Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty guys im getting a holiday bonus for working x-mas and new years and I need to replace my fried t-lok for next year. I was wondering if the ford racing diffy was any better then just rebuilding the stocker with carbon clutches? or would it benefit my 60's at all to buy some 400+ dollar diff, really don't want to blow that much on it but if it helps it helps. My car is daily drivin and drivin in rain also if this helps. If the stocker is pretty decent I will prolly throw in some 4.11's also, then I can run the taller tire Ive been wanting to. not sure yet if Im going to install it of have a shop do it, Ive never done a rear end before so most likely a shop so yea the cheaper the better

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what im wanting to do but I have herd of some pretty decent et gains from the aftermarket diff's but maybe Im buying into hotrod tv's BS, anybody have experience with a Auburn HP or something ? guessing what ever it gains would be about equal to the 3.73 to 4.11 swap anyway.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Run what you got! Rebuilds kits are cheap!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm.. well when all lean the same way I guess thats the way to go haha. Think I should bother swapping gears for a larger tire or just leave it, the fastest this thing will ever see in the future is 11.60's prolly because I don't need another caged car.

While Im here does anybody have any experience with toyo proxes tq's drag radials, Im looking at the 275/45/16's if I decide to keep the 3.73's also. I am just looking for something better in the rain and the LS1 guys seem to have good luck with them at the track but they are running 305 plus size tires. I hate to buy stuff that isn't made in the usa but they are cheaper and it makes me feel better that I'll be burning them :naughty:

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Hmmm.. well when all lean the same way I guess thats the way to go haha. Think I should bother swapping gears for a larger tire or just leave it, the fastest this thing will ever see in the future is 11.60's prolly because I don't need another caged car.

While Im here does anybody have any experience with toyo proxes tq's drag radials, Im looking at the 275/45/16's if I decide to keep the 3.73's also. I am just looking for something better in the rain and the LS1 guys seem to have good luck with them at the track but they are running 305 plus size tires. I hate to buy stuff that isn't made in the usa but they are cheaper and it makes me feel better that I'll be burning them :naughty:
I use Toyo luxury touring tires, and they work good. Theyre just street tires though. Dont know if that helps

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Last set of Toyos I had I tossed them with half tread cuz they were junk, slid all over the hell in the rain, this was a touring tire on my DD. I haven't used a Toyo tire since but personally I like the BFGs, no reason other than personal preference, the new Goodyears look good though.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I'm in the same boat man... Sucks. My car one-legs around corners all the time. Wet or dry. In a straight line its perfect, though. *sigh* when money permits I will rebuild it :)

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
hurry up and rebuild it already :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im prolly going to take the lazy route and buy the ford racing lsd just cuz its assembled and I have the money right now(which is rare lol). Is it stronger or better in any way than a rebuilt stocker? 31 spline is what I need right

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
do you have stock axles? I think they are 28 spline

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well shows what I know lol, yea I guess I'll take the cheap route and save up to buy my buds 347 bottom end thanks guys

·
get you some of that
12 Posts
I just went through the whole differential cluster f$ck. First I would pull yours out make sure the carrier is in good shape. After ordering a bearing kit, clutch pack rebuild kit and new spiders I found the recess area for the spider gears was tore up. That area of the carrier cannot be machined. Trash it. Apparently, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, you cannot get a 8.8 diff for 28 splines anymore from Ford only 31. I had just bought new axles 4 months prior and didnt want to shelve them. I found out Latemodelresto has a combo kit an 8.8 with 31 spline axles for $399. good deal but like I said I wasn't gonna park the mosers I had. So this is what I bought.

Mustang Differential Yukon Dura Grip With Composite Clutches 8.8" 28 Spline | CJ Pony Parts
This unit is also rebuildable. Great reviews from what I read too.
The only thing I had to do is machine the axle buttons on the ends so the crossover pin would go in. I read the button should be .240". I machined them to .245ish the first time playing it safe. The pin went in but I had no end play which I believe is .005-.040. So I knocked of another.005 each one and its good to go.
Anyway clean and inspect what you have first before you do anything clutch pack may be all you need. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts