Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really see it anywhere, when is to early to polish/wax? My car has a build date at the end of Feb.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
As soon as you get it..there is no need to wait when getting a factory car.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Zero wait time when its a new vehicle since its baked

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! guess I know what I am doing this weekend..

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Good idea! I always do a full detail in the first week of owning a new car. It's better to get the car protected as soon as possible. Now what did you have in mind? I'd highly recommend claying it. I know you're thinking why? It's a brand new car. I shouldn't have to clay it. Well most vehicles are shipped by freight trains and railroad dust imbeds itself onto the paint's surface.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
This is what I would do as soon as I took delivery of it.

Wash
Clay
Ipa
Seal
Wax
Dress (trim and tires)

Feed leather if you got it
protect interior with something like Meguiars quick interior detailer its non greasy and can be used on every interior surface and it wont change the factory look one bit. 1Z cockpit is also very similar.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had planned on just hitting it with the clay and then waxing. I do have some light swirls and scratches since the dealer washed it for me, twice. I will be doing the waxing by hand so time and fatigue will be a factor. I am also not looking for a show stopping finish but really just want to protect th paint and make it easier to wash.

What is IPA?

I have already done the interior with the Meguires.

Still haven't decided if it's worth it to invest in a orbital buffer. I did my last two vehicles in pieces starting with the areas behind the tires and the back bumper. Every time I washed it I did another section until I had the whole thing done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
all the new clears are completely cured by the time you get them.

Ureathane is a complete chemical cure so no worries.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
What is IPA?

Still haven't decided if it's worth it to invest in a orbital buffer. I did my last two vehicles in pieces starting with the areas behind the tires and the back bumper. Every time I washed it I did another section until I had the whole thing done.
IPA is a wipe down using Isopropyl Alcohol diluted to something like 70% strength. Most polishes, etc have fillers in them which hide scratches. So when you're removing imperfections you might think you've got it 100% corrected when really the fillers are hiding the imperfections. Than in a couple of washes the filler is gone and you see a ton of swirls that just popped up out of no where.

I would really recommend investing into a DA like the PC7424XP or similar. It's a very good investment. I can't tell you how many nice cars I've seen at shows, they have great parts and a great theme but than only to see a horrible finish on them. Not many people want to take the time to really detail the correct way so it really sets you apart from 'everyone' else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts