Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys just looking to get back into the american muscle world that i miss so much, My previous car before my current bimmer was a 07 stage 1 roush, Pretty much my dream car.

Only thing that bothered me was the power problem .I was looking for a 400whp machine and the 07 just wasnt doing it for me, The 335i had potential for 400whp with 2-3 mods so i swapped it out.

long story short the BMW is pretty much a problem on wheels.. Injectors,fuel pump,Vanos. You name it, its broken or on its way out.

I know a couple guys over on BMW forums swapped their rides for the 5.0 but i never got any feedback from them....Just wondering where you guys stand with the 5.0 now and is it as problematic as the BMW.

Hopefully the next thread is titled " it just came in FINALLY! "

Sorry for the rant. Onto the new member flaming :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have driven many BMWs, including 335s, and none of them were as fun as my 5.0. It just puts a smile on my face everytime I get in the car. As for problems, I have yet to have anything go wrong, knock on wood lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever driven one with a tune? It really awakens the car x10. Right now with just a tune and methanol injection iam right in the 115-118 mph trap range.

In any case the 5.0 is just as willing to rip those numbers lightly modded also. witch is why i love it......Cant forget the beautiful v-8 growl.

the cons out way the pros with the BMW by a longshot. Its fun to have alot of power but every WOT i feel something is going to break.

·
Registered
701 Posts
No, never got to drive one with a tune. Don't get me wrong, the stock 335s are fun to drive, but yeah the growl of a V8 is just unbeatable

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick question the cam idle tune for the 5.0, Thats just an average tune with an option that mimics an upgraded cam sound?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I really like the new look of the 335's!! I can see why you worry, i bet every little break it 1000+ out of your pocket!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the new look of the 335's!! I can see why you worry, i bet every little break it 1000+ out of your pocket!!!
LOL you couldnt be more right. I had 2 pins replaced in my ECU that BMW "thought" was causing the problem

total parts cost = $0.89
total labor cost = $1020.56

I dont blame you for laughing.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
LOL you couldnt be more right. I had 2 pins replaced in my ECU that BMW "thought" was causing the problem

total parts cost = $0.89
total labor cost = $1020.56

I dont blame you for laughing.
jesus!

well, your paying for the luxury name and "quality" service!

I'm not hating on BMW though, they make quality cars, but like every car company you might get the lemon out of the bunch!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iam not exaggerating when i say this. Every N54 powered BMW i.e 135i,335i,535i ,x35i has a faulty high pressure fuel pump. Its replaced on average eery 10-20k miles but for some has went out within 1000 miles or less.

my car has been in service over 10 times for faulty fuel injection problems. O ya and like you said the BMW Tax from service to after market parts is just a cherry on top.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Uh, the 5.0 will spank the 335i silly....the only thing that comes close is an M3 and stock for stock, the 5.0 still beats it and for THOUSANDS less....for what you save in cost you could mod the 5.0 and have a 500+ rwhp BEAST that will bitch slap any Bimmer.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Uh, the 5.0 will spank the 335i silly....the only thing that comes close is an M3 and stock for stock, the 5.0 still beats it and for THOUSANDS less....for what you save in cost you could mod the 5.0 and have a 500+ rwhp BEAST that will bitch slap any Bimmer.
...but it's still not a Bimmer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
...but it's still not a Bimmer.
Yea, it doesn't have that name that you have to pay extra for.....other than that, it beats it in performance and I have been in a buddy's '10 M3 and my '11 Premium GT is just as nice and refined. Win.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No need to get so defensive lol.

The 5.0 is fast but not a rocket ship, Like i said the 335i is very underestimated. My car is currently in the 115-118 mph trap range with $600 worth of mods. Plus you could get a 335 for around $30k these days. so cost is really not an issue.

The only con is the fuel injection problems. The newer m3's are a cakewalk for me and any other tuned 335i. Stock for stock the m3 is comparable and from what i understand the 5.0 beat it in every category witch is awesome.

People have pulled 130+ mph traps with these things and have done better then 9.9 60-130 all on stock turbos. 520+whp on upgraded turbos.

Take it from a previous gt owner.....The 335 is no pushover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No need to get so defensive lol.

The 5.0 is fast but not a rocket ship, Like i said the 335i is very underestimated. My car is currently in the 115-118 mph trap range with $600 worth of mods. Plus you could get a 335 for around $30k these days. so cost is really not an issue.

The only con is the fuel injection problems. The newer m3's are a cakewalk for me and any other tuned 335i. Stock for stock the m3 is comparable and from what i understand the 5.0 beat it in every category witch is awesome.

People have pulled 130+ mph traps with these things and have done better then 9.9 60-130 all on stock turbos. 520+whp on upgraded turbos.

Take it from a previous gt owner.....The 335 is no pushover.
I dont really think anyone was getting defensive. Just as you are quantifying your 335 with letting us know its trap speeds, these owners are simply letting you know that the GT is a much better buy.

All things considered, the 11+ GT is just ridiculous. Most would be more apt to buy a brand new 5.0 vs a used 335 (Cuz you aint getting a brand 335 for 30 grand, or even 35K).

And as you yourself stated, it seems to be a money pit as well. As a BMW owner (5-Series[Ex-Wifes Car]), I know what it costs to own one of these vehicles and it aint cheap. No, I dont think I should have to pay 150 bucks for a ****ing oil change. That is just retarded.

One last point, as you stated, you are concerned that every WOT run will turn into a high cost repair, I would venture a guess that these guys dont have that same concern. Just a thought.

OK, take care all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I dont really think anyone was getting defensive. Just as you are quantifying your 335 with letting us know its trap speeds, these owners are simply letting you know that the GT is a much better buy.

All things considered, the 11+ GT is just ridiculous. Most would be more apt to buy a brand new 5.0 vs a used 335 (Cuz you aint getting a brand 335 for 30 grand, or even 35K).

And as you yourself stated, it seems to be a money pit as well. As a BMW owner (5-Series[Ex-Wifes Car]), I know what it costs to own one of these vehicles and it aint cheap. No, I dont think I should have to pay 150 bucks for a ****ing oil change. That is just retarded.

One last point, as you stated, you are concerned that every WOT run will turn into a high cost repair, I would venture a guess that these guys dont have that same concern. Just a thought.

OK, take care all.
Thankyou for replying in a mature manor, Shakinit is convinced the new 5.0 will "spank any BMW out their" witch we all know is not true so a correction was needed.

Plus its better to know my trap then my E.T. right :cool:

Yes their money pits
Yes their high maintenance
Yes i feel its going to break all the time

But that still does not make the car slow lol. Thanks for the advice but i already know the 5.0 is the best bang for the buck out their right now.....Otherwise i would not be here. Lets not make this about my car and more of the 5.0.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thankyou for replying in a mature manor, Shakinit is convinced the new 5.0 will "spank any BMW out their" witch we all know is not true so a correction was needed.
Maybe if you read closer what I said, you would see that no correction was needed. A stock new 5.0 will beat a stock new 335i. You're disputing that? I said with the money you saved in cost difference, you could mod a 5.0 that will spank any BMW out there. You seem pretty defensive about BMWs, so why are you even considering leaving one to get a lowly 5.0?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Maybe if you read closer what I said, you would see that no correction was needed. A stock new 5.0 will beat a stock new 335i. You're disputing that? I said with the money you saved in cost difference, you could mod a 5.0 that will spank any BMW out there. You seem pretty defensive about BMWs, so why are you even considering leaving one to get a lowly 5.0?
You're defending this car in all of the wrong ways. Your 5.0 is not the end-all-be-all of engines and it NEVER will be. People have different tastes in cars. I respect any Bimmer out there. They are beautiful cars and definately put out some nice performance and luxury.

Step off the soap box and chill.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes iam defending it,But iam only speaking the truth. Look i dont wanna piss anyone off. The 5.0 is the victor in this situation for me. Power,looks,sound etc etc. Something i love in my cars.

Iam defending the bimmer for what it is, and as i said before its one of the most unreliable car i have ever had.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes iam defending it,But iam only speaking the truth. Look i dont wanna piss anyone off. The 5.0 is the victor in this situation for me. Power,looks,sound etc etc. Something i love in my cars.

Iam defending the bimmer for what it is, and as i said before its one of the most unreliable car i have ever had.
Same thing my buddy says. He has a 2004 7 series he bought with about 25k on it. It was in and out of the shop every month it seemed with the extended warranty. once that ran out he started asking for my help :eek:

Let me try to list the last 6 months..
Water pump -shop fix screw that
Lower o-ring on the temp sensor. We fixed, 35.00
Transmission seal leak -Shop
Oil pan gasket leak. Us about 60 bucks
Head gasket leak. - shop and I didn't ask..
Not to mention turning off lights, resetting services and general upkeep. ( I didn't know BMW still uses the "disposable rotors")

Even with all of that there is nothing I like riding in better on long trips. BMW interior and ride quality is second to none. Short trips and back and forth to work, I will take my mustang as more fun to drive every day of the week.

Good luck with your decision. Durability was the main reason I traded my 2010 Camaro. I just always felt I couldn't trust it. If the mustang makes you feel better I am ordering a tune for it today. I have absolutely no worries about anything major on it..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same thing my buddy says. He has a 2004 7 series he bought with about 25k on it. It was in and out of the shop every month it seemed with the extended warranty. once that ran out he started asking for my help :eek:

Let me try to list the last 6 months..
Water pump -shop fix screw that
Lower o-ring on the temp sensor. We fixed, 35.00
Transmission seal leak -Shop
Oil pan gasket leak. Us about 60 bucks
Head gasket leak. - shop and I didn't ask..
Not to mention turning off lights, resetting services and general upkeep. ( I didn't know BMW still uses the "disposable rotors")

Even with all of that there is nothing I like riding in better on long trips. BMW interior and ride quality is second to none. Short trips and back and forth to work, I will take my mustang as more fun to drive every day of the week.

Good luck with your decision. Durability was the main reason I traded my 2010 Camaro. I just always felt I couldn't trust it. If the mustang makes you feel better I am ordering a tune for it today. I have absolutely no worries about anything major on it..

Yes the 5 and 7 series are good for long trips, But the 3 starts to hurt you back and upper legs after a couple of hours especially with the sport seats.
IMHO the s197's interior is much more cozy and comfortable then the 3, even on long trips.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts