Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new to the world of the Ford Mustang. I am making the switch from GM to Ford! I used to drive a 97 grand prix gtp but now that she is gone I'm making the move to a mustang gt. I plan on buying a 97 or 98 mustang gt from a dealership and plan on going for the coup with a 5spd. I was just wondering what kind of mods,tweaks or improvements to do to this car to get the HP up to the gtp level or beyond. Im looking for a good DD but something with a good amount of power when i need it. I don't know alot about these engines or these cars I am doing research but i would like personal opinions as well. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!!:D

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:welcome

I think you'll enjoy the switch ;)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
get a 99+ they have better heads, intake, and cams so you have a better platform to start with

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that but i like the body style and the car is cheap($3500) and in great condtion with 80000 miles and a new clutch i cant find a better deal down here im looking to get around 260 dependable RWHP i dont need to kill myself and she wont be seeing the strip alot

·
Registered
437 Posts
you can do a PI swap for a few hundred, (PI swap= power improvement. its where you take the heads, cams, and intake manifold from the 99-04 GT's and put it on your engine.) that will be good for around 230-240is rwhp. if you need more then you can get a nice set of cams and that should bring you up to around 270-280+ or so. oh, and welcome! :D

·
Registered
923 Posts
And it shouldn't be hard to match that 97 gtp, it's only a supercharged 3.8L v6

·
Registered
525 Posts
pi swap it or find one already swapped. you could also put some 4.10s in the rear that will improve the pickup

oh and welcome to mm

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I think a P.I. swap and some gears will put a big cheesy grin on your face everytime you hit it.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
739 Posts
i got 410s and mine believe me it feels great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was reading into the PI swap doesn't sound bad and sounds about around the price range what all would i need to do to the block to make that happen and how much power can the trans hold before i have to beef it up or swap it out and do i need the ecu from the donor car ...btw bostonpeformance that "only" 3.8 supercharged engine would eat most stangs i could find. stock it puts down 230 after i was done it put down 260 whp it was a very fast car for what it was and deff a sleeper but now im looking for a rwd with a manual and i happen to be friends with mustang enthusiasts who swear by these and i am impressed with the platform

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
no ecu, just cam heads and intake, for the max gain out of the set up, trans should be good for well above what you get from that, i dont know the exact rating though

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok seems simple enough and does it all just bolt on no other things just unbolt and bolt in and wow no ecu or trans upgrade thats badass.. with my honda i had to switch everything with a head swap and would any of you recommend junkyarding the parts for this swap also what kind of fluids do these cars run best on im a fan of enos oil

·
FucusRuckus
1,670 Posts
yea cause its a stock for stock switch, although you might want to get a tuner and get it professionally tuned to run better

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
welcome to the board and enjoy. there is plenty to do with a npi to make them run. the question you had about the block, dont even worry about it. these blocks are very very strong and will hold damn near anything. studded, girdled, deburred, and a set up that will hold together, these blocks will hold 1khp+ no issue. the pi swap will net you a hair over 10:1 compression. with a decent set of ported heads, good set of stg 2 cams, pi intake manifold, header back, tune, you can see up around the 300rwhp mark.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts