Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting a new Ford Racing crate motor in my 93 SVT Cobra and the check engine light has been on since I started it the first time. I'm wondering if the EEC-IV/PCM isn't recognizing the new motor. The motor is a 306ci with aluminum heads and the E-303 cam. Besides the check engine light being on, it's just not running right. I used the stock 24lb EFI and stock ignition system with the exception of a Summit racing billet distributor that should be a direct replacement. Also has a dealer installed Kenne Bell that was on the old motor. I should also mention that the old motor was running fine when I pulled it. Just tired with 128k on it. Does anybody know how to check this car for codes or if it's even possible. I've heard mixed stories about being able to pull codes from the 93 cars. Some say you can't do it others say you can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
This thing has a supercharger and 24 pound injectors? Am I correct in reading that?

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Is this an original cobra. I only ask this to see if you have the cobra computer thats programed for the 24 lb injectors

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is an original Cobra #246. Yes it has the stock 24 lb injectors with the supercharger running 5-6 lbs boost. dbshea, thanks for the link.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Go to az or advance, they sell obd1 scan tools. Probably an egr code or O2 sensor. Could be another sensor has failed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The ground for the o2 sensors are hooked up, along with the number 8 injector plug? Definitely need to see if you can get some codes out of it first.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Just get yourself an Equus 3145 code scanner and Equus 3149 code reader cable extension from Jegs or off ebay. The reader comes with everything you need and its easy to use. It is digital so it shows the code, no needle sweeps or flashing lights to figure out.

Some stores only carry OBD2 scanners. Its like pulling teeth around here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, if I'm reading the test right from the provivded link using a 12v test probe I'm getting code #63 which according to my book is," TP (throttle position) circuit below minimum voltage". Anyone know that one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After getting the code #63 for low voltage to the TPS and testing revealed very low voltage I replaced the TPS, set it to .96-7, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes, hooked the battery back up and everything is as it should be. Car runs fine and no check engine light. $42 fix. Thanks guys, couldn't have done it without you.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
No problem, but keep an eye on it, cuz some time problems temporarily go away when you reset the system. So if its still running good after 30-50 miles, im sure you fixed the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts