Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the forum today. My goal is to talk to other GT owners who are also seeking to pump as much horsepower out of their cars without going bankrupt or getting divorced. My goal is to add a supercharger, exhaust (with headers), and beef up the suspension in my 08 GT. I have been searching far and wide for the best supercharger, the best exhaust note while conserving long distance driving interior sound, and the most effective suspension components. I am also trying to find some unique headlights and tail lights, and a body kit that is not just your every day cookie cutter design. I love my mustang but I know that because of it's popularity I have to try extremely hard to make it unique. My supercharger options so far are the Kenne Bell stage two, the Procharger stage 2, and the Ford Racing 550 roots style. I need to know if any of you have these and the pros and cons for each. I'm also thinking about a Borla or Bassani Exhaust, but don't know if magnaflow or flowmaster is just as good. If anyone can help point me in the right direction ,I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
first off welcome to the forums second pics??? and third ( everyone is gonna tell you this one ) get familiar with the search function it can help you answer all your questions

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Welcome newb,
On top of using the search button, try asking one question at a time. There are few people on here who are going to type out a response to as many questions you did on your post.

First off, what kind of supercharger are you looking at? you mentioned a few and they are all different kinds so it's a little hard to determine what direction you are going in.

Second, exterior mods are very personal. It's pretty much what you like. Most people here will tell you to go with what you like as long as it's not too ricey.
I'm looking at front facias right now and want something unique also. Roush and Saleen are good looking kits but I see too many of them around so I am looking at the Street Scene Generation 2.

Exhuast, again is personal. Kooks and Macs I think are the best performers out there, Bassani is right there too. Many will say stay away from the chambered mufflers and go with a straight through design. Again it's what you want there and what kind of sound you are looking for.

As far as suspension, there are quite a few good companies out there, BMR, Steeda, Che, etc. The only suggestions that I have here are for you to determine what you want to improve on, ie 1/4 mile, street, autoX to help us guide you in a direction. The other is try to stay with one manufacturer, parts tend to work and fit together better from one company as opposed to piecing together stuff from all over.

Use the search feature. You will find that all of these options have been discussed and argued over and over again on here. Then after reading through all of that ask specific questions that you still may have and you will find plenty of peeps here willing to help you out.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What is your budget?

All at once, or a la carte' build?

I just joined the forum today. My goal is to talk to other GT owners who are also seeking to pump as much horsepower out of their cars without going bankrupt or getting divorced. My goal is to add a supercharger, exhaust (with headers), and beef up the suspension in my 08 GT. I have been searching far and wide for the best supercharger, the best exhaust note while conserving long distance driving interior sound, and the most effective suspension components. I am also trying to find some unique headlights and tail lights, and a body kit that is not just your every day cookie cutter design. I love my mustang but I know that because of it's popularity I have to try extremely hard to make it unique. My supercharger options so far are the Kenne Bell stage two, the Procharger stage 2, and the Ford Racing 550 roots style. I need to know if any of you have these and the pros and cons for each. I'm also thinking about a Borla or Bassani Exhaust, but don't know if magnaflow or flowmaster is just as good. If anyone can help point me in the right direction ,I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Welcome to Modded Mustangs, and don't let these guys badger you.

Do you want a positive displacement blower, or a centrifigul blower? What looks are you going for with the body? Are you open to suggestions?

If so I reccomend a GT500KR hood, front fascia, headlights, grille, and a saleen rear wing. Along with suspension, and some badass wheels that would be one bad bitch with 500+ rwhp.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome to MM, there is alot of good info on here and alot of experience with modding the S197 Mustangs.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Welcome to Modded Mustangs, and don't let these guys badger you.

Do you want a positive displacement blower, or a centrifigul blower? What looks are you going for with the body? Are you open to suggestions?

If so I reccomend a GT500KR hood, front fascia, headlights, grille, and a saleen rear wing. Along with suspension, and some badass wheels that would be one bad bitch with 500+ rwhp.

Were not badgering, we're just trying to figure out which dark path of modding mayhem to take this gentelman down. He painted some pretty broad strokes so we need to find out what he's looking to gain.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What is your long term goal for this car? Weekend drag car? Just a fun Daily driver? Show car? It is easier to help you with more info.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Shark infested.... do you refer to you or others???

Welcome to the OP... if you want replies and suggestions about a topic,search functioned or not ,you really do need to put what your subject is in the title of your post...or in this case it might be better to have more than one as suggested above.
I run a Kenne Bell 2.6 on my ride and love the crap out of it... but I wouldn't tell you to get a KB because it is not my place... decide what you want first... pretty,or power...and make some sort of budget... and a plan... I have had my 06 for 2 years now and I have never stopped changing stuff.. it is my hobby as well as a fast ass sleeper... the guys in here are great for the most part so welcome again and mod on.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Well if you plan to go F/I i reccomend saving up for that first. Kenne Bell, Roush TVS, Procharger, Hell even the Edelbrock are good blowers.

They'res also turbo, and nitrous so dont rule those out.

As far as not your run of the mill body kits-

Www.cervinis.com

Suspension, Gears, and even the Supercharger I reccomend RAD Mustangs Performance Parts Shop

There are alot of great exhaust setups. On the top of the 2005 section theres a post with a lot of them. Its better to hear the notes in person though.

I personally run an O/R H Pipe and FRPP Stinger axle backs and get numerous compliments daily.

As for Headlights and Tailights thats up to you. I reccomend leaving them stock and just adding HID lights, and Sequentails. I tried different headlights, I hated them and threw them out.

Any more questions Im happy to help

·
Registered
932 Posts
punisher08gt, my goals are similar to your's and based on my experience I would not spend any money on something that is going to be made obsolete or irrelevant by your supercharger. That would include and air intake and headers. Headers do add power, but any supercharger is going to have the potential to supply more power than is safe for the engine. So skip the headers.

If I did it again, I'd save for the super charger before any other performance mod. I would pick a muffler for sound while leaving the exhaust manifolds alone and leaving the midpipe alone except that I'd still put in high flow cats.

I haven't done a suspension mod yet (supercharger install is in progress). But I'm going with the school of thought that says put the power on first and then mod what needs fixing. A whole lot of other people would do the suspension first.

Body mods...I like mine. Whether they come first or last is just personal taste.

As far as which supercharger? The first choice is what type twin screw/TVS, or centri. The difference there is substantial and again comes down to what you're looking for out of the supercharger. After deciding on which type of supercharger, I think you cannot really make a bad choice (except maybe for the Roush M90..and I still wouldn't call that bad, just very limited).

I chose an Edelbrock because its power/boost ratio is high, it shines in the lower power bands which I would enjoy in my daily driver, intercooler & heat exchanger is huge, it doesn't whine much under WOT (many would prefer whine), and I like the look.

My brief opinions on other twin screw/TVS makes

Biggest power potential (only matters for forged motors), also very quiet: Kenne Bell, honorable mention to Roush TVS

Probably the most used, tried, tested, and mature: whipple (also a whiner), saleen (less whine, but still whines)

Most questionable parent company: saleen (honorable mention Techco for actually going out of business)

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site.

What you have said is very broad, we need some more information in order to help you the best we can.

What are your goals for the car? What will you be doing with it? Showing it? Racing it? Weekend cruiser?

And as others have said, the search feature is a great tool, because the questions you have, have already been answered in the past, there is a wealth of information already on the forum that you can look through.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
It would also be nice if he responded to our responses....

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
We spent all that time typing our posts and he is just gonna sell it for a FIAT...sigh

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mod Combos

Thanks a lot for all of your posts guys, it's all very helpful. In return I think I can clarify a little bit more about my goals. Firstly, I'm actually in transition from Utah to Italy. I'm in the military and these last few days before leaving have been extremely hectic. Secondly, My overall goal is to have a very good looking street machine that can pick on other cars faster or not. I am a racer through and through, so I definitely want it to perform well at the track and still be able to take it home via the free way and just enjoy the cool night air.

As far as superchargers go, I want something that has a decent amount of boost while putting me into the high 4's low 5's for horsepower without much internal modification (for now). Which also means that I want something that I can easily adjust the boost later on. I was dead set on the Procharger... until I heard it on an S197. WAY too much whine. When I'm sitting at a light, I want just a smooth purr, then when I hit it I want it to scream. So then I decided to go back to the roots style, even though I don't like the high rpm drop off that seems to come with them. So I checked out FRPP, but they seem expensive and the horsepower doesn't seem to keep up with some of the others. Maybe it is still good because it doesn't require any internal swaps... The TVS seems cool, but I don't know much about it. It seems very efficient, but I don't know if anyone has installed/had any problems with it. So on this topic I'm pretty much open to suggestions. I really want to hear horror stories so that I can base my decision on bad word of mouth if that makes sense. My baby is black (pictures coming today probably) and I like the stealthy subtleness it carries with that. I want a lean and sleek but aggressive look for it. I'm also trying to black out the headlights and tail lights while getting clear markers for the rest. As far as rims, I go back and forth on that almost every day it seems. I want 20's for sure, also staggered to fit some fatter tires on, but I can't decide to stay with chrome or go to black with a chrome lip or black with a red pinstripe lip... oh well that will come. My budget is limited for now, and it is definitely going to be an alacarte build. My first goal is power first, so supercharger. I hope that helps you guys out a little bit better, and again I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha! I'm a true Mustang owner... I will only sell it to save one of my family members... maybe. ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only video I've seen of the Procharger on the S197 sounded like a fighter jet taking off... I don't care for that much whine while i'm just idling. Maybe it was just his car. Does yours have a lot of whine at Idle?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts