Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to pull the plug on getting some new shoes for the pony. Discount Tire did not have Nitto NT555s in stock at the moment and I was ready to make the purchase so I had the gentleman make a suggestion for a comparable tire. He recommended the Falken ZIEX ZE-512 tire (Size being 245/45/17/ all around) and so I made the purchase. I have only ridden them for a short amount of time (less than 100 miles) but was just looking at reviews, and some people have made less than stellar claims about the tire.

After looking into their return policy, I believe I have 30 days if I am dissatisfied to exchange for similarly priced tires. My question is this, does anyone have any experience with these Falken's on a Mustang compared to the Nitto? If I hear enough negative things, I may call them and ask to have the Nittos ordered and swapped out (I think the Nittos even came out to be a little bit cheaper honestly, but not by much) and just ask for an even exchange. Any stories or opinions on what you all think would be awesome.
Thanks dudes and dudettes!

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I would not think those tires to be the same level of Summer performance as the NT555's :(

They are an A/S tire, so designed for improved performance on snow/mud and such. I think that the person that recommended these tires as comparable to the NT555's is not quite up to speed on the difference.

Jazzer

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hrm. Interesting. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to ask about switching to the Nittos. Since our Winters down in SC are not bad at all, the snow/mud is not as much a concern, but still does matter. I was hoping you'd be the one to chime in Jazzy, I read all the suspension write-ups and now am trying to focus more on built suspension for corner drivin and stuff. ;P Do you personally think that getting the Nittos would be worth the trouble for the difference?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I see the NT555's as a better tire, but not by a huge margin. You may be in a bit of a pickle, as if you really want Summer grip for twisties, I would steer you to another tire altogether. The NT555's are a fine tire, but are a bit of a compromise between a great Summer tire and higher-mileage tire for a lower cost.

Better Summer tires, cost better money :yes

Jazzer :)

:lmao.... I said "steer you" and we are talkin' about tires :lmao.... oh, I kill me :D

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh you slay me good sir. I was just flipping through Discount's website. I also saw on a Focus forum there the ZE-512s were pretty heavily bashed upon. I paid about 136.00 per tire which was 591.00 out the door (Had a special where some tax was taken off). I have been reading a lot of stories where the Falkens have not lasted a very long time before getting replaced. What tires would you recommend me in a price range close to that? I really appreciate the time to help me out, tires are obviously not an area of expertise for me.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
My car had the Falkens on it when I bought it, and they weren't bad tires, and especially good in the rain. The 245/45's definitely had more grip in all conditions than the 315/35 Sumitomos that replaced them. I know that's not saying much, but they're not a horrible tire like the Sumitomos, and seem to last forever on my car.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long lasting were they for ya Bullitt? Thanks for lettin me know that, a lot of reviews are claiming they get low on tread really fast. I'm really only doing Daily Driving with the occasional spirited fun. No track, and no racing on the street or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I don't know exact numbers, but I had them on the front of my car for at least 2 years, so that's at least 30k miles driving it daily.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I'm still looking at tons of reviews in other tabs online and also looking at tires in the same price range at Discount + reviews. Still contemplating calling them tomorrow. Nobody happens to know for sure if they offer a dissatisfaction return per chance eh?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's and LOVE them on my Winter wheels :yes

I know, I know.... I am always pimpin' these tires, but are a wonderful tire that has superior grip to that of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, I had prior. I just did a bit of shopping for 245/45/17"s and came up with about $193 each at TR for a close-out price.

Call up the place and see what they can do for you.

Jazzer :)

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hrm. Those Michelins look really nice, and have fantastic reviews, but I think that price difference may put them a bit out of reach at the moment D:

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Yup, they are more expensive, but I only wish MY size was that price :(

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahahah, fair enough. I'd love to get into AutoX along the line, seems like a lot of fun and hard work to be really good. At any rate. For DD longevity and such, think I oughta call em up and ask about the Nittos? I'm so damn torn at this point, haha.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
I run the Michelin Pilot Sport (1st gen) and they're quite nice. I wasn't very impressed by the NT555, though I did really like the Nitto Invo. The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 makes the 1st gen Pilot Sport somewhat obsolete, so if you're into AX, those would be the tires to get next to going to a R-compound tire :yes

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well dang guys, these Michelins are extending out of my budget. It's gonna boil down to either the Falkens or the Nittos for the time being. Just gotta decide if I want to swap to the NT555.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Go for the Nittos, I ran 3 different sets of Falken ZE series tires on my Celica and all of them wore out very quickly. The Falkens will be quite a bit better in the rain though. Are you able to extend your budget a little and get a set of Invos? They're sooooo much better than the NT555 (I actually don't understand why anyone thinks the NT555 is a good tire lol).

This is a pic from when I sold her. These Falkens had 10000 miles on them at the time (mostly highway from driving back and forth from MO to FL) and they were already down to the wear indicators.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I could stretch to the Invos, but I don't think I'd be able to unless they would lower the price, which I can't really expect. I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask first about Invo's and price, and if they can't, have them order the Nt555s. Hearing about how quick the Falkens run out of tread, I don't think I want 'em, being on a budget and all.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
I'm looking at 245/45/17 tires on discounttiredirect's website right now and the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 is less expensive than the NT555. If I were in your position, I'd go for the Hankook since they're a MUCH better tire than the NT555.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I Just pulled up the page for the Hankook's they had not shown up in my search at all before on their site, and are actually less expensive. Do you have experience with the Hankook?

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am seeing the Hankook with a treadwear rating of just 280? o_O

1 - 20 of 29 Posts