Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, i just got 1999 GT 4.6. And i wanted to start of fresh with people that knew what thery were talking about. so i just got the car home and decided to clean the engine compartment with the pressure washer,now i am getting a misfire on the 1,2 and 7 cylinder . so i blew out the area with compressed air thinking that might work but that didn't seem to help so i took the 5th coil and swapped it with the 7th coil and i still had the same misfire on the 7th.so now i am thinking it might be further up the line. any advice on this would be greatly appriciated. Tony Auburn Ca:)

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
Welome.

Not sure what is causeing it but pressure washing the motor should never be done. You got something wet that isn't supposed to be.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
welcome to MM...
maybe there's water in the COP connectors. did you disconnect them and dry them out as well?

·
Registered
748 Posts
if u swapped coils and the misfire didnt move, check the plugs/move the plugs. see if the misifre moves or stays there.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
if you want your motor to be clean, do the right way, clean it by hand, jack it up and clean underneath it to, best results with no problems

·
Registered
139 Posts
i sprayed my '98 with some engine degreaser i picked up at autozone for like $5....that stuff worked great! sprayed it on, rubbed off some hoses and stuff that were really bad. it was the first time i'd ever done that, and i'm thinking about hitting my new '02 gt with it every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
sounds to me like you got water in your cop connectors...Spray some WD-40 on the connectors and it will clear up your problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can spray the motor, just make sure it is either completly cold or running when you do it. Cold like sat over night and not started at all. You cant expect to spray cold water on something very hot and not expect a reaction. and like the other guys are saying the cop might have water hanging around in them disturbing the electrical connection. As it might be any connection that is in an upright position that could hold water or moisture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new guy/new problem

hey guys can you clear one thing up for me? is the COP connection the one that go's to the coil packs or the one to the furl injectors? Tony:sorry

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
it goes to the coils...

·
Registered
96 Posts
my buddy washed the engine in his 99GT and tried everything to clear up the missfire.nothing helped,so he left the hood up for 2 days outside and it cleared right up.it'll dry out eventually

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all you help

hey you guys thank you for all of your advice this weekend. with my major misfire problem.so i pulled all the coil packs, then blew out the spark plug holes with air. then i pulled out all the plus only to find that they were the oem plugs and let me tell you they looked like the were working over time smoking ribs over at Big Nate's BBQ. So needless to say i swapped then out with brand new fine wire platnium plugs from auto light,not cheap.but well worth it.i put it all back together and started it right up.its like a whole new car............ thanks again for all the help. Tony:D

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
glad everything worked out for you bro...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts