Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't be quite as descriptive in the title as I needed to be, but this weekend I swapped to Termi front control arms with new Steeda X-2 balljoints and the car is making horrible (and I mean horrible) popping sounds when getting close to full lock in each direction.

Everything is tight, I checked it over a few more times after I had the initial pops and nothing has helped it yet.

I read somewhere on another forum about a specific torquing sequence for the LCA, is there any truth to this/would this cause problems?

For the LCA, I just put the bolts through, got them a little snugger than hand tight, connected the ball joint to the spinde (not super tight) then went back over the 3 and tightened them up a little more each time I went through them.

At this point I'm at my wits' end, have an annoyed fiance and want to set this thing on fire. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This may help, here are the full suspension mods:

Steeda Comp Springs w/ no isos
Tokico Blues
Steeda X2 ball joints
Prothane steering bushings

Whenever I was doing the LCA swap, I removed the lower ISO that I had been using in the front. I also think I may have tightened the front end links too much.. that shouldn't make that awful of a noise, right?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just to be sure... did you install the zerk grease fitting on the ball joint and actually pump it til the grease runs out the relief hole in the boot?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Im interested in this now. PLanning on getting the x2's.

Are the x2's completely seated in? Sway bar moving around?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to be sure... did you install the zerk grease fitting on the ball joint and actually pump it til the grease runs out the relief hole in the boot?
Installed the zerk fitting, but didn't pump it with grease until it ran out of the relief holes. I pretty much just pumped it until the boot swelled a bit. After reading another thread, I wonder if it's a grease problem. The guy that pressed in the joints for me greased them up and I didn't even pay attention to what kind of grease he used. May need to get a grease gun myself and pump them up with some synthetic grease tonight.. too bad I have to drive the car back home in its current state.

Im interested in this now. PLanning on getting the x2's.

Are the x2's completely seated in? Sway bar moving around?
X2's are seated for sure. I messed with the sway a bit, I had the endlinks way too tight before. I loosened them up to the correct specs but no noticeable change in the noise.

Drove the car into work today despite the noise, and it's just awful. It sounds like the joints aren't tight, but I really just don't know how that could be possible. I loaded the suspension completely tightened them down. Are the ball joint tapers different between years or do people use washers?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
I have some noise now but its just stock stuff for me and its all worn out. Hope you can find th eproblem

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting update. Hit a big bump on the way home and the cacophony from the passenger side stopped completely. Driver side still sounded like death though.

Upon coming home I put the lower isos back on and also regreased the ball joints a bit more. Are they supposed to have relief holes in them? or do you have to poke holes in them? I'm afraid I may have overfilled the driver a little.

Anyways, the noise has just about stopped completely. I think the springs may have been a little too short with no isos and not seating in the control arms correctly. I still have a little knock in the driver side when braking in reverse, and also while doing tight circles.. sometimes. I wish the noise was a little more constant. It's not 100% correct unfortunately, but it's driveable now.

I have a crazy amount of toe out and an overall ****ed alignment, so maybe that's what I really need to fix next.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are holes in the boot. Just keep pumping in grease and it will stream out almost like a pimple... haha.

I used Redline CV2 grease for those and any other suspension zerk fitting items; it doesn't get better than that grease wise.

What did you do with the spacers for the X2s? Did you use them? I originally installed them (they go above the spring) and did new poly ISOs when installing the X2s. The car sat kind of high with the new ISOs, so I removed the spacers leaving about the same ride height.

The noise you describe sounds to me like bad control arm bushings. Mine made similar noises pre ball joint install, and I originally did the ball joints to cure the noise. Take some silicone lubricant and drench the control arms bushings. Do one side at a time, and see if the sounds disappears. If it does, you can continue to lube them as need or replace them like I did. Good luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, thanks for the help.

I didn't end up using the spacers and I feel kind of ghetto about it, but I really wanted just a touch more drop in the front. I've always felt like the Steeda springs needed a little more of rake to them.

Good idea on the control arm bushing, I'll have to give that a shot and see if it helps out the noise. It's a ton better than it was, but since the noise is essentially the same as before it makes me wonder if the spring still isn't seating correctly in the control arm. I swear I've never had an issue with the springs seating before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts