Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it has been a very long time since I have posted. I never got around to buying a mustang, so I used what I had, an 85 2 door crown vic. After issues with the 5.0 it came with, I swapped it for a 78 351w truck motor and stuck a carb on it. Now I have to come to a huge decision. Should I keep the carb or should I go with EFI? I plan on boosting it some way in the future; either turbo or supercharger. I also have another option; I have a 72 351c with the aussie heads on it. With the windsor, I can not afford to get aluminum heads, I already have gt40 heads ready for it anyways. But the clevelands heads easily allow it to push 400whp. I also have both fuel setups for the 351w, the carb that is currently on it, and a truck upper/lower intake and throttle body, but not any wiring or sensors for it. I need opinions from those who are more experienced than me. Keep in mind my race weight has been roughly 3750lbs.
My best time so far has been [email protected] in the 1/8th(no quarter mile tracks around). Never dyno'd, but figure to have 250ish rwhp and 300rwtq.
The current car setup that pulled that time is:
stock non-rebuilt 78' 351w truck motor
rpm air-gap intake manifold
670 street avenger carb
d8 stock heads
lunati cam- .483/.499 [email protected] 112lsa
frpp foxbody 351w oil pan swap
85' van dizzy
backed with a fmvb c4 with 2400 stall.
3.73 gears and a posi.
MT street slicks
Shifting at 5300rpm.

Thanks in advanced for all the help and opinions. Also, the new race weight is about 3300lbs, it went on a big diet.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i vote 351 cleveland all the way

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha okay. But, I think I want to try the EFI 351w honestly. I am going to be going to VIR and racing with it, and I think a blown windsor may be slightly better than the cleveland. I have done a lot of research on them both, and the windsor seems to be the winner. I have a 72' ranchero for the cleveland anyways. I do however have the question of which EFI for the windsor. I have a factory truck style intake, but it is huge and looks horrible, not to mention the fact that it is horrible for performance. So I have been looking at the carb style intakes, such as the Super Victor and the Spyder intakes along with an elbow and properly sized throttle body. They look awesome and I can make them clear my stock hood for the sleeper look. Will the stock 19# injectors work with this manifold? I assume I need the fuel rail that is matched to the intake. Will the stock mustang ECU be able to run with this intake or do I need a piggyback, or just use a standalone, such as megasquirt? Any ideas on a throttle body size to support 300ish rwhp? If I don't use megasquirt, I will convert to MAF. And one more question, what would be a good in-line electric pump to use? I have a fuel cell now with mech pump and want to swap out to an in-line electric, unless in-tank is better suited for my application. This will be a driver at least a week out of each month.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I wouldnt bother with 19# injectors unless it was a bone stock 351. The 19s will be nearing thier limits with 300ish hp and a well built 351 should top that easily. A 24# or 30# would be better.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I just said that because I had a 70 Torino with a procharged 351c. It was a torque monster

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I will use 30# injectors then. And that pump will be easy to setup and I am sort of familiar with them. I do have another question about the fuel, is there a way to not have a return line? I don't want to have to run a fuel line really, but if I have to, I will.
Thats pretty crazy with a cleveland. Definitely fun though I am sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts