Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 gt about 4 weeks ago...put about 1200 miles on it. Anyways, When i start my car in the morning and the engine is cold, when i'm shifting from 2nd to third it grinds real hard even with the clutch to the floor... wont grind if i slide it into 3rd real easy and slow though. After about 10-15 mins of driving it goes away and i wont really hear it for the rest of the day. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Also If i take it back to the dealer will i have a warranty issue since i put a catback exhaust, and a CAI with a chip on? And, Will they have to re-flash my car?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I believe this cuold be due to the cold conditions, i have owned a few cars that have done the same thing, Could be because the syncros are cold, and the tranny isnt warm, but mine usually goes away after the first time i shift into second, does this continue to grind if you shift from 1st to 2nd more than once?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, its from 2nd to 3rd and yeah it does it about 2 or 3 times before it quits unless im really gentle when i push it into 3rd then it wont at all

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can't say I have had that issue whatsoever. Seems almost like the synchros aren't cooperating while cold. In any case, if you take it in for repairs and the dealer won't warranty it because of the mods, you're likely better off at a dedicated transmission shop since they almost never charge the enormous prices a dealership does. The computer should be no worry as there would be no need to reflash it.

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
I just bought a 2008 gt about 4 weeks ago...put about 1200 miles on it. Anyways, When i start my car in the morning and the engine is cold, when i'm shifting from 2nd to third it grinds real hard even with the clutch to the floor... wont grind if i slide it into 3rd real easy and slow though. After about 10-15 mins of driving it goes away and i wont really hear it for the rest of the day. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Also If i take it back to the dealer will i have a warranty issue since i put a catback exhaust, and a CAI with a chip on? And, Will they have to re-flash my car?
I HAVE AN 07 GT WITH THE 5 SPD MANUAL TRANS. WHEN SHIFTING NORMAL (SLOW) IT SHIFTED FINE. WHEN I TRIED TO HURRY THE PROCESS IT WOULD GRIND MOST TIMES GOING FROM 2ND TO 3RD. BOUGHT & INSTALLED THE HURST COMP. SHORT THROW SHIFTER & PROBLEM SOLVED!!
LUV MY HURST SHIFTER!!:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine does it on ocassion from 1 to 2. Not as bad now with the Hurst shifter, but still happens, and only when its cold. My problem is its hard to get it in reverse when the tranny's cold. Remember, the manual tranny has oil in it, and until that oil is heated up some, its going to be harder to shift. Every manual car I've owned has done this, or at least been hard to shift when its cold outside, until the tranny has warmed up. I had an old P/U truck when I was a teenager that I would drive once around the neighborhood on those REALLY cold winter mornings before I pulled out into traffic because it was so hard to shift when the tranny was cold.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Relevant information.

Mine is a month and a half old and I've got about 2500 miles on it. It's been doing the grind/buzz into 3rd since the day I bought it. It does seem to go away when it's cold, but I have an awful hard time believing the problem stems solely due to being cold. I've talked to the service dept. at the dealer to document the issue for when the transmission goes south. Read the thread I linked above.

There are plenty of people who don't have this problem at all with their transmissions. This is why I doubt the problem is due to the cold. I think the cold definitely exacerbates the problem and until the transmission warms up take the shifts into problem gears slowly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts