Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea i was lookin at that. Doesnt the 04 have an 11" tho? Ebay has the 04 king cobra for under $200 and it is an eleven inch one. Please do tell me if I am wrong I would hate to pull the lump out and have the wrong parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Jus checked the stats 425 horse at 550 ft/lb torque well over my stock engine. Stage one with 11" and 10 spline for the 3650 trans. How do I check to see exactly what is under the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a tko600 in my 2002 gt with a spec 3 clutch. Have a mgw shifter on top and love the setup.
Im getting the MGW ASAP i had one on the old T45 and it was literally one of those mods that changed the car. I really am starting to like the set up. I have the clutch fork about parallel with the pressure plate and the throw is about midway from the floor. I can deal with that as it actually makes speed shifting a little easier. The transmission is still very loud and almost seems to be getting louder. Did you notice that blown 02?
No i didn't, when i installed the MGW shifter there was no extra noise. The TKO600 was about equal or a little less in noise compared to the T3650. It was loud and noise with the T- rex shifter installed. Did you reinstall the sound deadener under the console?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
HalNutt

I think you have an 11" flywheel.

Blown 02

I have a loud whine in 1,2,3 gear on low load and deceleration. Its definitely a gear whine and sound bit like a big rig. I have the sound shielding in place but still have not adjusted my pinion angle for the new trans mount position. I used the Stifflers cross member and was not able to figure out how they wanted the bushings to be placed in order to fit the trans in properly. The way the instructions stated to place the bushings had the top of the trans running into the tunnel so I had to find a different way to install the bushings for clearance.

I'm guessing the whine will get better as the transmission wears in???

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
An update

The trans is still whining but the vibrations are gone. Almost sounds like it's out of fluid but I've checked that. The whine is in all gears but a bit less in 4th from what I can tell. I've adjusted pinion angle and am going to check centering of the bell housing.

Spoke with Tremec really didn't get much info. Liberty Gear says it's shimmed wrong from Tremec and that happens all the time. Bob Hanlon says sounds like the cluster is bad and needs rebuild.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update:

The trans does not reliably shift at anything over 5800RPM and started to leak out of the cluster gear bearing cap, SOOOOO it came out!

Figuring out what the whine is all about and adding some shift upgrades.

Hanlon Motorsports carbon fiber blocker rings, modified shift finger, and Liberty Gears shift rail upgrade. All seals and fork pads replaced, cleaned up and all tolerances checked. Flywheel resurfaced, Pressure Plate and flywheel balanced as a set, new Pilot bearing, clutch fork, pivot ball adjustment, and a rear main seal while I'm at it. Bell housing centrically aligned with pilot bearing as well.

Pics of shift lugs and a found a few broken Fork Pads

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Main shaft fully disassembled and ready for clean up and deburring The gears were burred up pretty good and I'm assuming that is where all that noise was coming from

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The "cluster" or counter gear was an absolute PITFA to get out. Had to tap the bearing cap forward until the o ring was visible in order to walk it out of the case. But finally got it and everything was ready for clean up.

Also,

All the O Rings in this transmission where gouged up when the factory assembled it. I'm not at all surprised that it started leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Deburring all main shaft gears and counter shaft gears by hand with a dermal. My lord what a tedious F%#$ job that is. I also cleaned up the 1-2 selector ring and replaced the 3-4 selector ring. During the process I also polished up the gear synchronizer hubs and took the glaze of the gear cones.

pics of how bad the burring was on 5th gear one of the better looking gears and a finished 2nd or 3rd gear cant tell by the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
The bellhoseing was .008 out on the right side and this was attributed to the driver side dowel being wedged in crooked (probably happened during one of the many removals of the trans). This was corrected using a square and the bell is now within tolerance at .0045. Also snapped a flywheel bolt off, that was fun. Then I installed the whole thing without the quicktime centering ring so it all had to come apart again. :puke

Well the car is on the road and at first glance seems to be shifting much smoother and the random RPM vibrations are gone. the clutch release when going straight is very smooth. The trans still has a bit of a whine in 3rd gear but shifts real nice. I'm going to break it in for 500 miles and then should know if its going to shift at anything above 5800rpm.

However,

When releasing the clutch and turning into my driveway I noticed the shaking was still there. The shake feels to be coming from the rear end and at this point I think it must be. The shake is so bad I'm sure it will brake something if not taken care of.

Could it be clutch chatter?

I don't think so if it was it would happen when taking off in a straight line. Clutch engagement is incredibly smooth going straight.

Could the PP or Flywheel be warped?

Not likely they where just balanced as a pair and this would have been found when the balancing was done. The car has no vibrations while driving.

I think that something in the diff is causing the shake but I'm not really sure what it would be.

Carrier Clutches worn, bad spider gears?

There is no shake when going straight so the ring and pinion are probably ok right?

Any help would be awesome guys

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My tko shifts good ive shifted at 6k no issues other than being notchy but i do have a vibrstion on deceleration.i did add a driveshaft spacer but wondering if i need the next size up. Also i tried to reuse my.pivot ball stud from my tr3650 and ended up having to buy a shorter one

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My tko shifts good ive shifted at 6k no issues other than being notchy but i do have a vibrstion on deceleration.i did add a driveshaft spacer but wondering if i need the next size up. Also i tried to reuse my.pivot ball stud from my tr3650 and ended up having to buy a shorter one

What size spacer did you use? I think mine is 1”

I have been daily driving the car for about 300 miles and it shifts so much better just tooling around town. I haven’t gotten on it yet but I’m willing to bet my shifting issues will be better if not completely resolved. 3rd still whines but the bucking is going away too. I am clueless as to what might be going on with the bucking but I’m willing to bet my 3rd gear is not totally in line with the counter gear. I’m not even sure how that could possibly happen.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Tko is known for being noisy i cant remember what size spacer i used is it only bucky in 3rd? What mount did you use aldo i used stifflers
No is bucks when I let the clutch out while turning or going up hill. I have the stifflers cross member as well, but couldn't set it up like they recommended in the instructions for a 99-04 with the TKO. If I set up the cross member the way they instructed the trans would run into the tunnel up top.

http://buystifflers.com/PDF/TCB-M20.pdf

They recommend Pic 1 but this had the transmission way to high. Can you post up a pic of your set-up I'll get on of mine up?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No is bucks when I let the clutch out while turning or going up hill. I have the stifflers cross member as well, but couldn't set it up like they recommended in the instructions for a 99-04 with the TKO. If I set up the cross member the way they instructed the trans would run into the tunnel up top.

http://buystifflers.com/PDF/TCB-M20.pdf

They recommend Pic 1 but this had the transmission way to high. Can you post up a pic of your set-up I'll get on of mine up?
Lol mine does.to i have to slip the clutch out i thoufht it was the tune yea ill try this weekend. I wish i had a lift maybe i can use my buddies

21 - 40 of 51 Posts