Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im ugrading my clutch and i got a new aluminum RAM flywheel and a king cobra clutch, also a aluminum driveshaft on A.M it says the driveshafts come balanced already but on my new flywheel i didnt notice any balance weights on it or anything...Am i gonna have to take it somewhere with my old stock flywheel to get the new one balanced or will it be fine out of the box? Also i got a king cobra clutch coming on the way am i gonna have to balance that into the whole balancing thing aswell? the new flywheel doesnt have any lines on where it should match up to the clutch and im sure the new clutch wont come with any alignment lines either. Will i be ok to just bolt it all up and make my own lines of where i first put them together at or am i gonna need to take all of this somewhere to get it balanced together? Thx fellas i just wanna make sure before i start putting everything back on and then have to take it off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just replaced my flywheel and clutch last week and there wasn't any alignment needed. But then again that was my first clutch and flywheel job.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im doing my first clutch job aswell but what did you do about balancing? Did your new flywheel come with balance weights or did you just bolt all of the new stuff on without any balance weights and everything is smooth? Do i need to take the new aluminum flywheel to a shop to get it balanced with my old stock one? And should i use some paint and mark some lines on the pressure plate and flywheel for removal alignment lines later on down the road?

Also i think i might paint my pressure plate with some 2000 degree high temp paint to prevent it from rust, I used a rattle can of this stuff on my new magnaflow X pipe and my clutch fork to help prevent those from rust, when i took everything off it was all rusted to hell so ima try to prevent this for down the road. Sorry for the noob questions i just wanna make sure i get everything right the first time so i dont have to take it all apart again cuz getting these t-45 tranny's off is a huge pain in the butt, but +reps for the help guys its been a long project coming along and i just wanna make sure i get the little details right before i put it all back together thx fellas.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I didn't balance anything bro. Just bolted on there because my previous oem flywheel looked them same. I didn't see any weights on there. I marked the clutch but jus for aligning purposes when boating it back on. I hope I don't need to balance it cause then I would need to drop my long tubes and that would suck lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that u mention it my stock one doesnt have any balance weights on it either but im sure ford did something to where it was balanced with the driveshaft and lined up right with the pressure plate and such... Anyone else know if u need to take a new RAM aluminum flywheel to a shop to get it balanced before install? Or are they made balanced and do not require weights? Just bolt and go?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Internet weirded out and it double posted, sorry bout that was unintentional

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yup no need to balance any of it.

Personally I would send the aluminum flywheel back and just have the stock one resurfaced. Its going to suck driving it on the street. It doesn't have enough inertia and you will have to rev the hell out of it every time you pull away from a stop sign or light just to get it moving.

No need to paint any of it. If Ford didn't paint it from the factory then there is no need paint it when doing maintenance, especially on a part that won't even be seen.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet thats so good to hear cuz i didnt wanna take em to a shop for balance. But i dunno the stock one is pretty old a beat up and im sure i can get used to the new aluminum setup. I just painted everything to prevent it from rusting up i figured it couldnt hurt since the stock parts were all rusted so much i didnt even wanna re use them. Plus paint that can stand up to 2000 degrees should hold for a long while i dont think it will chip and flake off into the tranny but yeah i might leave the pressure plate alone and just leave it with my exhaust, clutch fork and metal plate painted. Plus i ran out of it so i dont wanna buy another 10$ rattle can of paint, not untill i get a catback atleast to paint that lol i dont want my new pipes getting as rusty as the old ones cuz the old ones are pure rust colored. Thx a bunch guys ima start cleaning up the flywheel and putting it on clutch kit and driveshaft should be here today :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Aluminum sucks for 99% of street cars. Unless the car is super light it won't have enough inertia to get the car moving without leaving at a much higher RPM.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have an Aluminum flywheel on my camaro, personally made the car less fun to drive, gotta rev it to leave a light, during normal shifting the rpms drop fast, gotta tap the gas sometimes. but when the rpms rev its much quicker, I wish I had gone billet steel

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well i guess it doesnt even matter anymore cuz i got a defective product... The holes dont even line up for me to bolt it to the crank so hopefully they will take this back and il get a steel one instead... god i hate headaches like this... how do you screw up the holes where its supposed to bolt on to like wtf....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts