Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the 3v engine for my 03 gt. do you all think its a good idea to change the pistons? is so which kind? i really wanna keep it n/a. i am gonna be getting cams, since i have the engine torn apart right now, so i can go have it washed. i also want to port the heads, but later down the road.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
depends really. i mean if you want to do an ALL OUT NO **** N/A, then you want to look at bumping up the compression.

but honestly the stock pistons are pretty good. you'd be doing yourself a bigger favor by upgrading the rods with the pistons though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i dont wanna put a tubro or any other type of crap in it. so the rods and pistons then. whats the comp ratio stock? what are a good set of pistons and rods? thanks for ur reply

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
stock CR is 9.8:1. i can't help you with helping to chose pistons. that's not something i'm very knowledgeable about

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
he already said it, but if staying n/a then you'll want more compression. with the stock 3V short block you can get around 400rwhp. you will need every other mod out there to get to that mark. most people don't usually bother staying n/a because doing so will cost you more and get you less hp than a basic sc'er kit. since you are already in there you should at least (imo) do the rods and pistons. iirc the stock crank is good for around 600rwhp.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
i'd just go with a nice stroker and some higher comp pistons. that with some heads/cams and other bolt-ons would be a pretty hefty N/A motor. i've seen up to 430 or so on some forums.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
check out s197forum.com. there's alot of n/a members there with differing builds. some with stock shortblock, some with strokers, some with stock stroke/high comp, etc.

generally, an aftermarket intake mani (frpp, CL, etc), a nice 62mm TB, and the JLT 110mm CAI, with some sweet ported heads and cams are what most are running.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet, ill check it out. I really just want around 350 hp or so. I dont want anythig to big. I will not get the stroker kit. I dont plan on going more thenn 400 hp. Thanks again for ur responses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts