Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New best after wheel/tire swap ...

Yesterday I went to Atco Raceway and did a test and tune to try out my new (used) Weld Draglite/BFG dragradial rear wheels/tires.

The wheels are 15 X 8 and the tires are 275/50/15.

I only got a couple of runs in because the track was absolutely mobbed with cars, but it was a blast looking at all the old iron (Mopars, Nostalgia cars and Gassers). On my second run I eclipsed my best time by a couple of 100ths (I know - no big deal) on a pass that I felt wasn't that great for me.

All I can say is the grip was noticeably better than my old setup: 17 X 10.5 FR500 replica wheels with 315/35/17 Nitto 555Rs! I can't wait to go back to the track and hopefully destroy my "old" best time. No more wheelspin on the first to second shift! It's time to make more power!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I would have gotten more runs in yesterday ...

First run was not too aggressive as I wanted to get a "feel" for the new tires - ran a 2.03 60' and a 13.50. Car bogged like it never did before though after it gripped hard coming off the line.

Second run I pulled out more aggressively but at my usual RPM (3600). 1.90 60'. NO wheelspin whatsoever still. Next time out at the track I'm going to push the car hard, raising the rpms on the leave, to find the limits of the tires.

My best 60' ever was a 1.87 which I did a couple of times.
I have a feeling that will be beaten soon ...

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
ahh I want 15in rims really bad...when I get a stall.

1.87 is good. but yeah you can get that down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What's the setback on those 15x8 rims

Saxman, I want a set of 15x8 wheels and DR's. What is the setback on your 15x8's ? I have a 99 GT and the rearend should be the same setup. I went looking for some wheels today but I don't know what that setback should be or whether I will need spacers to install this size wheel. Thanks.
My last run was a 9.26 on street radials with a stock rearend and a stock car but I was spinning ALOT especially first to second.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I bought these used all I know is that they are Weld Draglites 15" X 8" and they fit my car perfectly (I'm not sure on the backspacing - but the "dish" on the outside of the wheel is 2.5").

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Congrats Man!

1.7x 60'ft and hello 12's

GL!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Maybe I'll pull out the front sway bar this weekend and see if that helps.
I think I might need to put in longtube headers to get me to 12 second slips ...
I know 4.10 gears would probably do the trick but I like my car the way it is geared now for the street (daily driven).

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I was able to cut a 1.83x 60'. Woohoo! That was with no discernible spinning also. I launched it at 4400 rpms (first time revving it that high on the launch). It's fun trying to find the limits. The track was holding really well though, I might add. Lots of guys were running under their dial-ins.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Saxman, I want a set of 15x8 wheels and DR's. What is the setback on your 15x8's ? I have a 99 GT and the rearend should be the same setup. I went looking for some wheels today but I don't know what that setback should be or whether I will need spacers to install this size wheel. Thanks.
My last run was a 9.26 on street radials with a stock rearend and a stock car but I was spinning ALOT especially first to second.
Back spacing on 15x8 is 5.5, 15x10 is 6.5, just to let you know

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to Atco on Sunday. Test n Tune.

Got 3 runs in. All under 13.26 with a new best of 13.20 with a 1.83 60' time.
I still don't have the balls to come out of the hole any higher than 4400 rpms though! (I daily drive the car and I can't break it right now).

These tires are consistent and hook well ... :) :) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts