Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cars been in the shop for 2 weeks now just getting everything looked over get a break in tune for it. Well I got a call from my tuner Thursday and they got the car running but it was idling really rough really bad and didn't sound good. So he figured it could be a. Couple things, it could be the wrong cam phasers, or not installed right, or the cam wasn't degreed right so there gunna pull the valve covers off and take a look. I'm not sure what it could be, a local machine shop put the motor together so I'm gunna go talk to them and see what they say.

Any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Obvious thing to check for first is a vacuum leak I think. On the cams, they just need to be lined up per the Ford service manual with all the timing chain marks lining up correctly. If you have phaser limiters or lockouts and the tune doesn't account for them that could be a problem, too.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Could be a bizillion things. You just gotta start eliminating. Start with the simple and obvious. Spark and fuel first. Pull plugs, check COPs, double check wiring between PCM and COPs. Test injectors. Wiring to injectors for PCM. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Just have to start from square 1. Iean it could be serving simple like a vacuum leak or something simple. I would think the shop you have it at would have ruled out the simple stuff already though. It's tough with a new motor. Could really be anything.
i hope you get it sorted quickly and easily. I know the feeling. A lot of time and effort and now this. I once spent a summer putting together a 396 BB and on first start up, no oil pressure. Wasted the motor and had to start all over again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Il talk to my tuner Monday. Il ask if hes checked any of those things cuz u guys are right it could be something simple. I'm running the comp 127550 blower cams with limiters,new valve train, heads , pretty much everything new minus the timing chain cuz it had low miles. I just hope they can figure it out

·
Registered
481 Posts
Let us know what you find out. If everything seems ok and it still runs like crap then they'll probably have to pull the front cover off and make sure the cams are lined up correctly. I have the 20* phaser limiters and in the tune I limited the cam angle to 18* so it wouldn't bounce against the limiter.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
did it throw any codes?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let us know what you find out. If everything seems ok and it still runs like crap then they'll probably have to pull the front cover off and make sure the cams are lined up correctly. I have the 20* phaser limiters and in the tune I limited the cam angle to 18* so it wouldn't bounce against the limiter.
That's probably what there gunna end up doing if they can't figure it out. I'm gunna talk to the guys that put the motor together on Monday, hopful I can get something out of them. Il let u no what I find out.

QUOTE=06greyGT;4966006]did it throw any codes?[/QUOTE]

Im not sure he didn't tell me if it did. But he did check all the sensors and everything and saidit was good to go

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Intake gasket leak gets my vote.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got a call from the shop today. He said one of the cams was not lined up it was 180 degrees off. And the whole left bank was not firing. So they took care of it and its running fine know. All they needed to do now is put it back on the dyno for sum tuning. So I'm hoping u get it back in the next 1-2 days.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea can't wait

1 - 11 of 11 Posts