Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
☼ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a stroker, tfs, camed, eddy intaked, N/A build and **** broke while tryin to get her tuned!

Apparently I didn't torque a cam bolt on right and that made a lot of noise(the gear basically came loose and spun at an angle other than 90 degrees on the cam and sheered off on the cam spacer) and somehow only one rocker arm got off its lash adjuster and probably bent a valve.

Rocker arm got broke:

The motor ran for a while before the 'catastrophic failure' though and the exhaust did sound badass! So if there was no piston damage, this **** can be fixed fairly cheap.

I guess I'm just bitchin about my build. Feel free to slander my skills....

P.S: If a new motor sounds bad, it's probably ****ed somewhere!

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Sorry to hear man... I'm surprised my engine started with no leaks or issues and continues to run today. 'twas my first mod motor i've ever built :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Sorry to hear man... I'm surprised my engine started with no leaks or issues and continues to run today. 'twas my first mod motor i've ever built :shiftyeyes
I remember my first engine build, threw it together in 2 days from random parts in my friends garage, it last for awhile till i sold the car and my buddy boosted it to 12 lbs, it held, till it spun a bearing due to a oil leak.

<3 SR20's

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
whats the expected hp numbers? and what kinda cams did you install and stuff like that lol. I am trying to decide to get a build a KB motor or build one NA

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping to make at least 370hp...should have more torque though.
its a 5.0 stroker bored .020 over, CMS stage 3 cams(they sound amazing),TFS 44cc heads, full exhaust, edelbrock intake.
I got about 8 grand in the motor. For a KB motor, u could start with a forged shortblock and stock heads for that money...
I'm gonna use nitrous after I get bored of the added power and everything else is buttoned up on the car.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yeah, I am aiming for 550-600 hp when it's all said and done. But I know that will change when I get there and it is a long as road to get it, but I was thinking a full on NA build plus nitrous, or a full on kb build. Money or time isn't really a problem lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
That sucks to hear man. If u bent the valve be sure to replace the guide or atleast have it looked at

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Darn! I didnt really want to take it to a machine shop...but i guess i have to. btw, im sure it bent while the engine was at a lil over idle. N it's just that one valve. Could have just been a bad lifter. I'll try to take the valve out myself n then take it to the shop for a checkup. Local shops around here charge way too much for lil stuff.

9er...If money n time isn't an issue, then definitely a fully built motor, TFS R heads with 2.6L KB, a big ass fuel system n meth!! That would be my ultimate combo...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
would that put me around 550-600 hp?

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah...those 2.6l KBs go up to 25psi. With a fully built motor n cams, 600 wont be any trouble even on medium boost

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
If you have big goals plan accordingly. Buy a 2.8h and work from there. Twin screws make alot of heat which kills power. The high efficent 2.8h will get u your goals with plenty of head room for growth

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Btw u will have to shave spots off your tfs heads to fit the kb manifold
I didn't know that! is it the tabs on the inside corners of the heads?

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cos I wanna see some1 put one of nelson's engines in a new edge!!! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
It sucks, but no big deal. At least you didn't trash the head.

Only one time did I rush a build and not go back and double check my torques and timing alignment. The lesson I learned that day as an 18 year old is still with me to this day.

·
&#9788;ny
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have certainly learnt my lesson too!
I built the motor over a long period of time. Was trying to cope up with school while building the stang. I also fixed up a 76 chevy 305 motor that broke in the $800 truck i bought to drive around in while i was working on the stang.
I should have set a week to do all the final assembly properly. I might have forgotten to torque the cam gear bolt. *sigh*

I got my last final tomorrow...then full attention to the car! Will post some pics up after I get the head out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts