Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was the first time and will deff be the last. Took about 3.5 hours to get the thing out, kept running into issues. I forgot my swivel sockets at work so the top starter bolt was a complete pain. then one of the converter nuts got rounded off, took about half an hour to get that sucker off, ended up using an air hammer and driving it off. after I got it out I threw the dd converter in, went in without any issues but is pretty snug like everyone said. Also pulled the pan off and there's quite a bit of clutch material on the magnet so hopefully it still holds ok with new fluid. After all that I kind of had enough for the night, so tomorrow comes installing the shift kit then trying to get that sucker back in. anyone wanna help? lol.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I remember the first time I dropped it, all the bolts were rounded. The transmission shop that replaced my tranny before rounded all the bell housing bolts, starter bolts and driveshaft bolts. Not to mention they were all over torqued. But it wasnt bad. Everyone says the top bolt on the tranny is a bitch to get at, but **** I just used a 2 foot extension and a swivel and done.

2nd time I had the tranny dropped in about an hour. If that. Next time (if you have too) youll have it done a lot quicker, and a lot easier. Atleast you got it though.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
at least your making progress.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could of had it out in an hour for sure if I did it at work. if i owned a truck i'd prolly throw the trans in the back and tow the car to the shop to throw it in tomorrow. but sadly I have nothing :(

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah the big thing now is going to be trying to get it up on the jack while it's under the car. I really wish these trannies had a flat pan instead of a bit buldge in the middle. that'd make it soooo much easier lol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
you don't nessacarily need a tranny jack, I have bench-pressed several of them out and back in :cool:

there is actually a trick to getting them back in. lay lengthwise with the car, get the fukker on your chest, get the tailshaft over the trans X-member, benchpress into position, hang the bellhousing on the dowls, commence putting bolts in before the bellhousing falls off the dowls and the torq converter crushes your skull :drink

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
yeah the big thing now is going to be trying to get it up on the jack while it's under the car. I really wish these trannies had a flat pan instead of a bit buldge in the middle. that'd make it soooo much easier lol.
Yeah, on jack stands it is a bitch. It's not as hard if you have another person there just to operate the jack tho. I had the trans on the jack, aligning it with my right hand, operating the jack with my right leg, and starting the bolts with my left hand. LOL

I'm finding a lift next time myself. Cool thing is that I modified my mid-pipe so I can drop the tans with the exhaust completely installed :)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i had my buddy help get it in, wasn't bad at all, went togehter much better than taking it apart. what i did was had 2 jacks, put one in the back and one in the front, that way i could kind of angle it too so it's match the angle of the motor. worked pretty well.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I got a tranny jack at harbor freight, but its just to big to get under the car with the tranny. The way I did it was, had someone from the front push the jack through. I used my knee on the tail shaft, and my arms on the bell housing, and lifted it up, enough so the jack would go under the bellhousing. Where it meets the case. I would balance it as my friend jacked it up.

I also put a piece of would against the motor and front of the car so the motor would lean back, making the input shaft sliding in a lot easier.

When my friend got the tranny up to where it needed to be, I would use my knee on the tail shaft, and lift the tranny up and slide it in. Its not that bad. I did have a bruise on my knee for like 2 weeks though. But when that bitch slid in there, it was the best feeling :shiftyeyes

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I just installed my TH400 by myself with the car on jack stands. I also use the harbor frieght trans jack. What a pain to get trans on jack under car by myself. I get to the top bolts from the engine bay. My bolts are 8mm allen headed. I took a 3/8 8mm socket and remove the allen part. Then I use a 8mm gear wrench to tighten. Tubular k-member makes the starter simple to reach.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts