Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let me just start from the beginning.

I needed new exhaust (the old was so bad it rattled and I was able to twist it to get it to come out, didnt have to cut it haha).

So I bought the Pypes "The Beast" kit from American muscle (O/R X pipe and Violator Catback). And it was a beast to put on, needed to bend the hell out of the xpipe and cut a flowtube about 3 inches off so it wouldnt hit the gas tank.

After 2 days of fighting this thing, I finally got it on, even had to take it back out because I forgot to put the insert in for the driver side manifold. So finally got it back in, no more loud ass exhaust leak.

Drove it for a while and it sounded great.

After a few days I got sick of the stupid idle problem (I have had this since I bought it 2 years ago) where it would fluctuate, especially with AC running, and it also was making a noise at idle. The noise sounded like it was coming from the engine bay and would really make some noise when you rev up and let it fall back down. It sounded like metal hitting something. So I was going to have those two things looked at but first I needed gas, got gas, and the noise stopped..... ofcourse. So I had the idle problem checked out, I had some vaccuum leaks and needed the intake cleaned, which supposably was everything on air and fuel side (intake manifold, injectors, etc).

So now it is idling just fine, but the noise just came back on my way home today. It will stop than come back, and I noticed when the car is warmed up it seems to really stop, but when cold it does it.

It sounds like its coming by the manifolds, but it is hard to tell. I don't think it is the heads (I hope to god its not haha) and I do not have any oil leaks or power loss on the car, the only other noticeable problem is the car dropping to about 200-300 RPM when stopping than idling just fine.

What do you all think? I am sick of giving money to mechanics to "diagnose" the problem and than having another one a day later. Any ides?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Metal hitting? You checked to make sure there actually isn't any metal contact from your midpipe to your floorpan/frame right?

You might have that pypes sound ajm was talking about way back. Maybe if he comes in here he can see if your description is the same. Easy way to see if its your midpipe, is swapping your stock catted h back on and seeing if it makes that shitty sound.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
check the exhaust. 90% of metal sounds on cars are from the exhaust. make sure its not rubbing the floor board, frame, gas tank, etc. check the hangers too.

Also, a long screwdriver makes a descent stethoscope to listen for internal rattles/sounds. get it up and hold the screwdriver handle up against your ear and then press the other end up to the part in question and listen in. have a friend play with the throttle while you do this to see if its a rotating part.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i have heard some exhaust make noise, one of them was a pypes kit. should have never bought that kit. i hate their exhaust sound, and installed a set on a friends and it was a pain. the one i heard had a "tin" sound like the exhaust was expanding a muffler case and making it pop.

could be hitting on something though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some videos today that I will be uploading later once the wife leaves me alone :rolleyes:

I noticed the sound does not increase in volume with rev, but can actually be heard from a fall (letting off the throttle).

I will have those vids up later.

Considering a 302 though... 140,000 miles and one thing right after another, think its getting to be about that time lol

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I know what your talking about. Mine does it, its my cats. One of the cats is bad so the parts i it that filter the air are lose. When it all warms up it used to go away. Now it still rattles. But I put on a noisier exhaust and I can't hear it anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK!

Got two videos, first is of the sound, second is a quick rev of the exhaust.

and yes the drivers side does hang a bit lower, havent had time to fix that haha

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks make all kinds of sounds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have their violator mufflers and my passanger side has a rattle. i put it up on a lift and checked it it has a loose baffle. called pypes they said to send it in and they will send me a new one. mine sounds way worse than yours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A friend had the same issue but no metal rattling it turned out to be an exhaust leak. I didnt hear any metal rattling but if thats what you are hearing i agree it might be the cats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I dont have cats :)

What I do have though, is the O/R pypes x-pipe, and on the drivers side downpipe, I have a insert, that slides into the pipe for proper fitting onto the manifold... This insert just slides in, is it possible that is rattling?

This is what I have decided:

BBK Shorty headers, yep, f it, if I have to jack with this some more, Im upgrading, buying them next week, taking it to the hobby shop here on base, lifting it up, and beginning the battle to get the headers in.

Any advice on how much of a pain this is going to be?

Also if I do this, and the sound continues and I know its secure, ill push it off the lift and call the insurance company :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I just replaced the nuts with some new ones to ensure that it is cranked all the way down, and it is, still have a leak on that side, the blub blub blub sound.

Im gonna let it run and get hot and try to get it down some more, doubt it will fix it, I got a feeling the manifold isnt fully seated. Well, I guess I will get the BBK shortys on order and throw them in next weekend.... ugh lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No more leak!

I decided to just goto the hobby shop on base here and get it on a lift.

I lowered the exhaust out and removed the studs on the drivers side, one of them broke off at the spacer so I had to get a air saw (little spinning wheel saw thing w/e) and cut it off flush and than drill it out (DID NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE MANIFOLD!) and than the top one came out just fine with a stud remover. THe one I had to drill however I drilled kinda close... theres like maybe 2mm of space between the bolt and the world lol . But it works so :gives.

Replaced them with bolts and cranked it the f down. After wards I went on ahead and had too much trouble fitting the X back on, grabbed me a ratchet strap and made the stupid thing bend inwards so it would fit (their pipe bender was broken). Once that was done I was able to get it back on, got into a rush since they were closing and didnt notice but my passenger side muffler is too close to the body, gonna fix that tomorrow.

Brought it down, started it up, sounds perfect! and much more responsive!

It is however kinda spitting at about 1800 RPM, I will see if that continues or not., will be posting a new video tomorrow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts