Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start out by thanking everyone for the all the advice that I have read so far. Have been able to get a lot of information from just reading and its been extremely helpful so far.

I used to have a '01 v6 which was my first mustang but just recently upgraded to a '08 GT/CS which I so far love. I only got the CS because I found a great deal on one, and so far I can't complain :D

So far I have gotten a JLT CAI and tuner (running a Bama 93 perf tune), corsa extreme axle backs and an MGW shifter (running 6 turns but may go to 4 or 5 as its a little notchy). So far I'm more than happy with my mods.

I just have a couple questions about what I plan to do over the next year or two. I think I would like to go with a supercharger down the line (think next summer at the earliest) but I'm almost certain I will never get into forged internals as this is only ever going to be a daily driver, in the summer months. I think my plan of attack is to do suspension first, then wheels and tires since my tires are in good shape now and then do the supercharger.

My suspension plans are:
- Steeda Ultralites or BMR springs
- Non-adj shocks/struts (Koni Yellows, Bilsteins HDs or Tokico HPs?)
- LCA
- Adj Panhard
- I'm guessing I'll need camber bolts, upper strut mounts and possibly control arm relocation brackets to round it out

I was initially thinking BMR springs because they don't have much drop and being in Pittsburgh with our awful roads and hills I don't want clearance issues. I'm looking for only about 1" or 1 1/4" front and 1 1/2" rear. Then I read that Steeda Ultralites have the better ride, but read their drop is more than Steeda lists at 1 1/4" front and 1 1/2" rear which has me worried. Anyone have the Ultralites and record the actual drop?

Being a DD I don't think I need adjustable shocks. Anyone have any comments on the shocks/struts I listed or any other suggestions?

Last question. For a supercharger, knowing that I probably will never go forged, is the M90 sufficient. I think that I want to go away from centri being a DD and I want that lower end torque. I dont see the need for the TVS as I would never see its potential. Any other suggestions here?

Wow, that was almost painfully long :eek:

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I've got adjustable shocks and I'm a DD so I don't think that should be your reasoning to not get them. It's really nice to be able to dial in the ride. Now onto the springs.. Maybe you saw my thread. The Steeda springs and the BMR springs should be right around the same drop from what I saw otherwise the Steedas should technically be lower. I will say that Steeda can say whatever they want about their springs but considering I've got both of them in this house I will say the Steeda Sport springs ride much nicer. Sam Strano has even said the same thing and he knows his suspensions.

As far as the M90, as long as you're happy with modding it to only get around 450 rwhp and okay with not getting more than that it's a great blower. Just remember most people will want more and get tired of the power they get!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nasty said it all, I told myself id only do exhaust and tint... I came from a 180hp tibby so I thought this would be enough, 4.10s intake tune rims and lca's later and I'm still itching for more. Buy a blower you can upgrade later on, because trust us you will want to. Im looking at the vortech b4 from brenspeed, its under 4k and you can upgrade to an intercooled set up in the future.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Well i would say for a DD 450 at the wheels is a pretty good number! that is about all i want at the wheels, then time to do full suspension and make the car look really really awesome! then quit dumping money into it... dont think that last part will happen, but you get the picture!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome. I am in the same boat as you. I have questions on here about the same things. They have been very helpful on here. Have you looked at the BMR lowering kit, it has what you want. Just add the shocks/struts and LCA.

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Lowering Spring Packages | LSP001 - Lowering Spring Package, Coupe | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

Rear Shocks:

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Shocks | 8750 1008 - Koni Shocks, Rear, Street,Pair | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

Front:

2005 - 2011 Mustang GT | Shocks | 8750 1030 - Koni Shocks, Front, Street,Pair | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

Actually DRock found the same shocks/struts here cheaper,

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

I have heard this kit is good. Not sure if this will help. Good luck.

Oh and did you check out the Votech SC kits on brenspeed or American Muscle? I also heard these were good kits.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Welcome to MM, fellow Cali Special!

And whats scary, is that is pretty much what I want to do to my car. Roush M90, BMR Suspension, MGW Shifter, 3.73s, and JLT Cai. Except when mine is all done, I want a full Cervini C-500 body kit as well. Is yours black with silver/black 2 tone interior? :shiftyeyes

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
welcome and personally if you are able to afford it i would suggest going with the tvs from the start whether you plan on upping the boost later or not. the lower boost with the tvs will be more efficient than maxing out the m90. just buy a straight up base kit and you'll be near what the m90 is maxed out and you'll be there w/o any other mods.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
welcome and personally if you are able to afford it i would suggest going with the tvs from the start whether you plan on upping the boost later or not. the lower boost with the tvs will be more efficient than maxing out the m90. just buy a straight up base kit and you'll be near what the m90 is maxed out and you'll be there w/o any other mods.
Agreed. For the $900 more, youre getting a mucccchhh better option.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I think the Koni Yellows are adjustables, I think. The Koni oranges STR.T aren the non adjustable, I have them on my car and love them. I dont' go to the track so i have no use for the ADJ, just my opinion..

Welcome to MM!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nasty, yea I think it was your thread I read on the Steeda springs. So you would recommend the Steeda sport springs? Do you have any comparison between them and the BMR springs?

Fireman, I started looking at the BMR kit then I started to sway toward Steeda springs because I read they have a better ride and comparable drop. I don't want a vortech because I don't think that centri is best for my use. I'm more looking for a roots blower like the M90 or TVS. I'm open to other roots suggestions but Roush seems to be about cheapest, easiest to install and upgrade.

08GTCS, no mine is Vista Blue ;) and I forgot to put 3.73 gears in my post but they are on my list and may actually be next in line. Not sure if I should go gears, suspension, wheels, charger or suspension, wheels, gears, charger. I can probably have some fun with the gears if I do them first :D

Mikey, I was hoping I could find a better deal on a M90 that wouldnt only make it $900 more for the TVS. If thats what it ends up being I'll probably just go TVS just so it retains its value better and I'm not pushing it too hard.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Nasty, yea I think it was your thread I read on the Steeda springs. So you would recommend the Steeda sport springs? Do you have any comparison between them and the BMR springs?

Mikey, I was hoping I could find a better deal on a M90 that wouldnt only make it $900 more for the TVS. If thats what it ends up being I'll probably just go TVS just so it retains its value better and I'm not pushing it too hard.
Yes, I'd highly recommend them. Combined with a good set of adjustable shocks like the Konis or even Tokico D-Specs you'll love the way your car rides. I promise! Comparisons? As in photos showing both? No I don't.

The TVS is definitely a beast. Just remember even if you "only" want 450 rwhp you'll need to get the VMP 500 hp kit to get even close to that. Than even there, the TVS is going to make WAY more torque at 450 rwhp. Another nice thing about the TVS is if you ever decided to get a 5.4L 4V out of the GT500 you'll be able to use your TVS!

Here's a dyno graph when I was running 8 lbs of boost on the TVS.

Here's a dyno graph of now running 11 lbs of boost on the TVS.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't know if you have ever road in a car with the BMR springs and if you preferred the Steedas over them. That's all.

Do I need a bigger pulley than comes from stage 3 TVS kit with stock internals?? I think I read that once you get over 450 you really start to change blowing the engine if you dont have a great tune. I probably will be wanting to start around 425RWHP to be safe as I don't really know any tuners around here so I'm not sure who I can trust.

Are the below two kits the same? What boost are these kits and what rwhp can I expect just with this kit? Sorry I'm new to this and just starting to get it. I understand smaller pulley = turns faster = more boost but I don't know which pulleys give which boost. Thanks!

ROUSH Performance: 2005-2009 Mustang GT Supercharger

2005-09 Mustang GT Roush Roushcharger TVS2300 Supercharger Kit - Tuner

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I didn't know if you could get a kit straight from VMP or not. That looks like what I want to start with. So does the 500hp vmp kit fit the m90 and the tvs? I thought it was just a m90 kit.

This is kinda far out for me anyway but I would like to get my plan worked out. I gotta get my suspension worked out first.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
No the VMP 500hp kit is only for the M90.

The TVS is only going to be limited by the pulley size. Basically all you need to do is tell Justin how much power you want to run and he'll set you up with the right pulley. I've ran three different pulleys on my car and these are the results.

8 lbs - 463 rwhp
10 lbs - 506 rwhp
11 lbs - 530 rwhp

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
My .02:

Get the Steeda sport springs.

Get Koni yellows or Tokico D-Specs (both adjustable)

Get the TVS. I could elaborate on all, but trust me...that is an awesome setup. See garage.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was going to get the Koni Yellows, but the freaking front struts have been on back order for like a year now... they are alwaaaays on back order. So if you have time to wait if that is what you are set on, then go for it!! I just went with the non Adjustable Koni Strts and they do it just fine for me. I am a daily driver too with a 1.5in drop all around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts