Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I just installed a new steering rack on a 98 GT I just picked up last Saturday, everything is on and good, filled the power steering reservoir, turned my wheel a million times to get out the air, fluid level is good. Dropped the car, pulled out of the garage, and wheel is hard as hell to turn, no whining, no noise.. just hard to turn the wheel. The car had a Steeda bumpsteer kit on it, could the alignment being too out of whack cause this? I’m getting frustrated over here, I just fixed a shitload of **** on this thing the last few days and this was my last on the list and now this **** happens. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
105 Posts
With the new rack did you install new tie rod ends? Did you match the length of the tie rod ends from the old ones so it would at least be close to before?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to get them as close as I could, I can tell it needs an alignment but I don’t see how that could be the problem. Since this post, I bled off the power steering system, vacuumed it, put new fluid in again, and worked the air out, and still the same thing, once I drop it to the ground it is hard as a mother to turn. I’m out of ideas, I guess I was sent a bad steering rack, I folllowed everything on the instructions. So aggravating.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried to get them as close as I could, I can tell it needs an alignment but I don’t see how that could be the problem. Since this post, I bled off the power steering system, vacuumed it, put new fluid in again, and worked the air out, and still the same thing, once I drop it to the ground it is hard as a mother to turn. I’m out of ideas, I guess I was sent a bad steering rack, I folllowed everything on the instructions. So aggravating.
Was it a remanufactured one? I've heard of these issues when accidents happen normally and the internals could be damaged.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was, got it from LMR, I just wrote them about it being defective, so hopefully I can get this squared away and get one that works. My whole day today was wasted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah those days suck. Hopefully LMR can get it sorted out. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn’t the rack.. I flushed it again, and just took it for a drive, and it seems alright now, little stiff when not moving so fast but I think that’ll get better with some miles, I think there may be some little air bubbles in there still, my pump is actually whining a little on those slow moving turns .. but I only took it for a short drive down the road, my front suspension feels very sloppy and it was actually a little scary, so I have to try and get that dialed in a little more and go get an alignment. I hope it’s all good now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Could have been air pockets in the system, that happened to me on a 2005 F150 FX4 pickup. Changed the steering pump and had to flush the system twice before it started to act right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad to hear that you have found the cause of the problem by bleeding it. That alignment will make an improvement when you get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts