Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the forums, and i just bought my 4th mustang, first modular, and so far I've been reading about PI swaps, and all that, i guess my question is, which is better doing a PI swap and build up the 4.6 (its got 170,000 mile though) or just find a lightning motor or any 5.4 and build it up?

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
5.4 :) or pi engine

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im lookin for something fast and fun, i can take to the strip, and do decent, and go home and blow the fart cannons of a ricer. budget isnt too much of a problem, im saaving up now, i just want a goal to work towards, and so i know how much to save

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
well im lookin for something fast and fun, i can take to the strip, and do decent, and go home and blow the fart cannons of a ricer. budget isnt too much of a problem, im saaving up now, i just want a goal to work towards, and so i know how much to save
Based on that, I'd say to just mod the 4.6. Cheaper and easier than doing a 5.4L swap.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
finding a 5.4 and building it will be a couple G's...but better strip times for sure (assuming you got slicks to actually use the power)

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea plus like i said the 4.6 has pretty high milage, and idk what all else has been done to it, i like the idea of the 5.4 i just dont have much experiance with the pros and cons. im not worried too much about how much it will cost to build the motor, i just want an idea to shoot for. and if its easier to just pull the 4.6 and rebuild it or just build up a 5.4, cause i know im going to want to do more as i go, so im thinking ill have more to work with with the 5.4

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
yea plus like i said the 4.6 has pretty high milage, and idk what all else has been done to it, i like the idea of the 5.4 i just dont have much experiance with the pros and cons. im not worried too much about how much it will cost to build the motor, i just want an idea to shoot for. and if its easier to just pull the 4.6 and rebuild it or just build up a 5.4, cause i know im going to want to do more as i go, so im thinking ill have more to work with with the 5.4
While it's true that there's no replacement for displacement, there's a much bigger aftermarket for the 4.6. There're 1000+ hp 4.6s running around, so the displacement isn't really a limitation unless you have an aversion to boost.

There's one or two guys on the board that have done the 5.4 swap, I'd talk to them before committing to it.

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While it's true that there's no replacement for displacement, there's a much bigger aftermarket for the 4.6. There're 1000+ hp 4.6s running around, so the displacement isn't really a limitation unless you have an aversion to boost.

There's one or two guys on the board that have done the 5.4 swap, I'd talk to them before committing to it.
yea ive read a couple threads, and id like to boost her, and like you said theres no replacement for displacement, thats why i was thinking lightning motor, or another option is, ive seen 03/04 cobra blocks forsale on craigslist for a decent price. and im guessing both of these swaps would need alot of work to make them compatible.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
yea ive read a couple threads, and id like to boost her, and like you said theres no replacement for displacement, thats why i was thinking lightning motor, or another option is, ive seen 03/04 cobra blocks forsale on craigslist for a decent price. and im guessing both of these swaps would need alot of work to make them compatible.
Only advantage to the '03/04 block is that it already has a fully-forged bottom end installed from Ford. Near as I know there's nothing special about the Terminator block itself.

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only advantage to the '03/04 block is that it already has a fully-forged bottom end installed from Ford. Near as I know there's nothing special about the Terminator block itself.
what else would i have to change since its a 4v?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
what else would i have to change since its a 4v?
don't have to change anything to use the short block, the longblock is a diffrent story. best set is like others have said, pick a direction first (ie. daily driver, drag, etc.) then look into your options for a motor.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
to do a cobra motor you need: motor and complete wiring harness, fuel ****, ECU, etc. and the transmission is strongly suggested

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd think that would be the easiest thing to do, because you know it already works. plus its a REALLY popular engine so theres a bunch of shiznatch availabe, like that otha dude said

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sounds good, plus lower miles would be great haha. i guess im just thinkin like a pushrod guy, bigger the better, hell even my old boat had a 454 in it, so i guess old habbits die hard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts