Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up on black friday from a friend for a good price..
However, I yelled at him for not taking better care of it. 07 gt with 50,000 miles. I told myself I'd never own a black car :banghead haha. But I decided to give this one some TLC. I've been detailing yachts for the last 3 years and cars for 6. I've never done black..

I made sure I gave it a thorough wash and spent extra time with a clay bar to help prevent any further scratches. Here's some before and after. A friend helped me on day 2. So far there's a total of 10 hours in it. I'm parking it for winter now and will re-visit the paint come spring time with some better products but this works for now.

Products/steps include. Hand wash with Turtle wax ICE. Clay bar with Mother's kit. 3m compound with an orbital and microfiber bonnet. Finished it with Steps 1 and 2 from the Turtle wax Black Box kit. By the way, very impressed with the Box kit. Really deepened the black up and gave it a nice gloss. I want to try some online stuff next year. Griot's garage and the like. Let me know your opinions and experiences. Thanks
Kyle

Before

After

Before:

After:

Hood after

Close up

Bumper before

Bumper after:

Rear quarter before:

Rear quarter after:

Rear after:

Top after:

Overall shine

·
Registered
323 Posts
great job, yes black is a hell of a color to keep clean! i had a black maxima for a while and as soon as its clean, **** piles up on it!

keep up the good work man

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Turtle Wax :facepalm: Looks alot better, but when you have black a polish is a must after compounding. Menz po85rd will do wonders. As for a wax for black, so many choices. Whats your budget? We will point you in the right direction.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Not bad but I bet after searching around here you will be amazed at how much you can improve it...

BTW griots can be bought at Advance Auto and some Autozone locations...

Griots Garage 6" DA
5" backing plate
(2) green pads
(2) yellow pads
M105
M205
Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
A Wax - Pinnacle Signature Series II, AGHD, or something like that...

I have a for sale thread going that might interest ya...

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...clearing-out-some-excess-detailing-stuff.html

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! this is exactly what I'm looking for. I would LOVE to be pointed in the right direction. I'm so bored with these every day brands. I can budget about $400 over the next 3 months. I wanna be ready to rock and really improve my skills and this paint come nicer weather. I was looking at some porter cables. But know nothing about the pads and online compounds/polishers/sealers/finishers. What's a good kit you would all recommend. Buffers? soaps ? Saw some vids of chemical guys BLACK? Thoughts?

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Awesome! this is exactly what I'm looking for. I would LOVE to be pointed in the right direction. I'm so bored with these every day brands. I can budget about $400 over the next 3 months. I wanna be ready to rock and really improve my skills and this paint come nicer weather. I was looking at some porter cables. But know nothing about the pads and online compounds/polishers/sealers/finishers. What's a good kit you would all recommend. Buffers? soaps ? Saw some vids of chemical guys BLACK? Thoughts?
The kit I stuck up there isnt the best buffer but for the price I am letting it go for its not bad...If interested PM me...

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There’s many many more but I didn’t feel like boring you all. Just wanted to share how well the paint came back on the jeep, and my other hobby is getting it dirty… funny how that works, and then a few good shots of a friend’s car and a couple more of a friend’s jeep that we did a quick detail job on. As well as a bike shoot.

Little comparison on the windshield/hood. She’s red if I ever saw red.

Believe it or not for not much paint surface this job sucked

and… all the hard work goes down the drain haha

just for fun.. dad’s jeep

Ugh

floors with seats and sub/amp out. Just a power washer, simple green, and tire foam made the inside brand new again. Don’t have any after pics but in short. It’s black and shiny again

How to effectively clean your jeep after mudding
Funny story, I stalled out here, hydrolocked the motor, pulled the plugs and cranked it with the plugs out, out shoots all the water. Spun the plugs back in, fired right up, and drove two hours back home hahaha. It’s definitely a jeep thing

Couple favs of my old car

Friend of mine’s shoot

Friend’s jeep I did

Bike shoot after a detail

..that’s all for now. Enjoy Son1c! :rockon
and for reference my stance on the old car was cj pony parts springs the equivalent of eibach's sport lines with no top iso's on all 4 corners. tokico blues shox/struts. mm cc plates and steeda bumpsteer kit

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Snow, mud, they do it all don't they. Never had too much fun in a jeep haha

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
Big difference in before and after!

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well finally got the christmas goodies. Now all I have to do is get the car hosed and suds down so I can go to town on this correction fun. woooooooo!

griot's DA
V34, 36, 38
Blacklight
pete's
citrigloss from CG
v7
a grid for the bottom of the bucket which I am stoked to try out!
and a random assortment of microfibers and applicator pads.
For the DA I picked up the hydro pads from lake country via SON1C's recommendation :yes
and lastly, some black onyx shine and cleaner from pinnacle.
I am ready to rock and roll !

·
Not a Vert
1,655 Posts
well finally got the christmas goodies. Now all I have to do is get the car hosed and suds down so I can go to town on this correction fun. woooooooo!

griot's DA
V34, 36, 38
Blacklight
pete's
citrigloss from CG
v7
a grid for the bottom of the bucket which I am stoked to try out!
and a random assortment of microfibers and applicator pads.
For the DA I picked up the hydro pads from lake country via SON1C's recommendation :yes
and lastly, some black onyx shine and cleaner from pinnacle.
I am ready to rock and roll !
Damn. Nice pickups man! I'm hoping for a da when my birthday rolls around in the next few days :naughty:

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
per a request. Here's the loot from my santa's helper. Not pictured is the griot's DA, hydro pads and microfibers of course. As stated in another post. Seriously considering wolfgang's FUZION and deep gloss. Also blackfire's wdps. meguire's 105, 205 and menzerna's sf4500. Lastly, will be CDV2 from chemical guys. (waiting reviews from moddedmach)

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Solid lineup! Post a lot of pics of you using them! Especially after v07 and blacklight, those are gonna be in my next order for sure.

·
Resident Ford Rep
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NEW TRIAL CORRECTION PICS!

I thought I was bad before... I'm now diagnosed with sever OCDD... Obsessive compulsive detailing disorder. So I finally cracked open the v36 and 38.. followed by blacklight and pete's with v7 on top of it all. I was really really impressed. Here's some before and after of the entire car. The trunk was the only area touched with the compounds and DA. Also used were lake country hydro pads. cyan tangerine and crimson. Here are my beginner pics.

*Also this is my friend's nissan. She is the one designing the logo for First Impressions detailing. Should have a final drawing here shortly. Enjoy guys and critics welcome! Again I'm learning the ways of the DA and how well these products work together. Any recommendations are encouraged.

Trunk before:

One pass with 36

two passes with 38

After black light

After pete's and v7.

I liked v7 but would really like to try deep gloss from wolfgang.

Hood before and after

Side before and after...
Some slight imperfections going on under the clear looks like.. Almost like orange peel I suppose. You can see it while looking close.

And a last poser shot :dunce:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts