Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just bought my first car which is a 2002 Red Ford Mustang v6 today and have many questions about the car. It just hit 80k miles but Is better then most new cars in shape. It has aftermarked rims, tires and a remote start.

1. What exterior upgrades should i get first ( looking to spend ~$200)
I was thinking a new 8inch antena, black stripes and a new grill.

2. What exterior mods should i get first ( looking to spend ~$150)
Im thinking a polished interrior kit i saw at the americanmuscle site

3. I have looked under the hood and forgot what the hoodscope looks like from the bottom of the hood. My questions is I beilive it is just for show and there no cut feeding air to cool off the top of the engin, is it worth while to make the hoodscope work by drilling it out?

And any other comments or sugguestions would be great, thxs ALso any websites to get parts at would be great, thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
The Mach 1 grill and chin spoiler are probably the best visual mods around.

As for stripes it is rare to see a 99-04 that looks good with stripes. I just don't like them in general on new edgers.

Another option if you want functionality is HID lights. They look good and are great for night time.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool thxs, keep the sugguestions comming =] My cars also like a racing red , thats why I wanna get white or black stripes , ive been looking around at them and they look good imo

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Don't worry about your interior just yet. I personally think the polished bullit kit looks like a big waste of money.

The hood scoop on the V6 is purely for show. If you have the stock air intake setup it's not worth drilling it. The stock setup uses a snorkel to draw air from under the car. If you have a short ram intake, then it might be worth it.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, i was thinking alot of making it work, just drilling out the hood to connect . it'll get a little more airflow even though I dont really need it, just making the hoodscoop work is good for me till i get a ram air(which will be awhile)

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
cool, i was thinking alot of making it work, just drilling out the hood to connect . it'll get a little more airflow even though I dont really need it, just making the hoodscoop work is good for me till i get a ram air(which will be awhile)
I opened mine. It was not connected to the intake though. It was to extract the excessive heat problem I was having...and to instal LED's because Im a nerd like that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The stripes are not really that rare because the 40th anniversary package and 40th anniversary edition came with stripes on the car... I think they look good, so you should do them...

Like everyone else said the chin spoiler looks really good, I also did stainless steel bumper letter inserts in the rear bumper, a chrome gas door, and chrome upper and lower grille and I am happy with all of those

As for the interior I think that package is great because I almost have every interior billet piece from that site, however you might just want to check ebay because I found that they have the same billet pieces for a much cheaper price and they are brand new

Good luck and welcome to MM!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Def do the Mach 1 chin spoiler and the Mach 1 grill delete (changes the entire look of the front). Put some gt fogs in if u want (that can get kinda expensive pretty quick tho $300-$400). TINT THE WINDOWS if they arent already. If u want it to stand out put on a rear louver (not everyones cup of tea and it depends on the car package (looks better with gt package), I got one and it is a simple way to set the car apart when in a crowd) but with that ur lookin $300 - $500 depending on where u get it from and if its plastic or aluminum. Shorty antenna is a good cheap mod, so is bumper letter inserts if u don't got them.

For the Interior if its a stick a must is a short throw shifter (MGW makes a quality one). If its an auto and u r planning on modding the engine for some power a hammer shifter is an option u might wanna look at in the future. The rest is just personal preference on the interior and exterior, ur the one driven the car so do what makes it work for u.

covers a little more then what u asked but thats :2cents

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
Hi, I just bought my first car which is a 2002 Red Ford Mustang v6 today and have many questions about the car. It just hit 80k miles but Is better then most new cars in shape. It has aftermarked rims, tires and a remote start.

1. What exterior upgrades should i get first ( looking to spend ~$200)
I was thinking a new 8inch antena, black stripes and a new grill.

2. What exterior mods should i get first ( looking to spend ~$150)
Im thinking a polished interrior kit i saw at the americanmuscle site

3. I have looked under the hood and forgot what the hoodscope looks like from the bottom of the hood. My questions is I beilive it is just for show and there no cut feeding air to cool off the top of the engin, is it worth while to make the hoodscope work by drilling it out?

And any other comments or sugguestions would be great, thxs ALso any websites to get parts at would be great, thanks
the shorty antenna can be created with your own antenna for free if you have some tools.

interior = waste of money IMO.

drilling out the hood = waste of time

Don't worry about your interior just yet. I personally think the polished bullit kit looks like a big waste of money.

The hood scoop on the V6 is purely for show. If you have the stock air intake setup it's not worth drilling it. The stock setup uses a snorkel to draw air from under the car. If you have a short ram intake, then it might be worth it.
+1 on it being just for show. ram air intake isnt going to be worth it IMO either. just get a CAI and be done with that.

The stripes are not really that rare because the 40th anniversary package and 40th anniversary edition came with stripes on the car... I think they look good, so you should do them...

Like everyone else said the chin spoiler looks really good, I also did stainless steel bumper letter inserts in the rear bumper, a chrome gas door, and chrome upper and lower grille and I am happy with all of those

As for the interior I think that package is great because I almost have every interior billet piece from that site, however you might just want to check ebay because I found that they have the same billet pieces for a much cheaper price and they are brand new

not all the 40th anniversary editions have the stripes.

Get 4.10 gears and tlok.
best one i've seen so far :yes
its not visual but you will get more enjoyment out of it.

Def do the Mach 1 chin spoiler and the Mach 1 grill delete (changes the entire look of the front). Put some gt fogs in if u want (that can get kinda expensive pretty quick tho $300-$400). TINT THE WINDOWS if they arent already. If u want it to stand out put on a rear louver (not everyones cup of tea and it depends on the car package (looks better with gt package), I got one and it is a simple way to set the car apart when in a crowd) but with that ur lookin $300 - $500 depending on where u get it from and if its plastic or aluminum. Shorty antenna is a good cheap mod, so is bumper letter inserts if u don't got them.

For the Interior if its a stick a must is a short throw shifter (MGW makes a quality one). If its an auto and u r planning on modding the engine for some power a hammer shifter is an option u might wanna look at in the future. The rest is just personal preference on the interior and exterior, ur the one driven the car so do what makes it work for u.

covers a little more then what u asked but thats :2cents
fogs arent expensive at all to get. and its pretty easy to install them yourself too. i did mine for well under 100. windows being tinted will definitely make the car look 100% better. i also agree that doing bumper inserts would be good. if you just do the vinyl ones, you can get them really cheap now, and they are really easy to put on.

ok now my input. if you want to spend that money wisely, sit down and think about the finalized product of the car. look through everything that you can do and really think about what you really want the car to look like. now with that being said, i would do the tinted windows ($100-150), chop your antenna down (free), grab a cai or other starter mods (check out the sticky for mods), and do some rear bumper inserts (vinyl will be around $12-15 and stainless steel will be around $100). the chin spoiler has never really been my thing and only look right on certain vehicles IMO. i do like the mach grille delete, but i also like the roush type grille addon too. anyway, visual is gonna be up to you because its your car and it doesnt matter what we think about the looks, its what you feel like looking at everyday driving it.

welcome to mm

·
Registered
632 Posts

ive never seen any 40th anniversary, or any new edges, with stripes that actually came with it from the factory... i guess you learn something new every day! if you are going to get the stripes save up for paint. yes the vinyl is cheeper but the paint will last longer and look better. and +1 on the grill delete, chin spoiler, and AM.com.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get 4.10 gears and tlok.
I thought I read somewhere not to do that unless you know what you're doing. Is it a simple mod?

·
Registered
356 Posts
ive never seen any 40th anniversary, or any new edges, with stripes that actually came with it from the factory... i guess you learn something new every day! if you are going to get the stripes save up for paint. yes the vinyl is cheeper but the paint will last longer and look better. and +1 on the grill delete, chin spoiler, and AM.com.
yea there were only about 2500 to 3000 (not sure of the exact number) of the 40 anniversary edition made, which were made with the stripes... All 2004's ave the badge on the fender, but there are a few thousand which are true 40th anniversary editions...
there was also a factory option to have painted mirrors and stripes put on which was called the 40th anniversary package

1 - 20 of 39 Posts