Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking to go for high compression pistons so if you may answer these questions
how much compression should i get ?

do i have to port my heads ? better or not a problem?

what is the problems may i face? heat, sounds?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
you can go as high as you want. around 11.0 is about the best comprimise for full utilization on pump gas. if you going to build for performance, of course you should have head work done. power is made in the heads.

·
Banned
491 Posts
you can go as high as you want. around 11.0 is about the best comprimise for full utilization on pump gas. if you going to build for performance, of course you should have head work done. power is made in the heads.
thats what she head.. all my power is in my head...:cool:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In any case if he seizes the engine he can upgrade again. :shiftyeyes

What was that quote from that one dudes sig who had the black new edge. Something like we build it in an attempt to break it, we know whats breaking when its breaking so we can build is stronger and run it harder.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
some of the old push rod set ups had cooling issues once you start upping the compression or boring too much. these motors are different, stock cooling is very efficient as well.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I think he just wants to up the CR so he won't be boring at all. I don't know why I'm still talking about this because we have modular motors and we're better off then the push rod technology. Maybe I just like reading my text. I think I'm becoming a narcissist.

Oh yeah this is what I was talking about. Sorta unrelated to anything but I dig it.

"We build it up, run it hard, we know whats breaking and we enjoy it breaking, we dump money into it, we re-build it stronger, run it harder in anticipation of it breaking again. We are sick individuals."

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
that was matts sig for a while i believe.

the modular motors compared to pushrod technology? these modulars arent all that great really. the blocks are, but thats about it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
im thinking to go for high compression pistons so if you may answer these questions
how much compression should i get ?

do i have to port my heads ? better or not a problem?

what is the problems may i face? heat, sounds?

Your gonna want a new full rotating assembly in my opinion. prices range from 1400-2000 pending on brand and whos selling it.

P&P the heads you will gain alot out of them. If your staing N/A which I believe so get Patriot stage 2 heads or the Trick Flow heads. get better numbers

I dont think you will face any heat problems but upgrade the water pump to be safe. Maybe upgrade the radiator? and get a 180 thermo? stock thermo is 192 correct?
Upgrade to dual fans. But the shop you go to will know. I dont think you will run into heating issues though.

Right now I have a savings built up since Im looking at running a 5.4L swap staying N/A. Running stage 2.5 cams and Heads Port and polish.
CR will be around 10.82:1 maybe a little higher.

Best thing to ask is what power range do you want to achieve?

Mine is getting past 350rwhp. The shop that will do the swap said I should surpass that with the 5.4L swap with the bolt ons I also have as well.

Edit:
All in all heating I dont think will be a problem. your water pump should be able to handle it all.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
Your gonna want a new full rotating assembly in my opinion. prices range from 1400-2000 pending on brand and whos selling it.

P&P the heads you will gain alot out of them. If your staing N/A which I believe so get Patriot stage 2 heads or the Trick Flow heads. get better numbers

I dont think you will face any heat problems but upgrade the water pump to be safe. Maybe upgrade the radiator? and get a 180 thermo? stock thermo is 192 correct?
Upgrade to dual fans. But the shop you go to will know. I dont think you will run into heating issues though.

Right now I have a savings built up since Im looking at running a 5.4L swap staying N/A. Running stage 2.5 cams and Heads Port and polish.
CR will be around 10.82:1 maybe a little higher.

Best thing to ask is what power range do you want to achieve?

Mine is getting past 350rwhp. The shop that will do the swap said I should surpass that with the 5.4L swap with the bolt ons I also have as well.
full rotating assembly??? depends on power intentions, n/a will never need a crank. upgrade radiator and fan? the stock radiator cools well and wont need to be replaced. the stock fan moves a lot of air, more than most applications will ever need. and 350+rwhp N/A 2v 5.4,. good luck. it can be done, but it takes the right stuff to get it there.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Really with a 5.4L 2v 350+rwhp that would be hard? I figured a bigger bore would make it easier than 4.6.
Weight wise is it any different? I just realized that the 5.4L will be heavier.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
there is no difference between the 5.4l and the 4.6l except the deck height.. i dunno wht pppl wanna go to 5.4l unless u got the lightning setup.. if u cant get power out of 4.6 then u cant out of a 5.4 neither.. imo. i may be wrong?

·
Registered
374 Posts
you should most deffinately port the heads and shave them shaving them will up the compression with the right cam you could probably get some where near 340 or so hard to say. The 4.6 is really a boost motor though it was designed for it really.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts