Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, alright so I have a 2006 GT with a shaker 500 system. I want a nice sub for my car, and a new head unit. Idk if I want to replace the speakers/add tweeters or not yet. Mine are pretty good.
Also, idk if I want to get two subs or just this one, haha. I don't wanna spend TOO much. And with two subs, come two amps too, right? I'm still new to this. :p
Anyway, what i'm getting;
HU - Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD 5.8" DVD/USB Car Stereo Receiver w/ Pandora
Sub - JL Audio 10W3v3-2 (10W3v32) 10" Single 2 ohm W3v3 Car Subwoofer
Box - Single 10" Sealed Car Subwoofer 3/4" MDF Enclosure/Box 0.77 Cu Ft
Amp - Rockford Fosgate R500-1 (r5001) 500W Max PRIME Series Monoblock
All opinions/tips/suggestions is highly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Should do nicely. I would stick with the single sub. The W3s are a hell of a speaker. If you need more, you can always add it later.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a couple of suggestions for you. That amp is not powerful enough for that sub. 500W max on the amp and 500rms sub, you should consider a stronger amp and to be honest the amp is the most crucial part of the this setup, clean and strong power is the most important part; the amp is the real sound maker, the sub is just a vibrating tool for the amp. I usually spend more on an amp than I do a sub. Great sub choice though for entry-mid level though!

No you do not have to run 2 amps for 2 subs. You just pay attention to how you wire them; series vs parallel, so plan it out ahead of time. Dual voicecoil subs can help you get the resistance and power setup you want easier with 2 subs. Also they seem to be able to handle power better when comparing similar subs.

Also check the dimensions in the trunk, if you plan to put it right behind the back seat there is a the raised area where the wheel well it, I build a custom box around it as it was challenge for 12's, but a 10 may fit.

I have used many of those head units, they are great for some things but most are slow and clunky. You won't get many new features than what it comes with; and the gps is lacking compared to what a smart phone can do. I would suggest using a tablet mounted on the dash in front of a cheap head unit. I have an iPad with 3g mounted on my dash and it is amazing. It handles navigation well with a 3rd party app, music player is quick and responsive and allows playlists done from the PC. Also any app such as pandora, netflix, spotify, etc all works if you have 3g or use your phone as a hot spot. I just run a basic after market head unit under it with decent power output and an amp for my sub.

You can score an android tablet for $200 and mount it on the dash above the head unit between the vents and I would say it will be a much better experience, especially if you have internet access then google music streams everything and google navigation is the most amazing gps setup ever. Then whatever apps come out you could integrate into how you use your car. I am actually moving away from my iPad to switch to android if that says anything about how they work in the car.

To get a table mount go to proclipusa, you get a mount for your car and one for your device. usually $50 total. So $300 would score a tablet, cheap headunit, and mount vs the $250 for that one.

If you need tips or questions on your system feel free to PM me, I do all of my audio setup myself and have no issue helping some new guys get their feet wet!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh cool thank you for the information! Good thing I didn't purchase all of this last night, lol! Do I really need a stronger AMP to support this sub? I don't want to spend too much but I found this amp with 1000W - Rockford Fosgate PRIME R1000-1D Class D Monoblock Amplifier
Also, I was thinking of getting this HU instead, I don't really want a tablet - I don't really need a GPS and if I do I believe I can just connect my phone to this HU and it will appear on the screen as if I were looking on my phone (Android).
HU - Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD 6.1" Touchscreen DVD/USB/MP3 Car Receiver
But with this HU the USB port is in the way back, which is what I need because I will be hooking it up to either my phone or iPod touch. Now, when I have it installed, where do they usually run the wire to from the USB? Will it just dangle out the side or can they put it somewhere else? Sorry; still new to all of this haha.
Also, i'm not sure how i'm going to have my sub set up. My trunk is pretty big, I am not that artistic nor do I know much about this stuff so i'm not sure if I could make my own box or not; I didn't want to mess anything up so I just bought that sealed enclosed one; plus since i'm getting only one sub - do I really need a custom box? Maybe if I just had a giant enclosure in the back (With the box I am buying) and just have it all hidden sorta; idk lol idk what i'm talking about. But thanks again for the information, I just gotta figure out what i'm going to do with my decisions and what not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok so I checked out the Manufacturer page and the first amp you had picked does do 500W rms so that does match the sub, but on the link you posted it also says thats the max. So I would say I was incorrect on my 1st assessment that it was under powered. That amp doesn't actually say a peak power so I assume RMS was also listed as the max on the site you posted. Just a heads up, if you do add a second sub later the smaller amp would not be enough though.

That's a pretty sweet feature for GPS from your phone to HU, never seen that before I would go with it and let me know how it works. If the usb post is only in the back you can get a USB extension cable and feed it out somewhere easily accessible if it doesn't come with one. I know a lot of vehicles have them come out in the center console or glove box but its really a personal preference.

If you already have box then just make sure it fits, I was bummed when I already had a box and the trunk was oddly shaped so I built one. Hence why I mentioned it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts