Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I had the spark plug out of cylinder 8 come loose and destroy the threading on the cylinder. My mechanic is going to use a kit to try to fix the threading on the cylinder to see if it'll get the car back to normal, but if it's damaged beyond repair, I know I'm going to have to get new heads. So, I was thinking that maybe this might be a good time to upgrade a bit. What did you guys think of this kit?:

Trick Flow® Twisted Wedge® Top-End Engine Kits for Ford 4.6L 2V TFS-K519-380-375 - SummitRacing.com

Are the 44cc heads better than the 38cc? Is that a good cam shaft? Overall thoughts of the kit? And, how much of an improvement of torque and HP would that kit give me?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Correct. The 44 cc chamber is more aimed towards f/i due to the compression drop resulting from the chamber volume. The 38 cc chamber is more for nitrous and n/a applications.

Back to the original topic though, spark plug blowouts are quite common and are easily repaired. Your mechanic should be able to fix this no problem so theres no sense in spending $3k for a $100 fix.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless your timeing stuff is worn i would just get the trick flow heads and a different cam, And i think the difference between the 44cc and 38cc is compression? someone will chime in with info
What cam would you recommend to get with those heads? And would I need new cam gears and to degree them with whatever cam you recommend?
Correct. The 44 cc chamber is more aimed towards f/i due to the compression drop resulting from the chamber volume. The 38 cc chamber is more for nitrous and n/a applications.

Back to the original topic though, spark plug blowouts are quite common and are easily repaired. Your mechanic should be able to fix this no problem so theres no sense in spending $3k for a $100 fix.
Yeah he is fixing the blowout today but there is something else wrong with the driver side heads (can't think of it at the moment). I'm not rushing into buying the kit right now. I wanted new heads and cams anyway before I went S/C. Would the kit compliment the future S/C nicely? Also, are those heads the best trick flow heads? I've heard so much about how great TF heads are. Are they the best?

Also would I gain by getting new valve springs with those heads and cams?

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
If you are going f/i you should build a forged shortblock before buying new heads and cams.

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Yeah he is fixing the blowout today but there is something else wrong with the driver side heads (can't think of it at the moment). I'm not rushing into buying the kit right now. I wanted new heads and cams anyway before I went S/C. Would the kit compliment the future S/C nicely? Also, are those heads the best trick flow heads? I've heard so much about how great TF heads are. Are they the best?

Also would I gain by getting new valve springs with those heads and cams?
I'm gonna stick to the same thing I said initially..... you don't need to drop that much money on TFs for a spark plug blowout. If you are going supercharged you won't run out of air on a streetable application using stock, unported PI heads. I'm all for TF heads, they're great..... they just aren't for you. You want to know if they're the best?????? There are only three heads available... NPI, PI and TF. Ford makes the first two, the NPIs don't flow, the PIs flow great..... the TFs flow unbelieviably great. You don't need unbelieveably great. All "aftermarket" ported heads are Ford PI castings.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Ford also made svo heads.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Ford also made svo heads.
True. They were NPI and matched the SVO intake that evolved into the Bullitt. It slipped my mind... not to mention not worth buying in my opinion. They're so scarce when they do come up for sale they want crazy prices. If memory serves me though they flow about the same as a PI head right?

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
With .500" intake lift the NPI flows 156 cfm, the PI flows 156 cfm, and the SVO flows 193 cfm! At .550" the SVO flows 203 CFM. On the exhaust side, at .550" lift the NPI flows 117 CFM, the PI 136 CFM, and the SVO 141 CFM.

Reactions: bulloch27

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
With .500" intake lift the NPI flows 156 cfm, the PI flows 156 cfm, and the SVO flows 193 cfm! At .550" the SVO flows 203 CFM. On the exhaust side, at .550" lift the NPI flows 117 CFM, the PI 136 CFM, and the SVO 141 CFM.
I didn't know that. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts