Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up a Ford Racing intake from craigslist. the guy said it came off a gt500. I put it on but it seems as if I've lost a bit of power. i'm guessing I need to get a tune in order for it to work properly with my basically stock 07 GT. I have two questions:

first, is this the way to go as far as getting a tuner:
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
If not, suggestions please!

second, should i swap the stock air box back on till i get the tuner? or is it alright to leave it on there and just go easy on it for the next few days?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Your running the intake from a gt500? Never heard of that before. Yes that's a good tuner, you may feel like you lost power if the maf is larger then the stock tune is calibrated for.

·
Registered
77 Posts
GT500 have a positive displacement blower sitting on top so it won't work on your car. Either the guy lied any it didn't come off a GT500 or you bought something you can't use...I just started thinking that maybe you are talking about the cold air intake and not the actual manifold. I though the throttlebody was at a different location on the GT500 than like in the front in a stock GT.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
I'm confused. A GT500 intake will not work on your car, at all... And even if you did get a FRPP intake for a GT, you'd need a tune to run better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I guess i should have figured that the gt500 would have a diff CAI being a supercharged car... Here's a pic of what I got:

who knows what it's for, but it fits the car perfectly so it's for a mustang at least...
the CEL came on after about 2 miles and I checked the codes at autozone. 0171 and 0174 "too lean banks 1 and 2"

So I'm just gonna park it and call AM on monday about see what they can do for me as far as a tune to work with the intake.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yup, thats the right one for GT. nothing gt500 about it

and yes you need a tune to run right. very often intakes and tuners are sold in packages becouse of this.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
maybe you misheard the guy. he probably said the CAI came off a shelby, which is true, just not a shelby GT500.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
YUP! That's for a GT. You need a tune. Your car will run like poo without one. Recommend an SCT...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thats a Shelby GT intake. Close, but not quite

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It's running lean, take it off until you can get a tune for it. I recommend a custom tuned SCT Xcal3 from VMP Tuning.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Tuner + CAI is cheap hp and you will be ready for future mods.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
hope you didn't give much for it. it's definitely better than the stock intake, but not nearly at the top of cai's.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
the jlt and c&l are equal in power gains. c&l looks better while the jlt is cheaper. if you aren't going to stay n/a then go with one of them. however if you have heads, cams, LT's or plan on getting them anytime soon then i'd go with the 110mm jlt. i'd also go with the 110jlt if i were going with a saleen sc'er that uses the stock location for the tb

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I paid $100 for the CAI and a ford racing strut tower brace, both in excellent condition. I figured it wasn't the best option out there, but for essentially $50 I couldn't pass it up. I already took it off and put the stock box back on. I'll get a tune this week for it hopefully and go from there. thanks for the input guys!

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
That's a real good deal actually. Well, hope everything works out for ya! Worst case scenario, get a package deal from AM Tune+CAI and sell that one you got on S197 or corral...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts