Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Frank, and I am a Mustang-a-holic. I currently own a mildly modded 1987 Mustang GT that has a .030 over 302 (306), with an upgraded cam, 1.72 roller rockers, headers, exhaust, 5-speed, and a 4.10 geared rear end. I have been using it as a daily driver lately, as I am out of work, and had to sell my truck to pay bills. I purchased a 1996 Mustang with a 3.8/auto for a decent price, and replaced a cracked and leaking intake manifold gasket, only to find out the little V6 has a bad cylinder head.
The Fox-Stang is three different colors, needs a speedometer cable (using GPS now to calibrate speed), fuel level sending unit (stays on full untill tank is about dry then drops like a rock, tough !$% if you aren't near a gas station), a windshield thanks to a log truck, and is currently air conditioning, power steering, radio, delete.
The 1996 V6 car has nice paint (white), nice interior, and over all is in better shape. It feels like a better car to me just from the short time I drove it before the temp gauge started climbing.
What do you all think about me taking the engine, transmission, and gear set out of the '87 GT and installing them into the '96 Base model car? I would be gaining four wheel disc brakes, air bags, (more weight of course), and a tighter built car (as well as an actual trunk so I can relocate my battery).
I live in a non-emissions county in Georgia, and don't have tyo have the car inspected. I love my GT, but everyone that sees my '96 seems to really like it, and always talk smack about my poor little GT (until they ride in it). What concerns me are the following;

1) Will the Fox K-member work under the SN95 V6 car, or can the stock '96 V6 K-member work?

2) If I sacrifice my GT to put this car together, I would have to use the stock computer and wiring harness, right? Meaning my gauges most likely still won't work.

3) I have Weld Draglites on the Fox, but the V6 car uses the bufugly stock V6 el-cheapo looking 15" wheels. It would be wrong to convert a SN95 to 4-lugs, wouldn't it?

4) If I swap the 8.8 out of the GT, will the axles and disc brakes fit from the V6 car?

5) Accessories? Would I ever be able to run power steering, or A/C again, as my 5.0 only has a crank, water pump, 130 amp alternator, and tensioner currently?

6) Will the clutch pedal assembly work between the Fox and SN95?

7) Is the fuel pump different between the two?

I am sure more issues will present themselves, but I just thought I would ask if anyone here has done the same or similar, and could offer advice. Thank you for your time and advice on the subject.

Attachments

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Firstvquestion, you,re hard up for cash and contemplating taking on a potentially expensive swap and be carless for what could be a rather long period of time? Or am I missing something? I can answer all your questions later when Im in front of a keyboard and not on a phone.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Can it be done? Yes for sure. Would I do it if your low on funds? No way in hell.

Projects always become more expensive than you plan

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
Fuel pump/fuel system is different if I remember correctly. The 96 should be return less while the fox is return-style.

A 96 can use a foxbody 5.0 8.8 and it will bolt right up. All the axles and brakes and everything from the 94-98 V6 7.5 rear will swap right over to the Fox 8.8. But to be honest a well built 7.5 will hold 300+ rhp/tq. Up to you on that as either way you will have to rebuild the rearend

As for the 5 lug, keep it. Sell your fox as a roller or even trade the drag lights for a set of bullets for the time being.

What worries me is that you are out of a job and are contemplating a fairly parts/cost intense build. There a lot of parts you will need, such as the k member, optimally you want a 94/95 kmember either v6 or v8. They are the same. Fuel system, any accessory mounting brackets, air conditioning lines and parts. Brake lines/booster. It adds up qyickly. AND we haven't even begun to talk wiring or the needed mods to stick a fox trans into a sn95 body. GUESTIMATE $2500 plus or minus $500 depending on how thrifty you are.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Bear with me on this...

Youre out of work and sold the truck but bought a replacement you cant even drive and the 87 will be a donor for the 96? What will you be driving in the meantime should an emergency come up? Am i missing something?

Anyway, about the swap.

You will need to swap harnesses and the computer for sure along with various sensors. I dont know about the dash but im pretty sure that will need work to. Probably need to change various plugs throughout. Got a wiring diagram?

The 87 rear should bolt up to the 96 but the 87 is narrower so unless you have wider tires off the 87, it might look funny. You would also need to deal with the disc brakes on the 96. Does it have ABS? You will need to mess with new brake lines and no doubt a few fittings. Is the 87 still rear drum or swapped to disc at some point using an SN95 donor? Using the 87 4 lugs will be an issue with the 96 spindles. Different setup and mounting points. I would keep the 96 brakes. Disc is better anyway. Just worry about the axle.

The exhaust is completely different to. The 87 and 96 used different hangers and mounts at the transmission...

There is a bunch more stuff i am sure. Personally, i wouldve looked for a decent SN95 GT instead.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
The problem with trying to go 4-lug on the SN95 is that I think you'd have to have custom axles made.

Honestly, I think you'd be much better off tracking down a '94/'95 GT with engine problems and swapping stuff into that. Then you already have the stronger rear end, right K-member/motor mounts, etc, etc, etc. Sell the draglites to another foxbody guy (or gal) and use the money to buy some better 5-lug wheels.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Just for reference the k member for a 5.0 and the 3.8 are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
fuel system is not returnless on a 96, it's the same as a fox. Just get an sn95 wiring harness for a 5.0, from the computer out, and it should plug in. You can use the fox accessory brackets, but you won't have a/c unless you can fab some lines. The K members are the same between a 3.8 and a 5.0. You'll have to use the fox accellerator cable, and you'll have issues making the exhaust work. The rear end, you can use the 8.8 housing and the axles and brakes out of the 7.5. Fuel lines, you'll have to fab them to hook to the fox lines. It's not an easy swap, nor is it something I would attempt on a low budget. None of your fox wiring will work at all in the sn. You could try to make it work as a stand alone, but that would mean hours with a wiring diagram and some soldering. You'll have to come up with a way to make the fan work on the radiator too. No, the clutch pedals won't interchange between the two.
Posting on a forum gets you info and it also gets you opinions. Here's mine. You're board, at home, between jobs, want something to do. Put a head on the V6 and drive it so you can save some coin. You want a swap that's easy and doesn't cost anything, get a 4 cyl coupe and swap everything over to it. Make sure it's the same year as your GT so the wiring harness will swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thanks for the info! Didn't really expect to get this much attention really.. I am working again, and hope to get my finances back in whack in due time. (Luckily my house is paid off, and the Mrs. is still working). I have decided to keep the '87 GT together, and continue improving it. I will be selling the '96 to purchase a Mass Air conversion and other bits and pieces for the Fox.. As far as a driver goes, the Mrs. has a 2010 Challenger R/T, but I was a little hesitant to mention it in a Ford forum.. (I believe the Fox will beat the Dodge to 80, but after that, I'm in trouble). I was going to cave into opinions given to me by people that aren't even into cars (the ones that liked the '96 better because it was shiny). I bought the GT because I like the car, and I am going to continue fixing it up, because it is what I want.. Along those lines, anyone got an A9L computer and MAF they wanna sell cheap? Thanks again for all the insight, you guys rock!

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info! Didn't really expect to get this much attention really.. I am working again, and hope to get my finances back in whack in due time. (Luckily my house is paid off, and the Mrs. is still working). I have decided to keep the '87 GT together, and continue improving it. I will be selling the '96 to purchase a Mass Air conversion and other bits and pieces for the Fox.. As far as a driver goes, the Mrs. has a 2010 Challenger R/T, but I was a little hesitant to mention it in a Ford forum.. (I believe the Fox will beat the Dodge to 80, but after that, I'm in trouble). I was going to cave into opinions given to me by people that aren't even into cars (the ones that liked the '96 better because it was shiny). I bought the GT because I like the car, and I am going to continue fixing it up, because it is what I want.. Along those lines, anyone got an A9L computer and MAF they wanna sell cheap? Thanks again for all the insight, you guys rock!
Good choice man, I don't think the 96 is anywhere near as cool as the Fox. You would have regreted taking it apart. Keep the 96, drive it while you wrench on your Fox, then put the 96 up and search around for another 5.0 drivetrain for a swap. You can find parts for cheap if you have the time to look around. In due time you will have two cool cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a screaming deal on some stuff today! Mustang guys and gals are the greatest! Here is a list of the items I scored:
Granetelli 24# Cold Air Mass Air Flow Sensor
Accufab 70 MM Throttle Body
A9L Computer
Compucar Nitrous Kit complete with purge solenoid
Set of 8 24# injectors
Pro-M cold air intake
Autometer 2 5/8" Nitrous gauge
Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Thanks go out to my man Willie in Brunswick, and you totally made my Christmas! Can't wait to do away with the Speed Density on the '87, and see how it idles with the Mass Air on it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts