Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently the FR500 steering wheel is in high demand since Ford stopped making them, so it gives me a good excuse to sell mine for a smaller diameter wheel. I've been meaning to get a new steering wheel anyway, so I went ahead and ordered a Momo Quark 350mm wheel and adapter:

Also ordered a Sparco button kit:

The reason for the button kit is for nitrous control. I've never really liked the Zex setup how you have to cross the RPM threshold once in order to skip a gear. Sometimes I'm already in the correct gear and don't want to be locked out of nitrous until the next gear.

I've programmed a progressive nitrous controller that can lockout 1st gear without having to hit the RPM threshold once and also lock out the 1st second after each upshift to give my tires time to gain traction after changing gear. The buttons will go to a 555 monostable circuit which will allow the Zex TPS wire to be connected for 15 seconds at a time. What this means is that in order for the n2o to spray, I'll have to be at WOT, out of 1st gear, in my RPM window range, and not within 1 second of changing gear. So in effect, nitrous won't spray until I've gained traction after shifting into 2nd and 3rd. Once I press the button on the left, the TPS signal wire will be connected for 15 seconds and the solenoids will open. No more nitrous traction issues for me! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
how much was the momo wheel?

its pretty cool looking, but would it actually help with handling in any way?

..no horn, no airbag.. doesnt seem worth it

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Everything together will run close to $500. I've disabled the airbag in my car anyway since I received a concussion from my G35 airbag (but I sit way too close to the steering wheel for my size). The Momo logo in the center is the horn, I'll be fabricating a separate switch panel for the cruise control :yes. All Ford steering wheels to me feel like they belong on boats. Getting a smaller diameter steering wheel doesn't help me go any faster, but it does translate more road feel and increase steering response with smaller adjustments. Drive a Miata around and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about lol :)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Thats awesome man, your really smart with that ****. Reps for you man

·
Registered
94 Posts
Make sure you post pics when the wheel is in. I was looking at getting that exact same wheel and it would be great to see how it looks!

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to figure that one out lol, I'll probably keep a spare steering wheel here just in case. It wasn't any cheaper to build my own setup, but there's no aftermarket nitrous system that actually "knows" what gear the car is in. The Zex controller just senses when the car has rev'd beyond a certain RPM before allowing the window switch to activate. It works at the track, but it's not very clever.

·
Carving corners
3,327 Posts
I'll have to figure that one out lol, I'll probably keep a spare steering wheel here just in case. It wasn't any cheaper to build my own setup, but there's no aftermarket nitrous system that actually "knows" what gear the car is in. The Zex controller just senses when the car has rev'd beyond a certain RPM before allowing the window switch to activate. It works at the track, but it's not very clever.
http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=288

1 - 20 of 26 Posts