Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I sent my 5.4 2v shortblock off to local shop to get rebuilt about 2 weeks ago. It took a while due to the holidays for them to get to it, but it was friends of family so I didn't mind since I had to straighten out other things in the meantime. Turns out the block was bad and had a 2 1/2 inch crack on one of the cylinder walls:facepalm:. I don't want to dump any more money into this plan so I am going to scrap it. Luckily the guys rebuilding it owed my father in law a ridiculous amount of favors and I do not have to pay for any of the labor involved thus far (which was like 2 days, barely) and I am able to walk away from this without being in the hole by much. I wanted to take the road less traveled with my stang, but it looks like im now going to have to look at other options for more power and more torque. So this leads to my question. Which is easier to take on? A SC build or a Turbo build? Including all of the excess fees involved in a rookie FI build, how much should I plan for? I read a lot of threads on the cost of piecing together a kit, but none include the "oh s**t, I screwed this up" cost. Does 5k sound like a good starting point? I am looking for personal experience advice btw.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Supercharger is by far easier. You dont have to mess with exhaust, or kmember at all. Most are an easy bolt on and tune. 5k is way more than enough. You can find a kit say 2k(you can find cheaper if youre patient). And then whatever your tuner charges. That is if you are installing it yourself which i would recommend. Even if you dont have any tools, you could buy tools way cheaper then buying labor at a shop

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
find a 05+ exploder motor. get a used sc kit fuel and a tune. should be around 5K

Whats your plans for the car? Is it your daily driver or can you let it sit while you get everything together.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be sitting for a while. I was going to pull the motor. I have a shop to store and work on it in. Just not sure which route to go with. I have 3.7k in hand right now. I started with 1.8k when I was going to follow my first idea of a P1SC Procharged stang. I will have about 5.2k (if im guessing right) by the end of January all for my build.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plans are to efficiently and safely put down close to 400 rwhp/rwtq down on the dyno. I also want my wife to be able to jump in it and still ride as comfy as she can today (well before it started having issues.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Supercharger all day. A buddy of mine did a turbo build and the exhaust is a NIGHTMARE!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
My plans are to efficiently and safely put down close to 400 rwhp/rwtq down on the dyno. I also want my wife to be able to jump in it and still ride as comfy as she can today (well before it started having issues.
That is precisely why I chose my ProCharger. My wife doesn't hammer down on the throttle. At 2500 rpms its only generating 1.8 psi. So the car handles a lot like stock. When I drive the car sees a lot higher rpm so it at full power. Oh, I believe that 380-400 is safe. I've been running that for 90,000 miles. Don't get greedy and go above that. Some have with very bad results.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is precisely why I chose my ProCharger. My wife doesn't hammer down on the throttle. At 2500 rpms its only generating 1.8 psi. So the car handles a lot like stock. When I drive the car sees a lot higher rpm so it at full power. Oh, I believe that 380-400 is safe. I've been running that for 90,000 miles. Don't get greedy and go above that. Some have with very bad results.
I know about the 2V's bottom end's limit. I like the procharger, just not the wind up waiting for the throw you in the seat feeling. It's just that its so hard to find a used KB set up.

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Supercharger all day. A buddy of mine did a turbo build and the exhaust is a NIGHTMARE!
I love your car btw man, gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
SC is by far the easier route. 5K is plenty to do it. I did everything with mine and it was like 4500.
used paxton novi 2k
paxton intercooler
new discharge tube(for bullitt intake)
get all piping welded together
tial 50mm bov
a few couplers and tbolt clamps
anderson powerpipe
Hpx slot style maf
60# injectors
New spark plugs
SVT focus pump
kb bap
and a tune.
Just be patient and you can find good deals on parts.

·
needs more boost
4,897 Posts
I know about the 2V's bottom end's limit. I like the procharger, just not the wind up waiting for the throw you in the seat feeling. It's just that its so hard to find a used KB set up.
Do centri blowers really take that long to get going? Seems like once you get on it you'd be there pretty quickly. Obviously not like a twin screw but still.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
No, not long at all. All you have to do is downshift. Someone, who has owned both, said the advantage of a twin-screw over a centrifugal supercharger is that he didn't have to down shift to pass cars on the highway. A twin-screw has more low end torque. But in lower gears that pretty much translates to just spinning your wheels more.

Peak torque and horsepower are about the same. Track times are about the same. Below 3500 rpms a twin-screw has a bit of an advantage and above 3500 rpm a centri has a bit of an advantage. Mid-range they are about the same. Why do people prefer one over the other? It is simply personal choice.

Even with a centri you will have no traction in first, some traction in second but you will probably have to downshift to fourth to quickly pass cars. Having previously owned 4-bbl big blocks I found the sensation of a centri to be different. When the four barrel kicks in you get a sudden jolt and then you have a steady acceleration. It basically threw you back in the seat and kept you there. With a centri there is no sudden jolt but your acceleration is constantly increasing. It pushes you back in the seat and then it pushes you harder and harder.

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
Centri supercharger would be easiest like everyone said but if you don't mind a little more work turbo is the way to go imo

·
I Need More Power!!!
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I go turbo, it will def be the ON3 FF kit. On;ything is, it requires the k member to be replaced as well as the fact that I heard about the piping not being up to par for a few members on here. Which dips into the pockets a lil deeper

1 - 15 of 15 Posts