Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i went from stock CR to 8:5:1 which is obviously much lower. I bought the same 42lb injectors, they are a different brand but some flow matched injectors. The car is does not accelerate smoothly at all. Kind of jerky, missy, and hesitate.

I figured out the shutting off issue. It was the alternator and a ground strap.

I did the dash diagnostic mode and had three. 2 for my speedo not being hooked up and 1 for traction control module. My TC light is burnt out and has been for a long time.

I hooked the speedo back up so thats solved.

I have oil in my discharge tube to so im sure my vortech needs a rebuild? I have a loud squeal going on that you can only hear when you rev it. Is it possible to put the vortech idler pulley on backwards? Not the vortech pulley it self on the back of the head unit but the one that goes by the alternator.

I need to figure out when the car is jerky and missing. Is it just because i need a tune?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
this motor is brand new right? yes you will need a new tune to run an extra 10# of boost :) i would double and tripple check your work. often times its the little things you missed that cause issues. the whole oile in the blower part could be a bad seal in the blower. do you still have your crank vents going in the intake? if so your motor is going to have a little more blow by till the rings seat. also on cold starts you will get blow by since the piston to wall gap is farther out, along with the looser ring gap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
had a squeal in my car when i reved it. replacing the belt and cleaning the pullies with scotch pad solved that problem for me apparently the belt was slipping on pulleys.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this motor is brand new right? yes you will need a new tune to run an extra 10# of boost :) i would double and tripple check your work. often times its the little things you missed that cause issues. the whole oile in the blower part could be a bad seal in the blower. do you still have your crank vents going in the intake? if so your motor is going to have a little more blow by till the rings seat. also on cold starts you will get blow by since the piston to wall gap is farther out, along with the looser ring gap.
oil was getting in the dicharge tube before i rebuilt the motor. I was running 10lbs before and am running 10lbs now. Its idling fine and drives ok but i dont feel comfortable going wot because its really missy and not smooth at all.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had a squeal in my car when i reved it. replacing the belt and cleaning the pullies with scotch pad solved that problem for me apparently the belt was slipping on pulleys.
the reason why im not doing this is it didnt squeal before i pulled the motor. So then i build the shortblock and put it together 3 weeks later and it squeals.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
miss fires can be any thing from coils, crank shaft postion senser, maf, and tune. alot of stuff came out of your car and you could have damages something.

squeels need to be more specific. it could be idlers, belt, or even clutch.

i would take a real close look top and bottom to make sure you did not miss anything

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds liked the vortech is squeling. Its hard to pin point. The car idles great but drives like ****. I mean it spits and sputters and jerks and misses. Somebody that doesnt know a dipstick from a oil filter would be like wtf. Plugs looked fine. Coils were fine 2 weeks ago on the old motor so why would they be bad now?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
ok start with easy and work to harder, if your sc is leaking oil some may have gotten on the maf messing with that. if not that then pull your crank shaft position senser and make sure there is nothing stuck to the end. it is a magnet so it picks stuff up real easy. you said you swaped your injecters out for the same but who makes them and who made the old ones.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old ones were not even for my mustang. They were like late model green lightening 42lb injecotors. They were not right so someone got a crossover harness so they could use them. I just put new ones and directly pluged them in and threw away the crossover harness. Your very right on the maf. Hell i put a bunch of towels over the maf and power washed the engine bay so it could of gotten wet or got oil on it.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
ok what kind of injecters did you put in. the green lightning injecters are made by ford and they are the proper ones they just have ev1 connecters. if you went with the newer ford racing injecters with the ev6 connecters they are accualy 47# injecters and would require a new tune. they would look like this

or you went with the cobra 39# injecters which are blue and would also require a tune.

since your looking to up your power levels you should have gone with 60 or 80# injecters. if you still have your old injecters i would try them out to see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
also you said you sprayed down your motor, bad jew jew man, i thought we went over this in the past. not sure how you sprayed it but it could have gotten in places it should not have. water/oil on the maf deff messes things up. my old car had a power pipe and when it rained my maf would get wet and run like crap, breaking up everywhere and it would take about a day for it to dry up. also depending on how new your air filter is the oil of that can sling on the maf, that tied in with oil draining out of your sc may be getting on the maf. another thing a lot of people over look is on the fuel rail bolt there is a small ground that hooks to the post. also look close for a vac leak. i simplified things by getting rid of my egr system and pcv system.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok so heres what happen with the injectors. I will look at the new ones in a few. My buddy and 30 year ford engineer who builds modular motors told me i had the wrong injectors and it had ev1 connectors or whatever and every single connector was dry rotted and broken etc.

I told him i had 42lbs. He pulled some injectors out that looked liked the ones in your picture and told me they were 42lb flow matched injectors and told me i could have em for free. So we traded.

·
Registered
697 Posts
More than likely you'll need to tune fore the new injectors. Can you trade the guy back? What MAF are you running?
Also, did you start the engine while it was wet after washing it down? If you did, it could have caused a coil pack or two to go bad. This happened to me. Any misfire codes?

·
Registered
669 Posts
You need a tune because your compression has dropped and your tune is for the normal compression. Im assuming the old tune was a dyno tune correct? You need to have a retune done and you will be fine. The a/f is now way off because of the compression.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More than likely you'll need to tune fore the new injectors. Can you trade the guy back? What MAF are you running?
Also, did you start the engine while it was wet after washing it down? If you did, it could have caused a coil pack or two to go bad. This happened to me. Any misfire codes?
I didnt start it for 3 weeks after i washed it. Plus i pluged the intake tube (my maf is in fender) with rags. No idea on the maf im running.

I washed the engine bay without an engine in it. I washed it weeks ago to get oil off k member and power steering rack. I also lightly sprayed other things like the master cylinder.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need a tune because your compression has dropped and your tune is for the normal compression. Im assuming the old tune was a dyno tune correct? You need to have a retune done and you will be fine. The a/f is now way off because of the compression.
This is what i was thinking but some people are saying naw. :confused:

The old tune is more than 2 years old!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I don't know about the miss fire and the tune. I drove my car around with my original dyno tune to break it in. Now it did not run great but it did not miss fire. Clean your mad and call your tuner and see what kind of a deal he can give

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you guys know if the vortech pulley can go on backwards? Not the one on the back of the unit that makes boost # but the one under it. Its like a idler pulley but it says vortech on it. It has a 6" stud that goes there the blower then the pulley and then through the alternator into the motor.

My vortech is squeaking when you rev it. It did not sqeuk 2 days ago when i took the blower off. So im thinking maybe i put the pulley on backwards?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know about the miss fire and the tune. I drove my car around with my original dyno tune to break it in. Now it did not run great but it did not miss fire. Clean your mad and call your tuner and see what kind of a deal he can give
I have weeks before i can afford a tune :( I only have enough money right now to barely pay all my bills and survive. If i spend 350 on a dyno tune then surely i wont have a phone this month or something lol.

Im not really sure if its a misfire. The car is just jerky while accelerating and its not smooth at all.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts