Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Been reading this forum for over a year as a general resource, it's been very helpfull. I have a 1998 GT 5spd, with exhaust and a K&N. I joined because I'm needing heads and figured I'd just do the PI conversion. I found a couple posts in the classifieds but cannot respond until I have 10 posts. So, one down, 9 to go. The next 9 or so may be really stupid, but it's the only way to get to ten. I apologize in advance. Any input as to the swap is more than welcome.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i recommend a port and polish and possibly cams if your going to do the swap. its a good time to do them while there not on your car yet. check around sometimes you can find a set of p&p pi heads for cheap.
check mustang forums there was a guy selling a set for 550$ stage 2 set up.
im doing the swap at the moment and did a full rebuild on the pi heads i picked up.
good luck!

54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sale on this forum? It seems most people feel the P&P on these heads isn't worth the expense and that the best increase would come from upgrading the cams, that's just from what I've read. I'm not looking to get too carried away, but since I need heads anyway I'll definately go PI as it won't really cost more than just fixing what I've got. Money is tight right now, so budget on this project is a huge issue.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
856 Posts
go ahead and do the PI swap and if you're worried about the bottom end but don't want to spend too much money, search a junkyard for a 96-04 rotating assembly or shortblock and be pretty much a whole new engine.

96-98 shortblock with the PI heads will raise compression but that's not a huge issue unlike people make it out to be

99-04 shortblock will give you the New Edge's C/R.

all up to you and your budget

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Im just saying, if you have 165,000 miles i would do the bottom end when the heads are off but its up to you.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i got 123XXX on the clock and it's still got plenty of life. our engines are good up to and past 200K if taken care of but you never know what will happen.

my friend in his VW G60 Corrado blew two pistons and he had 110K i think. anything can happen but with proper care that can be prevented or postponed

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
IMO if your not looking to get to carried away..........port and polish your NON pi heads....get a pi intake and street cams....and 4.10's....you will be pretty happy....

·
Registered
187 Posts
IMO if your not looking to get to carried away..........port and polish your NON pi heads....get a pi intake and street cams....and 4.10's....you will be pretty happy....
+1. if your not looking to go to deep thats a great way.

if you want even easier. buy a blower set up like the mongoose. comes with everything you need to do it yourself,even down to the spark plugs. there fairly priced too.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
yea...dont do anything but get that mongoose kit...comes with everything and more...its highly recomended on this forums....

54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input guys! Forced induction of any type will happen long after I get the head problem fixed. I think it costs less to buy complete used PI heads, and an intake than it would to P&P the old ones, and would net similar results. Glad to hear others have experienced good luck with high mileage!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
It would cost less to get the PI stuff but with the right combination P&P NPI heads and cams would make more power.......

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Ya, you gotta remember that the PI heads, cams, and intake are just stock off of the 99-04's. You gotta make sure you get the right combination though for the npi's. The way to go i would say would be P&P PI heads and comp cams but i that may be more money than you are looking to spend.

54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right. Stock PI heads, intake, cams on my NPI engine should net 50+/- HP (flywheel) from everything I've read, maybe a little more. So, for little more than the cost of just fixing what I've got, I can have a big bump in power. Then, when I get those stupid 2.73 (or is it 2.72??) gears out and swap them with some 3.55, or 3.73s It'll be like a different car, for cheap.

Which will be great until I realize how much slower I am compared to guys that started w/PI cars and built up from there............this happens with every car....................

1 - 20 of 34 Posts