Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone names Sean. My friend dsmdave told me about this place. My daily driver is a 91 240sx pretty much stock just has full suspension. I dont have a Mustang, nor will I probably ever own one but... my project is going to be my 89 240sx hatch with a 4.6l Mustang gt v8. I've ridden around in several LSX powered 240's they were fun but I didnt feel like it was my style or see why so many people loved the LS series. Dave came by my house yesterday and I went for a ride in the mustang and I realized that was way more fun than any LS powered 240 I've ever been in. Only issue is it's heavy and basically a boat. Did a quick measure up and realized it would fit in the 240's engine bay and have been looking for a motorset ever since.

Plan so far seems to be:
-engine and tranny from an '00
-centerforce clutch
-custom driveshaft
-weld the crap out of my differential.
-SCT tuner
-custom headers and mounts.
-headers into an x pipe( or maybe an h pipe) into 2 exhaust pipes running side by side to the stock location on the rear of the car. (blast pipes style look but mustang sound :D) also all V-band flanges. Haven't decided if 2.5 or 3" would be a better way to go. All going to be straight piped unless its too loud then I'll throw on a glasspack.

Later down the road:
-bbk throttle body
-intake manifold
-maybe a blower?

Mounts and wiring isn't an issue for me since fabrication is pretty easy for me and wiring isn't as hard as anyone ever makes it out to be if you're patient enough.

Only thing I can foresee being and issue is the clutch on a 240 is hydraulic while the mustang one is cable. Might be able to pull a clutch pedal out of a B14 200sx or Sentra or B13 Sentra and modify that to work with the Mustang cable.

Will probably have a few different tunes for it: daily(decent gas mileage), drifting(more aiming for power), and one for highway use(best gas mileage).

Any suggestions, recommendations, or advice would be appreciated.

Flaming I'm going to expect. hahaha

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
awesome, can't wait to see the progress.

are you dropping in a 2v or 4v?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im looking at a 2v i dont think a 4v would clear sadly. it would be close to trying to fit a nissan VK56 in there. haha. talking to a few people about motorsets locally found one with everything minus the harness for 800 which im really thinking about picking up

also is there a number of posts i have to hit before posting pictures? i know some forums have that others dont.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
You hated on chevy :lol so we'll accept you into the club j/k

But really, that does sound like an awesome project. When you say weld the crap out of your rear you plan on welding the differential (drift car style or like my old jeep). Do those have independent rear suspension? Solid Rear Axle swap at some point?

I'm pretty sure there's no post requirement for pictures, photobucket or imageshack or one of those work pretty well. Start a thread in the projects section!

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
i think you only need one post to be able to post pictures

...i should know since i'm a moderator but i don't :sorry

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Project sound sick. Why only a '00 stang? If you could make the hydraulic clutch work that would be sweet!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You hated on chevy :lol so we'll accept you into the club j/k

But really, that does sound like an awesome project. When you say weld the crap out of your rear you plan on welding the differential (drift car style or like my old jeep). Do those have independent rear suspension? Solid Rear Axle swap at some point?

I'm pretty sure there's no post requirement for pictures, photobucket or imageshack or one of those work pretty well. Start a thread in the projects section!
yea the differential. right now its welded but i feel like its going to need to be a bit stronger to hold up against a v8 rather then a turbo 4 cyl lol.

it has independant rear and formula drift rulebook doesnt allow swapping subframes from anything other than your chassis or modifying the subframe(bracing it, moving mounting points, anything. dont ask me how the scion guys got around it though cause im clueless.)

definitely going to start a build thread after i pick up an engine. i dont want to start one then have it all come to a halt because im still waiting on an engine haha

i think you only need one post to be able to post pictures

...i should know since i'm a moderator but i don't :sorry
i figured id ask lol i know a few forums i had to wait until 10 posts to be able to post pics.

Project sound sick. Why only a '00 stang? If you could make the hydraulic clutch work that would be sweet!
well not only 00 i just would prefer a t45 transmission over the tr-3650 since i heard its a bit stronger. id take an engine out of any year (preferably 99+ since they make more power and generally less miles)

and i could try to get the hydro setup to work but im not that familiar with mustang clutch setups. probably would be alot easier to just swap pedals over.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:welcome to MM :)

Sounds like a sweet project ya got there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks man

definitely should be fun and should keep me occupied for a while =]

·
Registered
58 Posts
i wish you the best of luck man. i did a SBC swap in a 240 and had barely any room for headers. i can post a couple pics of how tight the squeeze was. sounds like it would be pretty bad though

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Sounds pretty sweet. Welcome to MM.

*cough cough* are you set on a 99+ motor? I have a 97 gt motor avaliable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wish you the best of luck man. i did a SBC swap in a 240 and had barely any room for headers. i can post a couple pics of how tight the squeeze was. sounds like it would be pretty bad though
ive seen how tight alot of things are lol. ive helped a friend out with his ls2 powered s14. not entirely easy but definitely easier then working on a 300zx lol

Welcome to MM! :welcome
thanks!
Sounds pretty sweet. Welcome to MM.

*cough cough* are you set on a 99+ motor? I have a 97 gt motor avaliable.
not set on a 99+ motor just prefer one. how much are you looking to get? and is it a full motorset? :D
pm sent actually much easier

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts

i was looking at that. seems more like he was putting the integra body on a mustang frame though? could be wrong wasnt able to really stay focused on reading it all
Yeah hes swapping the mustang body for the integra body. Your car is RWD stock though so a engine swap should be easier. Cant wait to see this.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Would love to see some progress pics as you go through it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah hes swapping the mustang body for the integra body. Your car is RWD stock though so a engine swap should be easier. Cant wait to see this.
ohhh ok so he was just swapping the body over. i wasnt sure if thats what he was doing or not.

my chassis isnt going to be changed. just going to make new transmission and motor mounts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts