Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Mustang ever owned after making the transition from the "Honda Tuners". I recently purchased a 92' Mustang GT 5.0. The following mods were already installed in the car but the car has been accelerating kind of slow and I feel like its missing some power. I know the car has had a full tune up including plugs, rotor, cap, wires etc. I just recently changed the oil and the coolant has been flushed and new tranny fluid, water pump, belt, and alternator. I got to looking around and pulled the filter off the CAI and it was completely filthy. Full of dead bugs and dirt and looked like it hadnt been change in 50k miles or so. I cleaned it with my K&N recharge kit as best as I could but could only get it about 50% clean. I noticed right off the bat it ran a little smoother and had some better pickup.

I plan on just purchasing a new BBK filter to put on it and I assume the fuel filter has never been changed either so I plan on doing that this weekend. The car idles perfect its just on pickup its lacking. I also plan on getting the car dyno tuned in the next month or so and I am wondering if the stock 19lb injectors will be sufficient enough to support my mods. Also what do you think the car will put down on the dyno? I am guessing it has around 300HP to the crank so maybe 270ish to the wheels?

-BBK CAI
-BBK 70MM TB
-Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake Manifold
-Edelbrock Aluminum Heads
-Ford Racing E-303 Cam
-MSD Ignition
-Ford Racing Wires
-BBK Long Tube Headers
-O/R H-Pipe-Flowmasters

Gears are unknown. I was told it has 3.73's but the guy who had it before me didnt know for sure. Anyway for me to find out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Congrats on the pick up man! As far as figuring out if it has 3.73s, put a piece of tape on the rear tire while the rear end is off the ground, spin the rear tire once while counting how many times the driveshaft turns. 3.73s will turn the driveshaft 3 and about 3/4s turns.

As far as current power, its probably putting down closer to 220-250 at the rear wheels since there isnt much done to it. Oh and stay away from BBK products, theyre known to be crap quality.

And welcome to ModdedMustangs!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the help guys! What are your thoughts on the stock 19lb injectors? I was told I just upgrade to at least 24's if not 30's and then get it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The 19 pounders are good up to about 300rwhp. If you plan on making more than that then yes buy a larger set. But in that case you might as well make a plan of what youre going to do with your car so you dont needlessly spend money.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I would say your close to 250-260 at the rear having the aluminum heads. 24 lb injectors wouldn't hurt but you will have to recalibrate your MAF or get a new one. As far as BBK parts I haven't really had an issue with them, BBK has been in the 5.0 Mustang game for a long time. Is there better stuff out there, Yes, but there's nothing wrong with BBK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anybody here had their foxbody dyno tuned? Is it just a chip they put into the computer?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I am driving the car and punch it a little to accelerate fast I feel it start to pick up then it just kind of flattens out and does not accelerate like its supposed to. I got home and looked around and here is the P/N on the MAF. Ford F1ZF-12B579-AA AFH55-03B. Anybody know what size this is or if it is the right one?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Ive never owned a fox but yes you can use what youre talking about but I think thats youre only choice since it doesnt have obd2. As far as the maf goes, why do u need the part number? Dont just start throwing parts at the car and hope something fixes the problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That P/N is the MAF that is currently on it. After research that is the stock MAF for a 92' 5.0 I believe. With all of the mods that I have is the stock MAF sufficient?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told the MAF housing should be the same size as the TB or bigger. In my case I have a 70mm TB and I will check the housing on my MAF tomorrow but I believe it is the stock 55mm size. So if it is the 55mm size would that probably be my problem right there?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a BBK 65 mm t body and a BBK 76 mm MAF.
Are you still using the stock MAF sensor? What lb injectors are you running?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you know if the stock MAF can be calibrated by a tuner when you go to get it dyno tuned?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

If my car still has the stock 55mm MAF Housing then I am going to order a BBK 76mm housing.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

So I got a better look at my fuel injectors and noticed they are a pinkish color. They are P/N # 0-280-150-561. After doing some research I believe they are the Bosch injectors rated for 22lb/h at 43.5 psi, which when operated at 40psi becomes a 21.09 lb/h injector sqrt(40/43.5) * 22. They look exactly like these

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/4...ors-these.html

So if the car is running these 21/22lb injectors and it still has the factory MAF sensor for 19lb injectors is this my main problem right here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah mine aren't orange, they are like a dark pinkish color. I looked them up and it looks like they are the injectors that come stock on 00-04 Mustang GT's.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts