Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of new (to me) 96 cobra :D

It has some things done to it like:
s281 wing
autometer gauges
bbk catted x pipe with mac exhaust
ford racing c springs & intrax springs (front?)
04 cobra rims

It needs some work but its a really nice car and I am very happy with it :)

Here are some shots of it:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sweet! How do you like the s281? Do you know if it's actually Saleen or Kaenen? I'm on the fence bad about buying one

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Keep in mind that with B-ports, the IMRCs get gunked up. If you're not deleting them, the easiest way to keep them clean is SeaFoam; I'd do it through the vacuum system every other oil change with my '98 Cobra and it at least felt like it made a difference each time (don't waste your time putting it in the fuel or crankcase).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys :)

Sweet! How do you like the s281? Do you know if it's actually Saleen or Kaenen? I'm on the fence bad about buying one
Yeah I would definitely get one! Make sure you get it installed right.. the PO didn't mount mine right so I'm gonna do it when we repaint it. Definitely get one!:)

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
That's one clean a$$ engine bay. It wasn't low on coolant was it the only reason I ask is bc you have the cap off. Nice ride!!!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's one clean a$$ engine bay. It wasn't low on coolant was it the only reason I ask is bc you have the cap off. Nice ride!!!!
Yes it was! Didn't notice it but the water pump was going bad so we replaced it today :)

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Yes it was! Didn't notice it but the water pump was going bad so we replaced it today :)
Oh ok I gotcha. That's one nice ride though and that's the only thing that stuck out to me as long as you solved that issue from the jump. Congrats on the ride!

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,085 Posts
Keep in mind that with B-ports, the IMRCs get gunked up. If you're not deleting them, the easiest way to keep them clean is SeaFoam; I'd do it through the vacuum system every other oil change with my '98 Cobra and it at least felt like it made a difference each time (don't waste your time putting it in the fuel or crankcase).
Funny you said that, since my IMRCs are stuck closed and i have a misfire in cylinder 1 :(. I don't remember the codes since i read them at school and forgot my printout.

Do you need to replace the engine oil when you run it through the vacuum line? I know it'd probably be better to be safe, but, i just changed the oil, and realized i was throwing the codes.

·
Livin' the Dream
303 Posts
Looks great. There will always be a special place in my heart for 96-98 Cobras. The body style was the first one I fell in love with.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great. There will always be a special place in my heart for 96-98 Cobras. The body style was the first one I fell in love with.
Same here. I had a 6er and I sold it and I found this one locally and jumped on it. :)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
man thats a good lookins Cobra!! I wouldnt run seafoam threw it for the first cleaning. The reason I say that is because if they have never been taken out and cleaned seafoam wont get the gunk out between the rods and flaps. I personally would pull them first, clean them and once you have them visually clean then start seafoaming. I hear you on the water pump, the water pumps on these motors fade fast. The impellers turn to tooth picks before long. Lots of air passages. Mine needs one... Great buy man!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
man thats a good lookins Cobra!! I wouldnt run seafoam threw it for the first cleaning. The reason I say that is because if they have never been taken out and cleaned seafoam wont get the gunk out between the rods and flaps. I personally would pull them first, clean them and once you have them visually clean then start seafoaming. I hear you on the water pump, the water pumps on these motors fade fast. The impellers turn to tooth picks before long. Lots of air passages. Mine needs one... Great buy man!
Thanks man! :) I'm really excited to start working on it over the winter! I have alot of stuff planned :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picked up an 04 console for a great deal today, $10! Also I'm buying a set of magnapacks :) Can't wait to get started working on my car :)

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Awesome, great find! I love them black SN95 Cobras! ;)

I LOOOVE the look of the S281 wing...Mine is a true Saleen wing and fitment is HORRIBLE. From what I hear, the Kaenen fits like a glove. I had to drill 2 extra holes and get the wing double sided taped on because when the bolts were tightened on both ends, the middle of the wing would stick about 4" off the trunk. I wanted the body guys to permanently attach it to the trunk with their body glue or whatever they use, but they were too scared I'd change my mind. Now the double sided tape is slowly coming off. FML lol

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,085 Posts
Awesome, great find! I love them black SN95 Cobras! ;)

I LOOOVE the look of the S281 wing...Mine is a true Saleen wing and fitment is HORRIBLE. From what I hear, the Kaenen fits like a glove. I had to drill 2 extra holes and get the wing double sided taped on because when the bolts were tightened on both ends, the middle of the wing would stick about 4" off the trunk. I wanted the body guys to permanently attach it to the trunk with their body glue or whatever they use, but they were too scared I'd change my mind. Now the double sided tape is slowly coming off. FML lol
Gotta love the black ones :naughty:

i'll be picking up an s281 wing as my next mod... hopefully. Gotta clean the IMRCs before i do anything to this car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts