Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new hood painted and installed and I have a couple of questions about new paint. I was told not to wax or buff for at least 30 days, but I can wash it in 2 days. Now, my wash is the Meguire's wash with wax in it. Will that be ok to use, or should I wait?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Travis could tell you alot better info, but I have not seen him around lately... I will give it a go.

Def do not wax it for atleast 30 days with a paste/carnuba wax. This is to let the paint cure. You can use a detail spray within 15 days to keep it clean if you want that extra protection before the wax.

For the wash... I would wait atleast a week unless the paint gets extreamly dirty or something gets on it. When you do wash it, don't doush it with soap and water... just enough to clean it. Also be very soft... don't scrub it or put much pressure since you are making contact with the clear coat. Do NOT use any kinda of wash that has wax/carnuba in it. Use a simple car wash soap that is just ment to clean, not add to the wax. Do NOT use dish soap.

:pics

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics are coming this weekend. Its been raining all week, but the weather should be nice this weekend.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
No need for 60...

30 days is fine and it can sometimes even vary then. If you are in a climate that has ideal condititions alot (70 degrees F, mild to low humidity) then you could POSSIBLY do 20 days or lower, but it's always safe to wait the full 30.

·
Registered
194 Posts
^----- That is a little different thatn wha tI was told by the painters at my shop and the jobber that just sold me the materials that I put on my car...

was the hood baked in a heated booth ??

DO NOT use any car wash soap with wax in it until after your waiting period...

as far as wetsanding and buffing... we wetsand and buff just hours later... maby a day at the most....

waxing --- the paint shop and my paint jobber bolth told me 90 days till wax.... if it gets sealed too fast it will haze over and turn chalky....

Just my .02 and what I was told... I woudl follow the advice of your painter....

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
almost all painter will tell you to not wax or buff or even use a pressure washer at a car wash for about 30 days,hand wash it after about 5 days and you will be good

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
^----- That is a little different thatn wha tI was told by the painters at my shop and the jobber that just sold me the materials that I put on my car...

was the hood baked in a heated booth ??

DO NOT use any car wash soap with wax in it until after your waiting period...

as far as wetsanding and buffing... we wetsand and buff just hours later... maby a day at the most....

waxing --- the paint shop and my paint jobber bolth told me 90 days till wax.... if it gets sealed too fast it will haze over and turn chalky....

Just my .02 and what I was told... I woudl follow the advice of your painter....
90 days is WAY to long... your doing more harm than good. Your average paint job will cure in about 30 days. If you are in a really cold or really humid climate, do 35-40 for good mesure. After that you will have completely cured unprotected paint. So... if you wait 90 days your exposing your brand new clear coat to the open enviroment for about 2 months (60 days).

Never wait that long...

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Pics are coming this weekend. Its been raining all week, but the weather should be nice this weekend.
The weather has been freaking horrible. Its been raining down here in MS all week as well. Yesterday and today have been the first non-rain and cold days for a good 2+ weeks.

I was finally able to get outside and do some cement work on the car port Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts