Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. I've been reading this forum for about a month now and finally decided to introduce myself. I have a black on black 2000 GT convertible. I have a few cosmetic mods and gears including a drop, rims, and blacked out headlights.

Since I got the car two months ago I've noticed that it vibrates around 75mph. I've had all tires balanced. Any suggestions? Thanks and I'm glad to be a member of the forum.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
What vibrates? Like the whole car shakes? Or the steering wheel? How wide of rims, and what brand of tires?

It could be the suspension related.. i honestly have no idea just asking questions so when someone knowledgeable gets on they can help ya out!

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
check the drive shaft bolts for tightness...... if that doesn't correct the problem try clocking it. If that doesn't work let us know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's clocking? I'm also thinking it may have something to do with the car being lowered and no bump steer kit or x-2 ball joints, but I don't want to spend the money until I'm sure.

To answer the question, the whole car shakes. I have 18's on 255 Eagle F1's all weather on the back and 255 pirelli p-zero's. It's not violent, but really noticeable. I'm don't want it like this when I take it to the track in April.

·
Registered
468 Posts
the steering wheel on my beater truck shook violently when my wheel bearings were bad...usually you hear them when they're bad but the were silent

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
What's clocking? I'm also thinking it may have something to do with the car being lowered and no bump steer kit or x-2 ball joints, but I don't want to spend the money until I'm sure.

To answer the question, the whole car shakes. I have 18's on 255 Eagle F1's all weather on the back and 255 pirelli p-zero's. It's not violent, but really noticeable. I'm don't want it like this when I take it to the track in April.
When you disconnect the drive shaft you spin the drive shaft 90 degrees compared to the ring and pinion. Repeat if necessary. This will change the overall balance and may take care of the vibration your having.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just reading on another forum that an aluminum drive shaft is necessary with gears to get rid of any vibration. I'll try clocking this one and if that doesn't work balance it and lastly upgrade. Thanks.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
I was just reading on another forum that an aluminum drive shaft is necessary with gears to get rid of any vibration. I'll try clocking this one and if that doesn't work balance it and lastly upgrade. Thanks.
i've had gears for over a year on the stock driveshaft without any problems at all. of course, an aluminum DS won't hurt to have, but i don't think it's necessary. i'd follow CMY4D's advice, he's pretty knowledgeable...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts