Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new here. My names Justin and I own a 2000 v6 with the mods listed in my signature. I'm trying to keep this short because I'm on my iPhone, but I have a few exhaust system questions.
1) I am thinking of getting an offroad x midpipe from American muscle. Would I need o2 extensions and would the check engine code make my car run odd or get less mpg without a tune or eliminators? Could I weld a reducer (2.5ID to 2.25ID) to the x pipe to accommodate what I already have fabricated (2.25 piping)?
2) I custom fabricate almost everything because I'm smart and like bragging rights about doing it myself. If I went to pick a part, would gt tailpipes fit around my axles? I'm sick of running dumps even though I love the sound. I know it is 2.5" piping so I would need a reducer to my flowmaster which is 2.25". My flowmasters are center exit so I would need to do a little work to get it to fit but I'm fine with that unless I run upon cheap flowmaster 40s with both sides offset.
Thanks, and sorry for such a long first post,
Justin

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Hey guys, new here. My names Justin and I own a 2000 v6 with the mods listed in my signature. I'm trying to keep this short because I'm on my iPhone, but I have a few exhaust system questions.
1) I am thinking of getting an offroad x midpipe from American muscle. Would I need o2 extensions and would the check engine code make my car run odd or get less mpg without a tune or eliminators? Could I weld a reducer (2.5ID to 2.25ID) to the x pipe to accommodate what I already have fabricated (2.25 piping)?
2) I custom fabricate almost everything because I'm smart and like bragging rights about doing it myself. If I went to pick a part, would gt tailpipes fit around my axles? I'm sick of running dumps even though I love the sound. I know it is 2.5" piping so I would need a reducer to my flowmaster which is 2.25". My flowmasters are center exit so I would need to do a little work to get it to fit but I'm fine with that unless I run upon cheap flowmaster 40s with both sides offset.
Thanks, and sorry for such a long first post,
Justin
1.) Do you have emissions in your state, because if you do you will fail.
Mil eliminators. They will get rid of the cel but you will smell fuel If you don't get it tuned.
2.) yes, If theyre not offset you will have to do custom fabricating

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't have emissions in my county. We have inspection which I don't know how I'll pass, but I will figure something out cause thats 7 or so months away. If I can't Afford MIL eliminators for say a few hundred miles would it mess anything up(gas milage, sputtering idle, etc...)? I take it the gas milage comes from running rich? I don't mind the smell as long is the car isn't being hurt. I plan on getting a tuner by next year, but I don't know how soon that will be with 120$ puny paychecks haha. So the bends of gt tailpipes will fit around the v6 axles and have clearance correct? Thanks Xzavier!

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
No I don't have emissions in my county. We have inspection which I don't know how I'll pass, but I will figure something out cause thats 7 or so months away. If I can't Afford MIL eliminators for say a few hundred miles would it mess anything up(gas milage, sputtering idle, etc...)? I take it the gas milage comes from running rich? I don't mind the smell as long is the car isn't being hurt. I plan on getting a tuner by next year, but I don't know how soon that will be with 120$ puny paychecks haha. So the bends of gt tailpipes will fit around the v6 axles and have clearance correct? Thanks Xzavier!
The gt pipes yes. IMO I would check your state laws before dumping money. Especially when it comes to catalytic converters. I live in tx, they use a computer to check. Performance might be effected without a tune.And your welcome. Just trying to save you money.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here they just visually check for cats during inspection. Thinking about leaving it true dual, getting tailpipes, and just gutting the 2 biggest cats and running pipe through them so they don't sound too hollow sounding when running

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Get longtubes while youre at it with high flow cats
some one should have some for sale....oh wait I do :D
Pm me if interested
03cristian

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Here they just visually check for cats during inspection. Thinking about leaving it true dual, getting tailpipes, and just gutting the 2 biggest cats and running pipe through them so they don't sound too hollow sounding when running
Get a mid pipe ran to flowmasters and call it a day.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cristian I can't pm you without 5 posts. I'm interested. See if you can pm me please :) Thanks!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Cristian I can't pm you without 5 posts. I'm interested. See if you can pm me please :) Thanks!
I just sent you a pm
Here text me at 912 309 9943

03cristian

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
Quick question to OP - Do you have a video of true dual dumped 40s? Thinking about this setup but I still have my reservations. Are you wanting to change from dumped because of the drone? Right now I have the stock Y to a flow 40 dumped and I like it, but it sounds a little ricey for me.

PM Me back if you feel it will derail the thread

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a video and I post them to YouTube. Not the best videos though. I love the sound, but it isn't enough for me outside the car. Dumps are decent loud in the cab, and you can definitely feel it from other cars in the pedal (drove behind mine once). I'm just sick of it cause it rattles because I need to get the mufflers in their little cabins, right now they are just hangin low on hangers. Sounds very nice though in my opinion. My YouTube username is Manofthewoods100. The videos of my car should be on there. I ran a single dump like you for a while and there is definitely a difference in tone between single and dual. True dual is much more separated in tone. Check my videos out with headphones or some good speakers and let me know what you think through pm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts