Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Cervini's hood. They were great to deal with and I had my hood in two days. I'll be having it painted black to match my ride but need some ideas. I want to put screens in the two openings to help keep debris, dirt, bugs from going into the engine compartment. Anybody have any ideas.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Plenty of places to get screen at a premium but a trip to home depot will net you the cheapest product. Generally kept over by the sheet metal and steel plate stock in a bin.. Prime and paint or powder it and your done on the cheap..

There's screen material on ebay all the time, more that street scene gen 2 type look, I've seen the speed grill type material as well in the past.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Emay, Any ideas on attaching it to the inside of the hood. I saw the work you've done under your hood. VERY NICE. I thought about covering the outside edges of the screen with bondo or fiberglass. I'd have to sand and feather it in to the hood to get a smooth factory look. A lot of work just to add a couple of screens. Any ideas on a quicker and easier ways to attach them. I want the inside of the hood and engine compartment to look as good as the outside.

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
Looks sweeet, wish i could get 1:(

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
The hood I have came with screen but that's because the run across the opening is smaller, you will need to secure any screen you make about mid way across each opening to assur you don't have the screen back off and leave a gap..

Mine are screwed in on the edges and I know that hood has just as much girth to do something similar at the ends, but midway may require some brain power. Take a look and see if you have enough meat on the opening to put in a small screw. If not glassing it in will likely be the best answer..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Still waiting for the GT500 Cowl hood myself...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Emay, So if you have the screens in then you didnt get the ram air kit?

Just called cervinis to see if they have screens for the type iv hood but he said if you get the ram air kit then i wont need the screens.

Anything bad with the ram air kits?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Plenty of places to get screen at a premium but a trip to home depot will net you the cheapest product. Generally kept over by the sheet metal and steel plate stock in a bin.. Prime and paint or powder it and your done on the cheap..

There's screen material on ebay all the time, more that street scene gen 2 type look, I've seen the speed grill type material as well in the past.
i just wanted to say that your car is one of the sickest Mustangs i've ever seen!

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts

Just called cervinis to see if they have screens for the type iv hood but he said if you get the ram air kit then i wont need the screens.

I don't have the ram air kit because the procharger relocates the air intake..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

I've read that they don't impact much until you get some decent speed going, though that may have been unsubstantiated conjecture.

It seems like a really cool concept, but would probably be finicky to tune right. Wouldn't the different air flow at different speeds necessitate some form of speed sensitive tuning? Or are air/fuel already compensated for changes in speed in the conservative stock and custom aftermarket tunes?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Typically Efyl, the air fuel is non changing once tuned, what your essentially looking for is a cooler AIT, a cooler denser air charge is worth a few ponies.

Now, turbulance in the intake tube leading to the throttle body can cause bad MAF reads. This has been known to induce stall when coming off the throttle on a hard pass,and sometimes even when street driving and trying to make a simple stop. You won't know until you either dyno or road test. Some stumble and some don't, the stumble can be tuned out.

Since my car is procharged and the MAF is compensated for on the pressurized side of the blower, anything I can do to get colder AIT is a power maker...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts