Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone im new here anyways i need your help i just bought a very very clean 2004 mustang gt with the 5 speed and 73,000 miles on it. the car scoots on down the road fine and dandy but what are so low budget engine mods do give me a few horses? right now the car is all stock except for exhaust. its my daily driver so nothing to crazy! thanks again

:facepalm:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
gears, 4.10's doesn't add power, but plants your firmly to the back of your seat while smiling

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Agreed, gears are perhaps your best mod. But, 4.10s are not for everyone. Depending on your driving environment 3.73s might be best. This has been a subject of endless disicussion on this forum. If you use the search feature you will see all of our arguments.

The next best thing is a handheld tuner with a 93 octane tune.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gears are not good for a daily driver

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered a bama tuner sf3 tuner and I'm either gonna order a k&n stock drop in replacement or get the cold air intake which is better like is the cold air intake worth the extra 150$

·
Registered
655 Posts
I ordered a bama tuner sf3 tuner and I'm either gonna order a k&n stock drop in replacement or get the cold air intake which is better like is the cold air intake worth the extra 150$
You really won't see any gains from either the drop in filter or the CAI. Gears will really wake up your car, and 3.73s are fine for a daily driver as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gears are REALLY worth the money, by far the best mod I ever did....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
1.gears
2.flsfc
3.tuner
4.suspension
5.supercharger/turbo

Bolt-on's aren't great for adding a ton of power but I have had good luck finding stuff on craigslist and on forums for sale for good deals. I haven't had my car reallly long and don't have a ton of money to put into it right now so I am always looking for a good deal. If it only adds 5hp, then at least I learn something in the process. It's worth it to me for the learning experience. Alot of other people will tell you not to bother with most bolt-on's at all but it depends on your budget and overall goals in my book.
:2cents

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
I gotta agree with the gears. I have 3.73's in my current car and live in the city. I had 4.10's in a different car and it was a pain in the ass. Plus any highway driving the 4.10's were too much. 3.73's are amazing!

Also consider a shifter. MGW makes the best shifter and it is a whole new animal once you install that. Shifter and gears are two amazing mods!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can also agree gears....I bought a CAI 70mm throttle body and a sct tune and was very very pleased.....one thing to look at though if there is still a stock intake manifold on your car go ahead and change that if it hasn't gone bad yet it will very soon

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
I can also agree gears....I bought a CAI 70mm throttle body and a sct tune and was very very pleased.....one thing to look at though if there is still a stock intake manifold on your car go ahead and change that if it hasn't gone bad yet it will very soon
2004's came with the aluminum crossover, the plastic ones were bad, his should be fine

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Gears are not good for a daily driver
Is that a question or a statement?

Regardless, best bang for the buck.....gears and nitrous.
Not sure what you ment either. Some people love 4.10s for a DD. Personally Id go with 3.73s but thats just me.

What are you long term goals? Sadly the 4.6 doesnt gain much power with bolts on. If you want any real gains you need to boost.

IMO the best bet is FLSC, gears, short throw shifter and exhaust so it sounds good. Then if you wanna go faster start looking into boost.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Agree with gears , they don't add hp but sure change torque at the tire contact patch . that's why they are so noticeable . Nitrous bumps hp but it also crazy bumps torque . Both are best bang for buck mods .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the input but gears are kind of pricey right???? I know u can get a 373 ring and pinion cheap but installation on the other hand that's $$$

So do most of u agree that a CAI is a waste or should I just do the drop in replacement for 50$ I did that in my old Stang 94 gt and I could feel a difference slightly

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would not waste the money on a CAI but rather if you are insistent on doing something to the engine I would do a TB and plenum. It will improve throttle response. This is of course AFTER INSTALLING GEARS!!! GET GEARS MAN! haha.
As far as improving just acceleration this would be my list:
1. 3.73's or 4.10's
2. Tuner
3. Short throw shifter.
4. Plenum/TB

If after that you still aren't happy then a forced induction or sell it and get a cobra.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Cai looks nice but gains are minimal , put the cost towards the gear install . You'll need a handheld tuner also to correct the speedometer after a gear swap .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.