Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got another project car, aka, money pit.

goal is a daily driver, COMFY, but decent power.

The motor/trans combo is in great shape, the car itself, is kinda rough, interior is good though.

Now my gear head mind tells me to get it in good shape first, simple tune up, and start fixing the little issues, such as the non-working odometer, or gas gauge.

but i fell that urge again just to start steam rolling bolt ons like I did when I first got the mustang.

The lesson I learned with my mustang, is that I should have started with a turbo in the first place, and been in a better spot in the end.

So im kinda thinking I wanna go that route. but I would have to build a custom/junkyard type turbo build. so its a little off putting.

budget at the moment is low, this is going to be a long term build. but I wanted to get your guys opinions, as the goal is a comfy daily, not a car like the mustang that is rough as hell over bumps, no a/c, won't drive in bad weather, ETC

more details, and pictures to come after I get some of your opinions. vague post is vague.
Rob

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Nice man, congratulations! What year and model? Manual or auto? Im about to pick up another project myself. and was thinking the same thing, it will also be a long term project. Have any mods been done to it? Personal what im going to do it just fix the minor things first to get it to run strong and get it back to the best i can so i can know what i have to work with. Because I was thinking about doing a turbo as well, but figure either way ill have to fix the minor issues first, so better off to just do it now. But just a thought, but you will definitely have to keep us updated!

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice man, congratulations! What year and model? Manual or auto? Im about to pick up another project myself. and was thinking the same thing, it will also be a long term project. Have any mods been done to it? Personal what im going to do it just fix the minor things first to get it to run strong and get it back to the best i can so i can know what i have to work with. Because I was thinking about doing a turbo as well, but figure either way ill have to fix the minor issues first, so better off to just do it now. But just a thought, but you will definitely have to keep us updated!
ill give more details later.

all stock, other then some stupid mods the pervious owner did, like HID lights :gay and a couple other things.

I will say its a V8 and auto trans.

sell you my on3 kit $5699
on3 kit wont fit this vehicle :shiftyeyes

but I appreciate the low price bud. :nuts

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Oh no ,it doesnt sound like a mustang;)

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
honda pilot?
YOU'VE SPOILED IT YOU BASTARD!
:confused:

well sense no one seems to give a Sheisse. feast your eyes on big bertha aka, the death wagon.

1993 Buick Roadmaster wagon.

Shes rough, but I only paid $900.

Chevy 350ci motor. L05 series. head/cam/intake swap away from 380 at the tires, pistons/rods are supposedly good to 500rwhp, not sure on the block strength. trans is a 700r I think its called, its like 210 pounds with fluid, and bullet proof supposedly, same trans they put in trucks with high towing capacity's, and it was in the automatic corvettes for a while.

This thing drives like a dream, gets up to speed real easy, transmission shifts SO god damn smooth, and it just floats over bumps. its kinda like driving a giant ship, because you can feel the size and weight, but it just GLIDES over bumps and ****. its pretty epic.

wanted something UNIQUE and comfy. I think I found the perfect car for daily driver duty.

full leather seats inside, that are soft like butter. carpet is stained bad, so it will probably be replaced instead of cleaned. Dash has NO cracks or anything, 99% of everything works inside, other then the odometer, and gas gauge.

I dig it, but its going to be some work. Plan on new wheels/tires, try to do something with the paint, etc. basic restore, and then start pumping some power into this big bastard. first I gotta sort the stupid hood latch not working, and the retarded hood pins, and HID head lights:eek:

full bolt ons these 4500 beasts run high 13's. head/cam OR a little nitrous they can get into the 12's.

So I figure a 70mm turbo, about 10psi, should get me into the low 13's high 12's at my elevation after I sort out a stall converter, some slicks and such. that would be plenty power for a daily driver, and enough to really hurt some feelings at the track.

so go ahead and hate mo ****a's. cuz I know you gonna!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Whats the weight on that thing ?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
any plans for wight reduction ? Ive heard of those things being bad ass when there done right as far as power and looks go.....Nice paint, and drag style wheels and some meaty tires on the back, will be the key IMO....But please dont do any gay ass ricer 22" wheels

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any plans for wight reduction ? Ive heard of those things being bad ass when there done right as far as power and looks go.....Nice paint, and drag style wheels and some meaty tires on the back, will be the key IMO....But please dont do any gay ass ricer 22" wheels
pretty much going to follow this to a T

I was thinking flat black paint, steel cheap rims for the street, and some racing rims for the track. at this weight, I wouldn't trust any aluminum rim on this car on the street, hit a pot hole and they would cave.

I do plan on weight reduction, but nothing that will sacrifice the ride/comfort of the car. Its one of the last "body on frame" cars, so a lot of the weight is the fact it has a full frame, its also VERY beefy. plus its a chevy 350 motor, they are like 600lbs, and the trans is just over 200lbs with fluid. everything in this car is heavy.

slicks for the track, and I might start with some nitrous just for giggles, and since I have an entire extra kit. but idk, I won't want to tear this thing up before I even get going.

I do plan on hitting the track in its current form to get a baseline. By my calculations, it will run low 18's, high 17's at my elevation, haha

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
lol......definitely get a base line just to show you how far you've come when shes all said and done, good luck with her and keep us updated......

I wish all you guys lived near me, it would be fun to help with all the projects

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol......definitely get a base line just to show you how far you've come when shes all said and done, good luck with her and keep us updated......

I wish all you guys lived near me, it would be fun to help with all the projects
i don't think ill post updates in here, will piss off the mods.

maybe leave a link in my sig to the buickforums when I have updates.

yea, I just wanted something different. mustang is starting to get expensive to mod any further.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Since it already has a caprice hood,you could do a "Impala SS wagon" and put a rolled rear pan with four taillamps,impala SS rims. and it will look cool as ****.imo

·
Registered
616 Posts
700R4's are so hit or miss... When they're good they're good and when they're bad they're absolutely terrible. If it starts giving any trouble at all just replace/rebuild it. It'll only get worse and usually pretty quick. Should be a fun car though! I always thought it'd be fun to do something like this and watch somebody go :eek: when they hear it kick down and roar to life.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since it already has a caprice hood,you could do a "Impala SS wagon" and put a rolled rear pan with four taillamps,impala SS rims. and it will look cool as ****.imo
yea ive been looking at them. I really like the SS wheels, but there a bit "flashy" for how the paint looks right now. If the previous owner would have left the wood panel's on, the car would look pretty good. but no, they tore the junk off, and painted what was under it flat black:eek:

700R4's are so hit or miss... When they're good they're good and when they're bad they're absolutely terrible. If it starts giving any trouble at all just replace/rebuild it. It'll only get worse and usually pretty quick. Should be a fun car though! I always thought it'd be fun to do something like this and watch somebody go :eek: when they hear it kick down and roar to life.

meh, what I have been reading is they are a-ok so far. Not a whole lot of info out there on the roadmasters, so I'm reading alot about the chevy's. Lots of guys putting 3000rpm stalls in these cars, which I think is a tad high since the swirl heads make the motor fall on its face at 3500-4000, plus peak torque is like 2400rpm. So I think a 2500 stall and a little nitrous out of the hole to get the weight moving would make a GIANT difference.

we will see how it goes. so far the plan is just to get it running good, and start replacing a lot of sensors, cleaning everything up and junk.

going to tinker on it today a little. roof racks are coming off as soon as I walk out there, and eventually I will remove all the roof rack junk and have that patched up. will make it look a lot better IMO.

emissions test is on Tuesday, we will see how it does, haha. hopefully they don't fail me for the cracked windshield.

oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention since these beasts are full framed cars, they have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs!!! haha.

That was another perk of this project, I can tow the mustang to the track with it :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
yea ive been looking at them. I really like the SS wheels, but there a bit "flashy" for how the paint looks right now. If the previous owner would have left the wood panel's on, the car would look pretty good. but no, they tore the junk off, and painted what was under it flat black:eek:

meh, what I have been reading is they are a-ok so far. Not a whole lot of info out there on the roadmasters, so I'm reading alot about the chevy's. Lots of guys putting 3000rpm stalls in these cars, which I think is a tad high since the swirl heads make the motor fall on its face at 3500-4000, plus peak torque is like 2400rpm. So I think a 2500 stall and a little nitrous out of the hole to get the weight moving would make a GIANT difference.

we will see how it goes. so far the plan is just to get it running good, and start replacing a lot of sensors, cleaning everything up and junk.

going to tinker on it today a little. roof racks are coming off as soon as I walk out there, and eventually I will remove all the roof rack junk and have that patched up. will make it look a lot better IMO.

emissions test is on Tuesday, we will see how it does, haha. hopefully they don't fail me for the cracked windshield.

oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention since these beasts are full framed cars, they have a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs!!! haha.

That was another perk of this project, I can tow the mustang to the track with it :D
We've never had any luck with them in any of the trucks we ran, and as far as I know they're the same transmission just different tailshafts. But I guess it would be fair to say we did beat the absolute hell out of them too.:eek:

I DEMAND pics of this pulling the Mustang. Sheerly epic.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've never had any luck with them in any of the trucks we ran, and as far as I know they're the same transmission just different tailshafts. But I guess it would be fair to say we did beat the absolute hell out of them too.:eek:

I DEMAND pics of this pulling the Mustang. Sheerly epic.
well hopefully it will be alright. I plan on a good sized transmission cooler, probably before the stall even.

haha, it will be a while before it pulls the mustang. can't afford/dont have room for a trailer, and the mustang is not serious enough to need to be towed.

When I start using the 150-200 shot at the track in the mustang, I'm sure I will want to tow it quickly. Track is a 45min drive with light traffic, so a tow truck ride home would be expensive.

look at this shizz :eek:
http://www.cusstom.com/data/media/8/ast_wagon.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
i think it will be a sweet project, the 700r4's like to shift hard in 2nd when they are worn. I had one in my 91z28 with 220,000k all stock. Good tranny.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think it will be a sweet project, the 700r4's like to shift hard in 2nd when they are worn. I had one in my 91z28 with 220,000k all stock. Good tranny.
Thanks man. The more I drive it the more I love it.

cracks me up when you stay in the throttle, as soon as it hits 3,000 rpm it falls on its face, and shifts at 4,000 rpm.

just got back from getting groceries, had the stroller in the back, two intake's I picked up this morning from the junkyard, (going to to make my own cold air intake, by adding a second snorkel to the box that sits on top the TBI) and we had our weeks worth of groceries in the back, with plenty of room to spare. could have fit another stroller, or another weeks worth of food in the back with ease, and not have to stack anything on top of each other ether.

im loving this thing! :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts