Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about getting some radials like some NTO5Rs than after reading about it I might as well put some silks on a 15in weld wheel for the track, but I have no idea what size or if y'all think that would be worth it, going on3 like feb so I figured I'd just do it now, plusssss look at that 60' :( terrible I wanna feel this hook everyone speaks of!!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
15x8 with 5.5" backspacing, or 15x10 with 6.5" backspacing

If you're on a budget look at the jegs brand of wheels, i think you can get them for about $100 a piece.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
15x10 w/ 6.5 backspacing... Hoosier 26x11.50 QTP or if you have power adder and 4.10 or higher gears go to the 28x11.50.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Definitely go with a 15 x 10... I made the mistake of going 15 x 8 because summit didn't have the right BS in the 15 x 10 thrust wheels I wanted. I run 26x11.5 qtps on them and although the tires sit perfect on the rim, I think the wheel is about a 1/2" to far under/tucked into the fender well. Also, remember if you have cobra brakes you will have to grind a bit of the rear part of the calipers. I forgot that Bullitts had them and then had to grind mine. If I could do it again I'd go 15 x 10 with 27/28 x 11.5 qtp.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely go with a 15 x 10... I made the mistake of going 15 x 8 because summit didn't have the right BS in the 15 x 10 thrust wheels I wanted. I run 26x11.5 qtps on them and although the tires sit perfect on the rim, I think the wheel is about a 1/2" to far under/tucked into the fender well. Also, remember if you have cobra brakes you will have to grind a bit of the rear part of the calipers. I forgot that Bullitts had them and then had to grind mine. If I could do it again I'd go 15 x 10 with 27/28 x 11.5 qtp.
How do 26x11.5 tire fit on a 15x10?? Would I have any clearance issues? Sounds bit for how close my tire is to fender/ wheel well already

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Advertised height/width is differnent from actual height width. Height is pretty much dead on, but an 11.5 Hoosier QTP is actually a 10" tread with about 11" section width. They're perfect for a 10" wheel.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
That's a slick. The ones I mentioned are Hoosier Quick Time Pros. They have two grooves cut into the circumference and a DOT stamp making them street legal. You can't find the size I quoted cause you're not looking at the QTP. They're the same compound as the slick, still wrinkle wall bias ply.

here you go:

Hoosier Quick Time Pro D.O.T. Tires 17421QTPRO - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the difference in the qtps and a slik? One better?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
QTP is street legal. Slick is not. There is a slight difference in the carcass as I understand but the rubber compound is the same. I prefer the QTP because it is a "street tire" and allows me to race in a street legal class.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Not really an expert, but I'd say the qtps probably last a little longer and hold air a bit better. Plus if you get stopped by cops you're good to go. Whatever you decide to get I recommend coating the entire inside of the tire with dawn dish-soap. People claim it works and I've heard Hoosier recommends it, what it does is it prevents the tires from leaking air over time (the rubber is very porous and soap seals it up) and so far for me it's done just that!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Never heard of such, not saying it's not true, I've just never heard of it. I've also never had any probem with air leakage unless i've used wheel screws to secure the beads (on slicks and DOTs).

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Never heard of such, not saying it's not true, I've just never heard of it. I've also never had any probem with air leakage unless i've used wheel screws to secure the beads (on slicks and DOTs).
I didn't hear of it either until right before I bought them, I was researching slicks/dot's and a good amount of people said sometimes they leak from setting for weeks or more at time, and that the soap method helps. I decided to do it just in case, it couldn't do anything but help.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not too much more than the ntos I was lookin at too, what kinda launches you think I could pull with these? Only have even racedon street tires, I got bfg sport comp 2s and I launch 2200 and I gotta baby it till 3 rd with no nitrous

1 - 20 of 29 Posts