Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I have a quick question about my new car. I just bought a 89 lx hatchback with a 2.3 and overall I'm very happy with it. It has some rust but everything else is in really good shape. The interior is in really nice shape, its been well maintained, and it has 75,000 miles of "grandpa" miles. The only thing I'm worried about is the transmission. It goes into reverse fine, but when i put it into drive it engages really hard. As far as I know its the stock trans, and it shifts fine driving down the road. I checked the u-joints and they look fine and I'm sure it doesn't have a shift kit. Is this something I should worry about? Thanks.

I'll post a picture of my car after I get over the post limit.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
These cars tend to have a rather stiff shift. A hard shift into gear is better than a soft one. If they get soft it will most likely need rebuilt. Unless by hard you mean it takes a while, then it could be like mine was and need a new trans fluid filter.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
And welcome to MM!!!! Nice clean car.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
If it's not slipping between gear changes, then it is probably ok and just leave it alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I've been driving it everyday this week and it seems to be fine. It goes into third hard too but nothing to severe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 92 does the same thing. Think its normal for these cars. like they said above, i wouldnt worry ab it until it starts slipping

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Would do a Fluid, Filter change and do a band adjustment.
Fluid and filter isnt a bad idea, but the band adjustment is totally unnecessary unless it slips while shifting into, or driving in 2nd gear. That is the only time the band gets used.

·
Registered
660 Posts
there are 2 bands to adjust, the intermediate band (2nd gear) and the overdrive band (4th gear). if you have any shifting issues from 1-2 or 2-3 and 3-4 then band adjustment of both bands is not a bad idea.

oem method of band adjustment is tightening the band screw to 10 ft lbs, then backing off 2 full turns.

another way to do it is put the trans in N and with the wheels off the ground and the brake not set, tighten the band screw until you can no longer freely turn the driveshaft by hand, then back it off 3/4 turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts