Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new exhaust set up for my 2006 Mustang GT. Currently i have stock cats, stock headers, and pypes muffler delete axle back exhaust. I'm looking at buy, New headers, New cats, and pypes bomb axle back. I need help on whether i should get Pypes long tube or short tube headers, and whether i should get Pypes o/r x pipe or o/r h pipe? I NEED HELP!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Long tubes and an offroad midpipe will be ridiculously loud, and that's coming from a 21 year old college kid lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you after straight sound or you looking for some gains? Longtube headers you will see some nice high end gains, but possible loss of some low end tq, with shorties your overall power gains won't be as great as with longtubes, but you wont feel robbed of tq either. X pipe has more a raspy sound while the h pipe will be more muscle car sounding. They say x pipe has better gains over the H, however I dont think its enough to feel that much of a difference, however most of us prefer the x pipe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have an exhaust clip of the Pypes o/r x pipe and Pypes Bomb axle back

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Does anyone have an exhaust clip of the Pypes o/r x pipe and Pypes Bomb axle back
No, but its loud as **** and sounds like ****. I ran it for 3 days before I put my stock mufflers back on. Freeway trips were unbearable and acceleration was painful.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yea don't do shortys your just wasting cash and eventually you'll switch to lts for more hp.. but its up to yoyou honestly.. I like the deep sound so ill be going with mac lts and mac h prochamber.. x or h doesn't really matter for hp gains just the sound difference more than anything..

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
A search of YouTube and the forum will answer each question you have.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Another option is to keep the pypes deletes and add M80 or Maganpacks to the OTA pipe. With L/T it will be loud but it should be tolerable.
Here is one with L/T and hiflow cats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ftc82mT7I

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you decide to waste money on shorty headers, a shorty midpipe won't fit - they're made for long tube headers. Offroad pipes and muffler deletes have zero tone whatsoever...mine literally sounded like an 18 wheeler. I would definitely recommend long tubes and an offroad H or Prochamber with Something like Borla Stingers or MAC Axlebacks if you're going with the the full MAC setup.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
do not get ptpes,made in china! i got two sets of bad long tubes before being upgraded to bbk for free.no pypes!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
You won't see any gains with a shorty, and I see you are in CA, do you need to pass inspection? Because you will probably need cats if you do.. a set of long tubes and a catted h pipe would sound good, I have longtubes with an o/r h pipe, it is really loud.. like the dude posted above, but we both have straight through mufflers..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Long tubes and an offroad midpipe will be ridiculously loud, and that's coming from a 21 year old college kid lol
All it takes is the right mufflers to quiet the system down to tolerable levels ;) I'm a college student too

·
Registered
196 Posts
You're in Kalifornia...

You can't do crap to your exhaust

Also, I have LT's, O/R H, and stingers. It was silly.

Tossed some resonators in and it was night and day. Super quiet at idle and cruising around.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I didn't even realize the OP was from Cali. Take it from someone who has gotten a ticket for modified smog (L/T headers) don't risk it or seriously consider. If you do decide to get L/T then don't draw unnecessary attention such as removing your front plate or tinted windows.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
I have pypes long tubes with a catted X pipe and pypes bombs. It's ridiculously loud, no way you get away with it in CA. My car can be heard almost a mile away when i'm driving normal.

·
Noob
828 Posts
I installed a O/R X pipe about 2 weeks ago... I have to say I really regret not getting the H pipe

·
Registered
273 Posts
All it takes is the right mufflers to quiet the system down to tolerable levels ;) I'm a college student too
I was referring to those in addition to his SLP Loudmouths. I have an offroad H and long tubes myself with Stingers....swapping my Loudmouths with Stingers was one of the best decisions I've made

·
Registered
273 Posts
You're in Kalifornia...

You can't do crap to your exhaust

Also, I have LT's, O/R H, and stingers. It was silly.

Tossed some resonators in and it was night and day. Super quiet at idle and cruising around.
What resonators did you add? I'm considering getting some to rid the drone at ~2300 RPMs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts