a photo of a stock K-member I found on the web--from a 2001...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bolts that go through holes at the rear of the crossmember are not centered in the middle of those oblong holes. In fact there is at least 3/8 of an inch of that oblong showing going towards the rear. Which leads me to believe the whole crossmember has moved back toward the rear on that side. I guess I won't know until i get it into a frame shop for them for a diagnosis.

ON a side note if I do need a crossmember would it be worth it to go aftermarket like a MM one or just stick with a OE unit from a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My vote is K member.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Something is f'ed with your setup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts