Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I really don't think they would because if they did then everyone would be putting 5.0 4v heads on thier older model cars lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thought so well would have been nice, on another note im stationed in ga now. Anyone know of a good 4v performance shop here for motor work I hear the ones in NC are the best.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Yup, complete new design, so it won't work.

If you got stationed a few years ago, I would tell you to go to Modular Powerhouse. Now... really don't know.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
What you can do is get a big bore block and that will let you have that 5.0 and allow you to use your heads.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah im so undecided on what kind of setup on the block. I know I want to forged the pistons and rods but them im just stuck. To stroke it or not I want to get as close to 450hp N/A as I can. Plan to put a small shot on it at some point. Top end will be the 03 ported cobra heads and fr500 intake full flap tb and 90mm maf. Stock cams so far:( any motor builders input will be helpful.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
If you want more displacement consider a 5.4 swap. Or if you want to avoid the problems that come with the 5.4, a stroker kit combinde with the 5.0 big bore block will get you a 5.3. Or you could save money and keep the block you have and just rev it. With the right cams and whatnot you should be able to clear 400hp with a 4.6. What kind of budget do you have?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have the long block 97 cobra motor with 46,000 on it ported 03 cobra heads and fr500 intake. I have about 3 G's to pit to the motor and maybe cams. Also have all bolt-ons intake has 34lb injectors have 90mm maf by sct will it be to big? Full flap tb ect..

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Well I say you should get some decent cams and take advantage of the higher revs the fr500 intake will allow. You should be fine sticking with the 4.6.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay thanks man, so pretty much attack the heads with cams and springs, thinking of raising the compression bad idea?

·
Registered
424 Posts
No, completely new design.
ummm i'm going to have to say you are wrong

The 5.0 block is exactly the same as a 4.6 except larger bores.

Turbo98 did a stroked/turbo'ed 5.0 block with gt500 heads topped with the coveted fr500c intake.

Talk about some $$$:eek:

On the same note, I like how the sheby boys are like "damn that new 5.0 is nice", when really its just another modular with a little more ci's...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I dont understand the hype on the new 5.0 its just another 4v modular motor, well yeah I plan on keeping this block for max N/A power and gonna build the block I take out for Nos or S/C if afford one down the road.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah I dont understand the hype on the new 5.0 its just another 4v modular motor, well yeah I plan on keeping this block for max N/A power and gonna build the block I take out for Nos or S/C if afford one down the road.
My plan too :)

I picked up a 99 cobra shortblock (no heads) for my 98 cobra

I will be doing the slightest rehone and alignbore with a set of stronger rods.

The higher compression pistons will make a few more horses for cheap XD

I'll keep the ring gap wide and when the time comes slap a vortech on....hoping for over 600rwhp.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good luck man yeah mine is getting there, you plan on using B heads or the 99 up C style heads for your build? I have a set of ported B heads sitting around..

·
Registered
424 Posts
good luck man yeah mine is getting there, you plan on using B heads or the 99 up C style heads for your build? I have a set of ported B heads sitting around..
SSR intake and serdi valve job'd b-head

Have both...ish (runners are out of the intake, heads in garage...)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! When you think you will have it all together? Just got off the phone trying to get the details of my block together. Have you ported your heads? Never heard of the ssr intake any good?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice! When you think you will have it all together? Just got off the phone trying to get the details of my block together. Have you ported your heads? Never heard of the ssr intake any good?
During the summer time. I'll either keep it or sell it. It is tempting both ways...
1998 BAB cobra with svo sidepipes, bassani cat-back x-pipe, ford racing shorties.

22,000 miles :eek::eek::eek:

I am planning a serdi valve job. That is all b heads really need. They dont need any more volume at all.

SSR intake is just a stock cobra intake with shortened runners. I have the runners out, but I am thinking twice before I cut them. Huge gains in the upper rpms and basically no losses in the lower w/ a tune.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay yeah ive jeard of them being cut out, how much does it cost to get that done? Well can you explain this serdi valve job alittle more? I plan to use the block out of my car and the ported b heads for a build too with what I have left over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts