Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get new exhaust. i'm keeping the headers (long tube, not sure what brand), but everything else is getting replaced. what's the best way to go, without spending an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would go with an off road h-pipe from BBK, which is about $120. Then I would probably put dumps on it, they are alot cheaper. Mac makes dumps that will bolt right up for only $180

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
yeah with the gt you might as well do dumps......if it was an lx i would probly go with pipes

·
Registered
528 Posts
well it is a 86 gt right?...soo its basically like a 87-93 lx soo stainless tailpipes would be what i would do, but a little more moneys...and i would go with dynomax racemagnum mufflers

·
Registered
88 Posts
dumps

saw your posts bout GT and doing dumps, how loud are they, and are they good for street or just track. Still have bone stock '90 5 speed original plug wires ect. Looking to do 3.73's, CAI, Headers and pipes (or dumps now that I saw that recommended).

Thanks,
rocket

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it is a 86 gt right?...soo its basically like a 87-93 lx soo stainless tailpipes would be what i would do, but a little more moneys...and i would go with dynomax racemagnum mufflers
yeah, it's an 86. and i agree with you. i like the pipes. to me, that's one of the best things about a fox's look. i'm just having to dump so much into this thing to get it up to standards, that i'm trying to keep my expenses to a minimum. i'm having to spend all my cash just getting it in shape. then i have to worry about exhaust, interior, rims&tires.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
saw your posts bout GT and doing dumps, how loud are they, and are they good for street or just track. Still have bone stock '90 5 speed original plug wires ect. Looking to do 3.73's, CAI, Headers and pipes (or dumps now that I saw that recommended).

Thanks,
rocket
obviously, this is not my car, but i hope this helps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
ya man things can get pretty expensive, just take your time with it and do it right the first time trust mefrom experience, you get in a hurry and take an easy way out and end up with something you dont like and wasted money. but dumps can get pretty anoining man...lol loud

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, it's not a daily driver. so, i'm not really worried bout it being loud. and i'm right there with you on doing stuff right the first time. that's why i took it to a reputable shop and said "find what's wrong and fix it." i was just a little pissed that everything so far has been stuff like brakes, bearings, cap/rotor, tie rod ends, spark plugs, rear main seal, tires, 4 wheel alignment, rear trans seal, a new starter, and flywheel. but hey, if it needs it, it needs it, ya know.

but, i'm still stoked about having this car. i've been wanting one for 15 years. and it may be a piece of ****, but atleast i've got one now. :D

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
freakin straight pipes, wtever your headers collect into 2.5 or 3 inch all the way back, do it yourselve if you can bend piping properly or just have a shop bend it and you put it in, do dumps or get chrome tips at the end if your going to go out the bumper

·
Registered
528 Posts
well its good that its just been the little stuff like tht, sounds like a good car. i know what you mean about wanting one bad i got lucky to have mine for my first car and ill never sell it. best cars on the planet!

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah. abuncha my buddies had fox bodies in highschool. they were always going to the track and it just seemed like so much fun to be a part of. i got away from the idea for a while. but, now that i'm older, and i've got a little extra cash, i figured, what the hell. i'm just looking at this thing like a project though. i'm in no real hurry. i just want it to be a solid car.
it's already got some mods on it. i know the heads aren't stock, which makes me wonder if the internals are. udp's, cobra intake, bbk cai, long tube headers, 3.73. it's got dumped flowmaster 40's on right now. well, it's got one of em on. the other is sitting in the back of the car. it got knocked off somehow, before i bought it. i would leave those on, but i need to get a new mid pipe cause mine has cats and i don't have the smog pump thingamabob. i read that you should run o/r pipe with that done. makes sense to me. i was going to do it anyway. and, i figured i would just replace the rest while i was at it.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will do. i'm going to pick it up tomorrow. i think i'm gonna tackle some electrical issues on my own and maybe some interior and then back over to Rick's for some more healing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Squints, you might want to check and see if you car will pass inspection with dumps before you do it. Mine had dumps on it and when I got it inspected I had to run tailpipes to get it to pass. They told me exhaust pipes had to go out from under the car. Not sure it is true but thats what I was told?

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Squints, you might want to check and see if you car will pass inspection with dumps before you do it. Mine had dumps on it and when I got it inspected I had to run tailpipes to get it to pass. They told me exhaust pipes had to go out from under the car. Not sure it is true but thats what I was told?
it's titled in GA right now and is about to be transferred to AL. no emissions requirements. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you do end up getting rid of your catted h-pipe, make sure you take it to a metal shop and they will pay you for your cats... I got $60 for mine and $90 for a cobra h-pipe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts